WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cool way to carry denatured alcohol

Came up with a cool way for an ultralight way to carry denatured alcohol to use or as a back up.

Images

A small cough syrup bottle works pretty well too. Hope your wife doesn't watch your video!

Journal Entries
    Images

Very UL nice job....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Not too sure I want to use a torch on flammable stuff in a plastic container. A small mistake could cause a major flame up in your face.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Risky, but creative!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Um, what UL backpacker needs backup alcohol? If you lose yours, you either don't cook, get off the trail and go to town, or cook over a wood fire.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Um, what UL backpacker needs backup alcohol? If you lose yours, you either don't cook, get off the trail and go to town, or cook over a wood fire.
    Sorry but not all about thru hiking. It has its minus's but also has pluses.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Not too sure I want to use a torch on flammable stuff in a plastic container. A small mistake could cause a major flame up in your face.
    Tha plastic is thick enough and there is no vapors excaping but yeah I thought about that while I was doing it......lol You could heat up a piece of metal to melt it i'm sure.

Hmmm, the cost/benefit analysis of this method doesn't look too good. A 3 pack of fuel stabilizer packets costs around $7. Seems like a lot of work to capture 1 oz. of "emergency" fuel.

I stored some in a bottle for several months ( a green one, sold on one of the UL sites) and it started to 'melt' the bottle, not leak out, but the bottle is morphing. That is a major concern. Small white cloudy nalgene bottles have worked best for me, slightly heavier, but wider mouth opening and thicker sides.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I stored some in a bottle for several months ( a green one, sold on one of the UL sites) and it started to 'melt' the bottle, not leak out, but the bottle is morphing. That is a major concern. Small white cloudy nalgene bottles have worked best for me, slightly heavier, but wider mouth opening and thicker sides.
    That is good to know. I've never kept them that long but I'll pay attention to see what happens. Thanks for telling us.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Hmmm, the cost/benefit analysis of this method doesn't look too good. A 3 pack of fuel stabilizer packets costs around $7. Seems like a lot of work to capture 1 oz. of "emergency" fuel.
    I agree 100%. But if you already had them I thought it was a cool way. But I would not go out and buy just to do it for sure. I had several laying around in my building. Gave me something to do.......lol

A+ used to do the same with little baggies....for PBJ's cut club sandwich style.

Images

Interesting. I use contact lens and eye drop bottles. They range in size from 1/3 oz up to 16 oz. I try to get the clear ones.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Interesting. I use contact lens and eye drop bottles. They range in size from 1/3 oz up to 16 oz. I try to get the clear ones.

RainMan

Iv'e been using nose spray bottles,they work good for atomizing spray, that'll scare the heck out of ya in to mourning if you not ready for it and prime and lite at the same time

I carry a couple esbit tabs for emergency, and flip the stove over if/when I have to use them.

Images

Little airplane size liquor bottles work well and are resistant to alcohol melting them.

Nice. But an electric hot knife / rope cutter is maybe a bit safer to seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I carry a couple esbit tabs for emergency, and flip the stove over if/when I have to use them.
    Ditto. Esbits burn longer than their equivalent weights of alcohol, making them a better fire starter in emergencies (thinking dual purpose, here). A plastic bag is all you need to carry Esbit tabs.

Since I use a Supercat, I have to piece together a pot stand from stakes stuck into the ground or a couple of rocks, if I should need to use Esbits.

Btw: I have a friend who told me that Wetfire tab burned longer and hotter than Esbits so I tried them - they don't.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Ditto. Esbits burn longer than their equivalent weights of alcohol, making them a better fire starter in emergencies (thinking dual purpose, here). A plastic bag is all you need to carry Esbit tabs.

Since I use a Supercat, I have to piece together a pot stand from stakes stuck into the ground or a couple of rocks, if I should need to use Esbits.

Btw: I have a friend who told me that Wetfire tab burned longer and hotter than Esbits so I tried them - they don't.
    I hear ya man. I wasn't impressed with Wetfire Tabs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++