WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Source for LT info

I decided earlier this year that hiking the LT this August would be my "big" hike of 2012.

I've ordered the E2E and LT guides and a map and am starting to get an idea of what I'm going to be undertaking. Looks like transportation logistics getting to and fro is where the challenge is going to be. For that reason, I'm leaning towards a SOBO hike.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a forum, similar to WB, for the LT?

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

Here on White Blaze the Long Trail forums are active. There's also a Long Trail-dedicated forum at:

http://www.longtrailpodcast.com/forum/index.php

Me and a buddy are going southbound starting towards the end of July, I've made the trip before but a long time ago (nobo). I've found the Long Trail forum on here useful, I will also check out the other one posted - thanks for that.

It makes more sense to go southbound in my view because getting to the northern terminus can be tricky, the easiest way is generally to get to Burlington, then hitch or take a shuttle, the end-to-end guide lists shuttles and also the ATC has a very thorough list of shuttles up and down the trail. I've heard of a number of people successfully hitch to Journeys End in less than one day, Vermont is kind to hitchhikers.

Keep in mind the Grand Union supermarket in Johnson is gone, so you will have to either do a maildrop or hitch into Morrisville for a good supermarket, or take your chances in Johnson.

The section between Johnson and Lincoln Gap is the most difficult, about 70 miles, but also incredible scenery.

If you want to talk trail flick me a PM.

If there is any way you can postpone the hike until September, that would be much better. It will be cooler, less people and a touch of fall colors towards the end. Hopefully, there wouldn't be any hurricanes like this year. I'm real tempted to do the LT again myself next fall.

Smugglers notch is only about a day and a half south of Johnson, so heading into Stowe for resupply probably wouldn't be too bad an option. Though a mail drop to Johnson would save a lot of time. You'll also want to do one to the Inn at the Long Trail. Getting into Rutland isn't too hard, but it would waste most of a day.

As for SOBO vs NOBO, getting back home would be a lot easier from the southern end. There is an early morning bus from Williamstown to Boston and from there you can go anywhere.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is an early morning bus from Williamstown to Boston and from there you can go anywhere.
    As well as to NYC; morning and afternoon, run by Peter Pan. They ask hikers if they have ``camp fuel" and refuse to carry it supposedly because it is flammable. I am sure many of their non-hiking customers carry far more flammable things than those fuel canisters, and they do not even bother to ask.

There is also a Hertz car rental at Pittsfield airport, which does one-way rental and where you can get by local buses (Berkshire Region Transit Authority).

If you stay at Williamstown Motel (a rather nice place), the owner will pick you up from the trailhead (about 1.5 miles away) and drop you off at the bus stop (1 mile away).

I did SOBO at the end of June and beginning of July 2011.

I don't quite get the SOBO because of the transportation issues. Either way you have to get there or get back from there. For me I will probably be going NOBO since i can easily get dropped off and then I can sort out getting back at the end. Plus the southern part is supposed to be easier so you can ramp up to the hard stuff instead of being dropped right into it. should be good times either way. is it summer yet?

Images

Either direction is alot of fun and hard work. 90% of our LT guests are headed northbound.

One benefit heading north is the ability to utilitize the two outfitters in Manchester to make gear adjustments.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

The transportation issues are the same going north or south, but dealing with the more difficult end (north) while your freash is likely less taxing then at the end when your tired and just want to get home. So, do you take the easy way in or the easy way out?

But your right, going SOBO is harder at first and the climbs seem steeper going south than north. That can be a good thing if your knees don't like steep decents (except for coming down the back side of Madonna - now that's a decent!).

Since I live nearer the north end then the south, if I do another LT E2E, it would be SOBO again. I can get a friend to drive me to North Troy and then take a bus home from Mass.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Either direction is alot of fun and hard work. 90% of our LT guests are headed northbound.

One benefit heading north is the ability to utilitize the two outfitters in Manchester to make gear adjustments.
    Got my gear dialed in but Manchester Center will still suck me in for at least a day or two....best trail town ever.

I basically hiked inside-out in '07: starting at Rt. 4, hiked north to Canada, returned to Rt. 4, hiked south to Massachusetts. But I flipped some in the northern half, hiking Smugglers Notch to Appalachian Gap south. Logistics on the north end weren't a problem because between my hiking partner and I, we stowed a car in the north. He didn't hike with me for the southern half but I used public transportation between Bennington and Sherbourne Pass after parking my car at the Greylock Club in N. Adams and hitching to Bennington.

