WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Breaking Up the Smokeys at Newfound Gap

Recently, I ran into Winter Walker on the trail in Georgia. He recommended getting picked up at Fontana Dam and getting a ride to Newfound Gap (maybe after a night off trail) and heading South back to Newfound. Then reaching Fonanta again, resupply, head back to begin North at Newfound again. Says it is easier to hike South with the elevation gains/losses. In looking at the map, I can see why he says that, but I wonder what other experienced thru-hikers have to say about this plan? Suggestions? Thanks for your help!

That's a lot of shuttle arranging. It's all up and down up and down.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I'm a section hiker. This is what I plan to do when I'm ready to hike the Smokies. Sounds like alot of trouble if I was thru-hiking. But do what makes you feel best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    Recently, I ran into Winter Walker on the trail in Georgia. He recommended getting picked up at Fontana Dam and getting a ride to Newfound Gap (maybe after a night off trail) and heading South back to Newfound. Then reaching Fonanta again, resupply, head back to begin North at Newfound again. Says it is easier to hike South with the elevation gains/losses. In looking at the map, I can see why he says that, but I wonder what other experienced thru-hikers have to say about this plan? Suggestions? Thanks for your help!
    i think you meant hike south back to fontana.

HYOH if thats what you want to do thats cool,lots of shuttlers in that area.
    for a northbounder it is a good climb out of fontana dam and then alot of up and down to NFG. its a long climb but not that tough.
    after that the trail north of the gap is alot easier,alot of thruhikers do thier first 20 miler on the north side of the park.

Images

Not a cheap shuttle. I paid The Hike Inn about $100 to go from Fontana to Newfound Gap for a section hike. The trail is a direct route, but the road loops waaaay around. And of course you'll need to pay for the same shuttle twice.

If you are a thru-hiker you won't find the climb out of Fontana very difficult. You've already hiked about ~170 miles at that point, much of it steeply uphill.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i think you meant hike south back to fontana.
    Crumbsnatcher..yes, I meant back to Fontana..sorry.

Lots of driving to avoid a few hills. I section hiked Fontana to Davenport, and it's not too bad. For every up, there is a down, and vice versa, but if you want to use the shuttle services and the expense is not an issue, go for it!!

And don't worry about the "Shuckstack Fullpack" issue. Just gear down, take a few restbreaks and have at it!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I don't think it's worth it to avoid the Shuckstack and Clingman's Dome ascents, especially as several steep NOBO descents will now turn into steep uphills (such as Thunderhead). However, if you have the money you could have a shuttler meet you at Newfound Gap with a re-supply rather than heading into town or lugging a lot of food from Fontana.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Thats the stupidest thing I've read so far today.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Thats the stupidest thing I've read so far today.
    Sorry, Sky Valley..the only stupid question is the one not asked. I just wanted more experienced opinions. I've received them. I'll probably not do the shuttle like this, but rather may plan on a pickup at Newfound Gap to resupply and possibly get a nite's rest from the lack of sleep I'll be getting due to having to sleep in the shelters. After the rest, back at it. Thanks for the opine.'s.

Images

NOIW you're talking!!!

Reminds me of the guy in AWOL's book who makes it to Erwin and has the outfitter drop him off at the top of Roan Mt so the guy can hike back south to Erwin then be driven back to the same spot at the top of Roan Mt so he can head North on the AT all to avoid climbing a Mountain. I think that in this case why go for Newfound Gap when it's just as easy to drop you off at Clingman's Dome. I guess you will be taking the cog-rail to Mt. Washington also.

Take your time it's not that bad.

Not a bad plan for a section trip but WAY too much trouble for a thru. The fact that you have made it to Fontana means will be fine with climb into the Smokies.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I have never understood people tryin to get out of doing some part, or Mountain or skipping this or that... to me the struggle is what makes the AT worth doing, without the struggle or pain the reward at the end isnt nearly as sweet.

Around and about...

Since I'm section hiking breaking up the smokies is exactly my plan. Probably will do Fontana to NFG. Not sure about NoBo or SoBo. Still trying to figure out if it is best to park at Fontana and shuttle around to NFG and hike south or park at NFG and shuttle around, or park some place else and then shuttle back to the car both ways. I will be interested to see the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by JustADude View Post
    Since I'm section hiking breaking up the smokies is exactly my plan. Probably will do Fontana to NFG. Not sure about NoBo or SoBo. Still trying to figure out if it is best to park at Fontana and shuttle around to NFG and hike south or park at NFG and shuttle around, or park some place else and then shuttle back to the car both ways. I will be interested to see the recommendations.
    IMO, Fontana is the preferred/safer place to park.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd drive to Hike Inn, stay the night, and have Jeff shuttle you up to NFG the next morning.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++