WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Default Why do so many here hate Boy Scouts?

There are many here that seem to hate the Boy Scouts. Why?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

bad scout leaders? kinda like the dog thing and bad owners. i personally have no problem with scouts

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Next month I will be doing a presentation/slide show on the AT to about 300 adult Scout leaders. This is the second of several scheduled. I expect to talk with over 1,000 Scouts and adults in the next few months. If you have some valid concerns I can pass them on.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Next month I will be doing a presentation/slide show on the AT to about 300 adult Scout leaders. This is the second of several scheduled. I expect to talk with over 1,000 Scouts and adults in the next few months. If you have some valid concerns I can pass them on.
    Wow this is great. Thanks. I've spoken to area leaders here as well, a few years ago though. It was a round table event. I really should do that again though...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    The #1 problem I encounter with BSA groups is group size. They too often show up at a shelter & take 1/2 the shelter. Some areas actually legislate group size, but whether there are stated limits or not, every group must use common sense in their planning.
    Be Prepared

Some people have problems with any group they aren't a member of. Personally, I like the concept behind scouting, so I have alot of patience for scouts, even when the concept isn't always well executed. Hitler Youth would be an extreme example. Child molesting and cover ups would be another. As Lone Wolf said, don't blame the scouts, at least not until they get a bit older, and even then on a case by case basis. As far as group size goes, I think smaller younger kids should naturally be in larger groups, but groups of older scouts can and should be broken up into smaller groups. This is for many good reasons. The best troops probably do this naturally. The ultimate goal should be to prepare these kids to be able to hike by themselves at some point, when they are ready. The focus should be more on becoming a natural and sustainable part of nature, and less on becoming part of a society that has become the antithesis of nature and sustainability, but we could all do better in that regard.

Mainly I'd say it's because the hike in large groups that take up most or all of the shelter/tent space, and then stay up late talking in their tents while others are trying to sleep. As Lone Wolf mentioned, it's bad/lax leaders that let this behavior happen.

That said, I like the boy scouts, and enjoy when I run across them on the trail. I've had countless good interactions with them.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

It all started with the Boy Scout manual advising people to dig a trench around their tent before it rains.....
    Last edited by Spokes; 01-20-2012 at 09:55.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ear plugs work.
    No issue here I just move on.

i agree with lone wolf... it isnt the scouts, it's their leaders. I have had many encounters with scouts on the trail over the years, and anytime there was a problem, it was a direct result of clueless, inexperienced leaders. Of course, I have run into some troops who had good leadership, that were well organized, aware of LNT, and were thoughtful in shelter campsites. However, IMO, these are in the minority.

Don
    Thanks for volunteering your personal time for scouting and promoting the AT.
    The BSA has a lot of troops that will be using the trail, I would ask that you focus part of your presentation on LNT and how BSA needs to be very vigilant in this. That seems to be where I see and hear most of the complaints about groups in the woods. I've been a Scout, Scout Master and now a BSA Ranger, Owner of www.tekoamountainoutdoors.com I was also a Ridge Runner for the AMC in the Sages Ravine area in CT so I know first hand that some groups can do better out there. Remember these scouters are ambassadors for BSA, potential section & thru hikers and stewards for the outdoors. YIS

I for one am glad to see that there is still an organization out there that for the most part stands on the values that it was founded on. So many organizations that were founded on certain values have been forced by our government to allow the acceptance and even teaching of certain beliefs that are totally outside of the scope of what they were founded on in the name of acceptance. If you feel so strongly that homosexuality should be allowed to openly take place around grade school children and that the mention of God should not be allowed, then I suggest that you start your own organization.

The problem with boy scouts is as stated many times above: the scout leaders. See the thing is there are a lot of idiots in the world and some of them will decide to be scout leaders even though they have no idea what they are doing. So what we end up with is the weekend car camper who leaves trash all over the place multiplied by however many scouts the "leader" has in his troop.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    The problem with boy scouts is as stated many times above: the scout leaders. See the thing is there are a lot of idiots in the world and some of them will decide to be scout leaders even though they have no idea what they are doing. So what we end up with is the weekend car camper who leaves trash all over the place multiplied by however many scouts the "leader" has in his troop.
    Bronk your statement is way off - I doubt you are a scout. Are you aware the leaders go to school and educational programs to teach them to be better leaders.... And your final thought is JAFO.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Today's scouts will be tomorrow's hikers/backpackers. As a former scout that is how I was introduced to hiking and camping. To many kids today never go outside or do anything in the wilderness. I have tried several times to get my nephew to go camping with me, he has never been, but if it doens't include a xbox and an internet connection he is not interested.

--louis

Quote Originally Posted by louisb View Post
    Today's scouts will be tomorrow's hikers/backpackers. As a former scout that is how I was introduced to hiking and camping. To many kids today never go outside or do anything in the wilderness. I have tried several times to get my nephew to go camping with me, he has never been, but if it doens't include a xbox and an internet connection he is not interested.

--louis
    Agreed I was only in for a couple of years, and that's how I found my appreciation for nature. The kids deserve these opportunities.

Some leaders are like having someone of the Religious Right and a LNT fanatic all rolled up in one. Ugly, ugly, ugly -- people I just love to hate. But I really don't understand why it turns into such a hot topic here.

I find the whole Eagle Scout thing a little over the top.
    But hey, a kid could do worse.

Images

I was with a group of older Scouts at Watauga Lake Shelter. At first they were all just sitting around, moaning and bellyaching. There were two who had not arrived yet, one of the younger/overweight boys and one of the heavier adults were having a very rough day and were last seen several miles back. One leader and a couple of the stronger boys backtracked to check on/help the two stragglers. The boys seemed REALLY reluctant to go back, but eventually agreed. I kinda thought to myself at first that they were a bunch of selfish/lazy cads. But in conversing with those remaining, found out they had just done their longest day ever, and all were pretty beat.

The "rescuers" arrived back after about an hour, carrying the stragglers packs and encouraging them on. No recriminations of any kind were expressed by anyone. Once all had a half-hour rest, camp chores were completed with minimal direction, and the mood improved. They made a nice fire, were very friendly. The Leaders camped behind the shelter, the boys to the front and side. Cooperation was very much in evidence. Some of the best entertainment was watching both the boys and leaders trying to hang their food bags on the bear pole without falling down the hill. The boys overall, did a better job, but we all got a good belly laugh.

As the evening wore on, the adults wandered off to bed, leaving instructions for the boys to be considerate of us and not to stay up too late. My hiking partner and I also hit our bags, but were still enjoying the boy's banter at the fire. Soon, one of the older boys informed the rest that it was time for bed, and to quiet down. All complied immediately, the fire was extiquished, gear stowed, and it was off to bed for all. A few more minutes of very quite talk and jokes, then total peace.

This ended up being a very impressive group. They operated as I hope is the goal of all Scouting, where the boys are guided, but take the ultimate responsibility in doing things right. It was also a very diverse group including Asian, Black, European, and Hispanic representatives in both the youth and leaders.

There are great Scouting groups out there, but I do agree, they are not consistent, and some of the National policies leave a LOT to be desired. Best to judge the groups individually.

Agreed. That should be the main focus in my opinion. Get them out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++