WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    This thread is winding down. And bad behavior is winding up. Bring it back on topic, or I'll probably close it out. Most of this thread doesn't belong in this forum to begin with.
    Agreed. End it before we start another war! We are all lost................
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

ONE of numerous reasons... I was backpacking in the shining rock wilderness. it is a popular place so i wasn't expecting solitude. I came to an area between flower gap and shining rock when I came upon about 50 people in an area where small groups are required. i decided to go past shining rock to cold mountain and camp there. when i got to shining rock there were 10-15 boy scouts heaving quartz rocks off of shining rock and screaming... NO SUPERVISION. when i went to talk to their leaders. i was told boys will be boys... enough said!!!

Sometimes saying something isn't enough.If you really want to fix things you have to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    This thread is winding down. And bad behavior is winding up. Bring it back on topic, or I'll probably close it out. Most of this thread doesn't belong in this forum to begin with.
    Oh please do!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Just in time to kill this thread - BSA seems to back LGBT cause!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1228571.html

"Every journey start with a single step....

I realize there are no screeching sounds steering this thread back to topic.... I invoke "Rule of the Internet" #25.

Tinkertarian,I like it

Oops,Trinitarian....sorry

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Deleted by author
    Last edited by Skyline; 01-27-2012 at 02:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Wow, and thanks. A mod deleting a mod. richardcranium.
    you so clever!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    "richardcranium" Duh!!!!! Cuffs, I just got that..... that's awesome!!!!!!!
    My favorite is the procedure called the rectal craniotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    My favorite is the procedure called the rectal craniotomy.
    Paging Dr. Coldfinger..

Images

I don't know how or if I'm authorized but could we have a poll of Scouting alum[B & G], or other..............or maybe that might be taking this thread down a grayer blaze!

Default Donate to your local Girl Scouts

I am sure there are many men who benefitted greatly from BSA in their youth and are volunteering their time to groom future good men. BUT my husband's family had quite a different experience in scouting. Both of his brothers were molested by their scout master, along with nearly a dozen other young boys--some of whom were severely physically handicapped.
    Many years and miles away...we have daughters who are Girl Scouts because I had wonderful women volunter their time to groom me into the best woman I could be.
    Dear Karma, I have a list of people you missed.

A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.

That is terrible for your family. It is happening too much in our society in the last fourty years or so. The country needs to take a stand on this issue. My scout troop would have made a bonfire!

Quote Originally Posted by OBXWaMi:1245180
    I am sure there are many men who benefitted greatly from BSA in their youth and are volunteering their time to groom future good men. BUT my husband's family had quite a different experience in scouting. Both of his brothers were molested by their scout master, along with nearly a dozen other young boys--some of whom were severely physically handicapped.
    Many years and miles away...we have daughters who are Girl Scouts because I had wonderful women volunter their time to groom me into the best woman I could be.

Images

I don't know how or if I'm authorized but could we have a poll of Scouting alum[B & G], or other..............or maybe that might be taking this thread down a grayer blaze!
    I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but, since I have been called out ... here goes.

I have fond memories of being in the boy scouts. One of my favorite ASMs was always asking me strange questions that I did not understand and he would tell us things like the best way to keep warm on a cold night was to sleep naked with a buddy zipped up in the sleeping bag. It sounded like it would work, but, under the circumstances I would freeze to death before I got into a sleeping bag with a guy. YMMV. Funny thing is (you may have guessed it) this guy was arrested for molesting boys 30 years later.

To be a leader these days you have to pass a background check. I was called by the Bishop of my church last year to be a Pack Leader and I had to watch all the videos that emphasized don't be alone with the boys. Always have another adult with you. Pretty good advice for anyone these days. Anyways, to make a short story longer, I was banned from the organization after my background check turned up an incident from 1976. 1976! Even though it was expunged, it was still enough to keep me from being a leader.

So the gist of what I'm saying is ... the BSA has addressed the molestation issue and is doing their best to make it not happen. My BSA Troop 456 from Clearwater, FL was a great experience that I would not trade for anything. We went camping once a month and took a week long canoe trip every year. I still love our scoutmaster Bill Edson, God rest his soul.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Mrs. Coach Lou is a Girl scout leader, of a troop of 12/13 yr olds. They have started backpacking, but are looking forward to when they can form a venturing troop with our local BSA troop....................... they want to do more than cookies......... they do do more but , our BSA troop is very active in the community and they want to be part of it all.

Journal Entries

There are a lot of people who hate those who believe in any concept of right/wrong that is sticter than their own. They call those people intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXWaMi View Post
    That is why gays don't belong in a group like that.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Only two more pages and this thread will officially be longer than the 2012 thru hiker registry thread!! Keep up the good work!!!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mrs. Coach Lou is a Girl scout leader, of a troop of 12/13 yr olds. They have started backpacking, but are looking forward to when they can form a venturing troop with our local BSA troop....................... they want to do more than cookies......... they do do more but , our BSA troop is very active in the community and they want to be part of it all.
    I just how the Girl Scouts are actively seeking to celebrate their 100th anniversary by hiking the entire AT section by section via various troops until the entire trail is completed. ATC has them on their calendar of events. Kudos to them!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
++ New Posts ++