WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Boot heel play fix

I bought a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator's for my thru, the shorter cut ones not the mids, and they feel great and are comfortable. Also picked up a pair of blue superfeet from my outfitter for them as he suggested these would be the best insole choice for me. Only problem now is one of the boots has no play in the heel at all and the other my heel somewhat slides up and down a bit and I am concerned this will cause a problem after hiking long days. Is there a fix for this I have tried one different lacing technique to try and lock my heel in. These have got to be the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned for hiking and I would hate to have to return them and look for another pair. I just dont get why I get heel slip in one and not the other.

I wear the same show for about 5 years now. I have an odd gait. I get some mole FOAM, and use an entire sheet in the back of each heel. I cut a slight V to fit down into the bottom of the shoe, and mark and cut the top also. I remove ALL insoles when marking. I wear custom orthotics also. What this does is buffer the foot into the shoe better and also I wear out the mole foam first, and not the back of the shoe. I was wearing out the inside of the heal, well before the shoe was worn out. By doing a locking lace, I've eliminated the rubbing (blisters), and wearing out the shoe early.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I wear the same show for about 5 years now. I have an odd gait. I get some mole FOAM, and use an entire sheet in the back of each heel. I cut a slight V to fit down into the bottom of the shoe, and mark and cut the top also. I remove ALL insoles when marking. I wear custom orthotics also. What this does is buffer the foot into the shoe better and also I wear out the mole foam first, and not the back of the shoe. I was wearing out the inside of the heal, well before the shoe was worn out. By doing a locking lace, I've eliminated the rubbing (blisters), and wearing out the shoe early.
    What kind of locking lace do you use, have a link to it?

A video is worth a thousand words. CLICK THIS
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Thanks, thats the exact same way I do it, wasn't sure if there was other ways out there

One of my hiking buddies for the majority of the trail last year used the Moab Ventilators for the entire thru-hike (3 pairs). He said that he used them both with the stock insoles and the superfeet, and they were much more comfortable and he had less blister issues with the stock insoles as opposed to the superfeet. In fact, he threw the superfeet away about a week after buying them. Anyway, everyone's feet are different, but it may be something to consider. I will say that I used blue superfeet from Neel's Gap to Katahdin and enjoyed them (in Asolo's), but I'm fairly certain regular insoles would have been just as good.

I was "sold" a pair of super feet to try out. Figured why not, try them. Versus my $500 custom orthotics. NO COMPARISION. But like I said, I was born with deformed feet and legs and have been dealing that. The super feet didn't seem to hurt my feet, but I got bad blisters on the bottom of my heals. So I tossed them (should have returned them) after about 2 days/walks (10 or 15 miles), went back to my trusty orthotics, which are worn everywhere in all my shoes.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Superfeet are guaranteed so if you don't like them you can get your money back. i find most sales people don't know how to fit Superfeet to you.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    A video is worth a thousand words. CLICK THIS
    The sailor in me demands I point out, at the end of the video, she has tied her shoes in a double slipped Granny knot, you can tell easily because one of the loops i trying to go upward and the other downward. this knot is far more prone to coming untied then the double slipped Reef knot (square knot to land lubbers) the only difference is which direction the (rabbit circles the tree before going in the hole.) if you have trouble with your shoes coming untied go (around the tree twice ) before going in the hole (it's like a fisherman's knot then). dont just put to hitches in the loops, wont hold near as well. just remember if your laces are tied "correctly" the loops will hang directly side to side like a bow tie.

thanks go to JF ff the HTMC for teaching me that trick , I was forever having to stop take off gators, and lace my shoes back in HI.

HT1

++ New Posts ++