WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Caratunk, ME

Easyhiker

Default Caratunk, ME

Info, questions, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Caratunk, ME

Past hikers - what can future hikers expect here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Not a whole lot here; the general store has closed. If you want to overnight, the B&B in the center of town is reputedly very nice, but I always stay at Rivers and Trails, which is run by Steve Longley, the former Kennebec River ferryman. there is also EXCELLENT short-term resupply at Steve's.

Default Carratunk House B & B

in 2001, the Carratunk House B & B had a good food selection for thru-hikers. But you really don't need to buy much because Monson is only 30 plus miles away.

The B&B also makes a trip nightlty into town for pizza, beer, supplies, etc. They serve a kick-ass breakfast too.

The Caratunk house was great. They've got really nice beds in the main sleeping room (and some private rooms). My experience squares with Lone Wolf and Peaks. The hiking from Caratunk to Monson is pretty easy.

I met Steve Longley in 2000 when he ferried us across. He definitely was not happy with his situation (I assume he is much happier now that he is not doing the ferrying), but he was pleasant, helpful and kind. Later, he stopped to pick us up while we were thumbing to a pizza stand, even though he knew we weren't staying with him.

I did the section from Stratton to Monson last week.

There was a register entry which stated that Steve Longley was "hiker unfriendly" at the moment due to some problems he had, and the suggestion was to use the Caratunk House (right off the trail) which was more hiker oriented.

This is an uncorroberated staement, so by all means if you want to stay at Steve's, give him a buzz and see what he says. It's hard to believe that a guy who helped some 14,000 hikers over the years would suddenly become hiker unfriendly, so I am skeptical of the statement.

TJ: know anything about this?

Pb

Oh well and here I was hoping Steve was a happier guy now. He seemed to me like the kind of guy who would grouse about whatever was eating at him, but who would do right by you - even go out of his way for you. Unless I hear more, I'll just assume someone heard him grousing.

I'm aiming to do Grafton to Norwich this summer, but if I was headed through Caratunk, I'd have no problem giving Steve a try - although I gotta say I liked Caratunk house.

Caratunk House rocked! I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. The area just south of Caratunk was one of my favorite parts of the entire AT. The ponds in that area are glorious!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Default Any updates?

Any updates for Caratunk, ME?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Motz
    Yes, the Carratunk House continues to be one of the best hostels on the trail or anywhere else.

I agree 100% with this statement by Blue Jay. I liked the place so much, I want to go back someday and stay there to go Whitewater rafting or something. The guys running it were the best, not to mention the homemade milkshakes and burgers that they make (breakfast was already mentioned, so I wont talk about that anymore!).

Images

Took a nearo day in Caraunk due to having a doctors appointment in Bingham, the next town over. Stayed at the Caratunk House B and B. I do like this place. Very cosy. Great Breakfast. Paul, who has hiked the AT and PCT is one of the nicest guys I met on the Trail. However his partner was unfriendly, to the point of rude. He turned away most of the other folks I arrived with who were not sure if they were staying or not. He became friendlier when i said i was staying the night, but still was not nice. I basically had to beg him to drive me the 18 miles to Bingham for my appointment even though I was offering to pay the appropriate shuttle cost. He kept telling me to hitch.
    Paul does make some great burgers, and he drove me and two SOBO's to AYCE taco night.
    I spent some time at Northern Outdoors, a rafting place. They have great burgers and beers and they were VERY hiker friendly. Let us use the hot tubs and showers and there are tons of games there to play. May be pricey to spend the night.
    Steve Longleys place is still there and I heard good things from people who stayed with him.
    Caratunk B and B does have enough good food to get you to Monson, just down the road. True this is not a true town, but it does have possibilities for relaxation before the end of your trip.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default Talk about day and night

Thanks A-Train for mentioning the "unfriendly partner" at Caratunk House. I was going to respond with a like comment, but since no one else mentioned it, I thought maybe I was too hard on him. Anybody know why he's got such a chip on his shoulder? I think he hates hikers.

Paul does really make up for it with his hospitality and cooking. As others have said, one of the best stops on the Trail,

Default c - house

i thought caratunk house was great. i cant remember which guy was which, but they were both OK with me. One of them gave me a haircut (though i think he charged me three bucks or so)

Images

yeah, i just don't get why anyone would run a hostel if they didn't like hikers or the AT community. Its not the type of business to make tons of money and retire early. Fortunately there are still enough folks who do it for the love of the Trail and its people.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    yeah, i just don't get why anyone would run a hostel if they didn't like hikers or the AT community. Its not the type of business to make tons of money and retire early. Fortunately there are still enough folks who do it for the love of the Trail and its people.
    It's not that he dosen't like hikers or the AT community. He just didn't like you. Are you sure that has never happened to you before?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    yeah, i just don't get why anyone would run a hostel if they didn't like hikers or the AT community.
    Perhaps a hiker a day or two ahead of you did something monumentally stupid, and then you happened on the scene. It happens. I really like hikers, but I don't know if I could put up with the 1-2% of the knuckleheads out there on a regular basis. A couple of things that I saw hikers do in hostels in 2000 still has me shaking my head (when I think about it).

My experience at the Caratunk B&B was exceptional. Jenson was very pleasant to me, as was Paul.

Default Caratunk House is CLOSED

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Motz
    Most importantly - The Caratunk House will be closed for the 2004 season.

And - new shorter window hours at the Post Office. M-F 7:30-11:30, Noon-3:45 and Sat 7:30-11:15. It's window hours, not lobby hours that a hiker needs to pay attention to. The post mistress advises if you want cash back on your debit card you should wait til the afternoon.

Steve Longley's Store is still open, lots of new Thruhikers items, closed Mondays. Tentsites only, no cabins anymore. He has a new job so he can't be there all the time anymore, but helpers like Lionheart keep the beer cold and the pizza hot.
    Lots of hikers have been going to the brewpubs up the road at the Rafting places lately. Watch yer wallet - they're tourist priced.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 03-01-2004 at 21:04. Reason: info update
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    It's not that he dosen't like hikers or the AT community. He just didn't like you. Are you sure that has never happened to you before?

These are ridiculous comments. He was rude right off the bat. He was doing work and seemed interupted that we wanted hiker services that were advertised.
    He refused to serve hot foods because he didnt feel like cooking and was incredibly rude to me and five other hikers who were considering staying. So no Blue Jay, I don't think it was a personal thing that he didn't like me. He was rude to all 6 hikers and was rude from the start.
    And MOWG, although I agree that another thru-hiker could have done something to tick him offf a couple days earlier, it is not OK for him to take it out on other hikers who had nothing to do with it. I know hes a person. I have tough days too. Point is he is running a business. He is responsible and expected to provide the same service to all hikers, unless they act out, which I did not.
    He also gave me a hard time when I wanted a shuttle. He kept suggesting I hitch the 18 miles to my doctors appointment. I figured a hostel such as that would gladly accept an opportunity to make some money, especially a long distance shuttle. I practically had to beg him to take me since I wasn't going to take chances with time hitching to a doctor appointment.
    I'm not the only one who was mistreated by him, so I'm assuming this is a problem of his. The fact that hes probably a nice guy isn't important. I don't think most hikers ask for much. All I usually request is getting the service I pay for and am promises and to have it without attitude or anger. His "mood" cost him and his very excellent partner lots of money as 5 other hikers headed up to Pleasant Pond for the night because they were so turned off.

I'm with A-Train. Me and Gypsy were there in 2000 and the dude was very standoffish, very anti-social. He hardly said a word to anybody.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++