WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Snoring!!!

Images

i don't snore, but my dog does. ask anyone at the NJ winter hang
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

If you know your snoring will disrupt all who are trying to sleep in a shelter, why would you sleep there? It is a matter of common curtisy. No different than going out of a full shelter to fart. I have been run out of a shelter because of three breaking the sound barrier. Two of which were father and son, and they pushed 'everyone' out in the middle of the night. When I woke up the next morning I couldn't help but to laugh. I didn't sleep worth a **** but, I never heard anything like that before.

Besides, snoring is good as it keeps the bears away.[/QUOTE]

one time in Ga, maybe the second shelter after springer cant really remember this dude was in the shelter with me and he lets out the weirdest effin' snore i ever heard. scared the ish outta me cause no joke it sounded like a snarling beast. I panicked thinking there was a bear or tazmanian devil outside the shelter and fumbled for my light, and I'm not the panicking type. I spent a few minutes nervously shining my light into the woods like an idiot when the guy let out another man-beast snore. I changed my underpants and went to sleep easy after that.

I snore (I'm told) and will tent in a shelter area if there are other hikers in the shelter. Now if I'm the only one in the shelter and then someone shows up late and it's raining, I'm not inclined to go set up the tent. Most of my AT hikes are off-season such that I haven't had to deal with the issue. Last April on a 10- day section hike, I was at a shelter alone when another hiker showed up. Told him I snored, he said no problem and we got along fine. My last night at Ed Garvey shelter, there were 3 middle-aged guys, all of whom assured me that I couldn't snore any louder than them. We were a barbershop quartet that night.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomer View Post
    If you know your snoring will disrupt all who are trying to sleep in a shelter, why would you sleep there? It is a matter of common curtisy. No different than going out of a full shelter to fart. ....
    Would you say it's any different that showing up at a shelter smelling bad? After all, ear plugs can block out sound, but I'm not sure how long nose plugs would work! Plus, a hiker can do something about his own stink, but a snorer can do little about his own snoring.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

My husband snores two or three times a week and has no way of predicting if and when it might happen. I've found that earplugs help except he gets pretty peeved when he wakes up and sees them sticking out of his nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
    I will throw things at any who snores. Most know if they do and you should spend your nights in your tent. And if you want to play games with me I wake up at 3am and have been known to wake everybody up who was acting like an a%%hole. I have been on the trail the last 4 years (some know who I am) and playing nice makes hiking a better experience. Sleeping in a public area should be taken seriously by all who are present. And yes the shelters are considered public areas on the trail because EVERYONE stops and uses them for one reason or another.

...if you wake everyone up @ 3am...YOU ARE THE A%%HOLE!

geek

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    IMO, if don't want the trail name ChainSaw, are self-conscious about it, or are concerned for others, tent. You have no obligation.
    Hey I think that guy is a member! careful now.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

if you think snoring can be bad in the shelters, try the amc huts.lakes has over 100 hundred people in an enclosed space. just bring earplugs.noseplugs dont seem to help with the smell.found it hard to breathe either way.

This is the dumbest thing I have read on WB.

Congrats.
    C’mon, I’ve been lurking on these boards for years, and that isn’t even in the top 100 of dumbest things ever said!

I am just surprised that the majority of comments here are supporting the snorer.

I understand it is a communal space and with that comes noises and annoyances and some tolerance is called for. My view is it also comes with a responsibility to make an attempt not to disturb others. One of the reasons I rarely use shelters is I like to get up and going really early, and I don't think it is right to disturb others. If I was a snorer, I'd think the same thing. If I smoked, I'd move away from other people before lighting up. Is that just common courtesy?

There are a lot of reasons to tent out and not use the shelters, and it appears that the fact that the snorers out there think it is your problem to deal with it is just another one for the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    My husband snores two or three times a week and has no way of predicting if and when it might happen. I've found that earplugs help except he gets pretty peeved when he wakes up and sees them sticking out of his nose.
    Had to comment... this was one of the funniest posts I've seen on WB in some time!!

Journal Entries
    Images

I will quickly share with you all that for years I have had a terrible snoring problem and three opererations later its down to a dull roar.... now my wife's snoring will wake me up and to be honest I have tried all the ear plugs and althougn they reduce the noise, they can't kill the noise.

My Back up is warm millk and 1 benadryl and nasal spray for myself. - puts me right out...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    C’mon, I’ve been lurking on these boards for years, and that isn’t even in the top 100 of dumbest things ever said!

I am just surprised that the majority of comments here are supporting the snorer.

I understand it is a communal space and with that comes noises and annoyances and some tolerance is called for. My view is it also comes with a responsibility to make an attempt not to disturb others. One of the reasons I rarely use shelters is I like to get up and going really early, and I don't think it is right to disturb others. If I was a snorer, I'd think the same thing. If I smoked, I'd move away from other people before lighting up. Is that just common courtesy?

There are a lot of reasons to tent out and not use the shelters, and it appears that the fact that the snorers out there think it is your problem to deal with it is just another one for the list.
    Okay, seriously, we're mammals. We all fart and sweat and smell and . . . and we all snore on occaisssion, some juts more than others. Even you move around and make noise during the night whether you wish to admit it or not. At what threshhold of noise does one become not welcome in a shelter? Are we to carry sound meters? Fartometers? Some are more prone to snoring just due to the way their throat is structured (soft palate, etc). Sleeping position can affect it as can may other things like air temperature. Other things that tend to increase snoring are weight, age, smoking, etc. But no one is immune to snoring on occaision.

This guy is just another reason I choose not to use a shelter.
    It's long been a standard, regardless of issue, an ******* is an *******.

throwing things at folks who snore? like most of them have any control over it or even know they do it. My wife complains that I snore. I recorded myself. On the recording I got the dogs, the cats, her, my grandbaby and I've even recorded my children. With the exception of pitch it all registered pretty much the same.

She just hates me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++