WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Whats SOOOO wrong with this picture...

This is the Blood Mountain Shelter this morning... Yep, those are Cedar shingles... Yep, the Fireplace has been cemented shut... Yep, there were hikers in there this morning... Yep, someone built a fire in the back room... Place looked and smelled... Well... Burnt... Good thing they did not reinstall the windows or doors cuz people were burning them...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    This is the Blood Mountain Shelter this morning... Yep, those are Cedar shingles... Yep, the Fireplace has been cemented shut... Yep, there were hikers in there this morning... Yep, someone built a fire in the back room... Place looked and smelled... Well... Burnt... Good thing they did not reinstall the windows or doors cuz people were burning them...
    Stupid idiots
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Tear it down.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Images

Toli you read my mind was here to post that picture!

Images

needs some sunflower seed shells

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeGrice View Post
    Toli you read my mind was here to post that picture!
    Thats how I roll... Its almost like we were "there"... lol... I know it was cold brother, but thats why we went to Woods Hole... So we could have a fire and not S*** things up... Honestly, how much more disgusting was it than the last time you were there 3/4 weeks ago... PLUS, there were another 2 spots outside that people tried to have a fire...

maybe it needs to be a day use shelter only,or have a ridgerunner camp there like on springer mtn.
    some people just need a good ass whoopin'

Images

The world and the trail are full of stupid, inconsiderate, jerks! Although appealing, I doubt "a good ass whoopin'" would do them any long term good!

I wonder why the fireplace was cemented shut? Seems to be a trend with shelters, is it because folks did not clean them out?

Liability probably.

Images

I've never seen a trail runner do that much damage.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that most of the damage done to that shelter is by locals; the time of year seems to support that.

Sad

--louis

build it they will come....

Images

People are stoopuit. Which is 10 times dumber than Stupid.
    If I remember right, the fire place was sealed up because fires are not allowed in the area, in part because of the risk of forest fires, & partly because of people burning everything in sight; A "Hey, there is a fireplace, so we must have to build a fire!" mentality. :-( Sealing the fireplace doesn't seem to have helped.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that most of the damage done to that shelter is by locals; the time of year seems to support that.
    They may have been "locals" per say... I am... But the 5 people leaving the shelter that morning ALL had packs/pads/sleeping bags... I'm talkin' 60+ litre packs... S*** attached everywhere on their packs... Not sure how you roll brother, but you day hike w/a 60+ litre pack/bag/pad etc???

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    I wonder why the fireplace was cemented shut? Seems to be a trend with shelters, is it because folks did not clean them out?
    Old mortar and stone chimney most likely don't had flue liners and crumbling mortar would be a fire hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    They may have been "locals" per say... I am... But the 5 people leaving the shelter that morning ALL had packs/pads/sleeping bags... I'm talkin' 60+ litre packs... S*** attached everywhere on their packs... Not sure how you roll brother, but you day hike w/a 60+ litre pack/bag/pad etc???
    I don't think John Gault mentioned backpackers but locals.

Anyway, from your photo, it doesn't appear there was a fire the night before.

When I think of "locals", I envision the non-hiker type who are not schooled in proper trail techniques (LNT) OR common sense!

The biggest problem with idiots is that they don't know they're idiots. That's what makes them so dangerous.

++ New Posts ++