Like and many others who have hiked it, I recommend blue-blazing around Sherbourne Pass to hike right to the Inn at the Long Trail - the old AT/LT route for decades until recently. Enjoy a Long Trail Ale or Guinness and live music along with reasonable rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The transportation issues are the same going north or south, but dealing with the more difficult end (north) while your freash is likely less taxing then at the end when your tired and just want to get home. So, do you take the easy way in or the easy way out?

But your right, going SOBO is harder at first and the climbs seem steeper going south than north. That can be a good thing if your knees don't like steep decents (except for coming down the back side of Madonna - now that's a decent!).

Since I live nearer the north end then the south, if I do another LT E2E, it would be SOBO again. I can get a friend to drive me to North Troy and then take a bus home from Mass.
    For this trip it's not the trail that's going to be the issue - it's definitely going to be transportation arrangements. I'm sure it'll all work out - it can't be *that* hard - people hike the trail every year..

Images

You will love it. North of Killington it is a lot like the Whites. Mama Bowers B & B is shutting their doors this year. It was a great stop for me & my companion. But there are several nice B & Bs up north. Hitching is easy in VT. Many of the shuttles for norther terminus no longer provide that service, I looked into many of the Taxi services up there. They are used to doing shuttles to ski ares. I would gear my search in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I don't quite get the SOBO because of the transportation issues. Either way you have to get there or get back from there. For me I will probably be going NOBO since i can easily get dropped off and then I can sort out getting back at the end. Plus the southern part is supposed to be easier so you can ramp up to the hard stuff instead of being dropped right into it. should be good times either way. is it summer yet?
    It makes more sense in my view to go southbound for 4 reasons:
    - You can spend time at home and online to pre-arrange public transportation and shuttles ahead of time to get to Journeys End
    - Going northbound, the trail just gets harder and harder as you go, going southbound the last 120 miles are noticably easier (I've gone nobo before and agree with this concept 100%)
    - 100 miles is not nearly enough time to get in decent trail shape, therefore as the trail gets harder north of route 4, you might be 15-20%% stronger, but the trail is 40-50% harder, so you never notice this slight improvement in your ability or endurance
    - Finishing at the MA border, you are 4 miles from restaurants, motels and public transportation

Default contact the visitor center....

and they will connect you with other end to enders that are willing to answer any and all questions with sound advice.

I went NOBO and parked in North Adams for three weeks on donation this past August. I got a ride back to my truck after the hike. I put together some useful info at the end of my trail journal www.trailjournals.com/cori

Let me know if I can help.

Images

I arranged for Thomas Transportation (out of Keene, NH) to pick my little crew up at Journey's End Road and shuttle us back to North Adams, MA after my NOBO hike -- not exactly cheap but absolutely reliable and complete service -- I think it was about a $300 taxi ride (but you could co-op it with several folks). We had 5 people (so $50 ea.).

www.thomastransportation.com/

Images

The trail is much more "spirited" on the Northern Sections -- from about Mt. Abraham thru Camels Hump and on to Mansfield are definitely the most spectacular parts of the hike therefore I found it really special "earning these spots" after hiking 150 - 200 miles vs ending at the MA border. The trail really sets up very good going NOBO for a lot of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    The trail is much more "spirited" on the Northern Sections -- from about Mt. Abraham thru Camels Hump and on to Mansfield are definitely the most spectacular parts of the hike therefore I found it really special "earning these spots" after hiking 150 - 200 miles vs ending at the MA border. The trail really sets up very good going NOBO for a lot of reasons.
    This is kinda my thought too. Who wants to look forward to 100miles of flat walking? i'd rather see new and cool views and look forward to that. I also have a friend in Stowe that might join me for a few days or at least provide a spot for a drop box and resupply. My dad is also going to do a few days in the beginning to drop me (and maybe my cousin) off.

Who said anything about the southern 100 miles being flat? Please don't not confuse 'easy by comparison' to 'easy'. In comparison to the northern sections of the LT, the southern sections are easier. I will admit that going northbound and having Camels Hump in my head for a few weeks was kinda cool, it was exciting to get there, and earn it (I would not say that about Mansfield, that was a disappointment), the parking lot and 80 people along the trail was kinda lame. But yes, for this reason I would say going north is interesting, but southern Vermont is still amazing, Killington, Stratton Pond, Styles Peak, Glastenburg, Clarendon Gorge, etc...no lack of kick ass spots. Nothing wrong with going northbound, but most people I know who have done the trail, including myself, tend to say AFTER the hike that southbound makes more sense all things considered. Choose to disregard that information, it will be an amazing hike regardless. I wouldn't change my northbound thru-hike for the world, just wouldn't do it again.

A good trick going northbound is to backtrack back to VT 105 after reaching the Canadian Border instead of hiking down to Journeys End Road, VT 105 has some traffic and you could be on your way towards Burlington before you know it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++