WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    saw a great usmc bumper sticker, "Its Gods job to judge them, its our job to bring them to him."
    Cold. VERY cold.

That's what THEY say about US. Chew on that a while.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Cold. VERY cold.

That's what THEY say about US. Chew on that a while.
    And once we get past all the theocratic, moral, and ethical "conversations" and self-righteousness, the ONLY realities the history books ever record are those based upon political will and ordinance. We certainly have an ordinance advantage. But which culture possesses greater will? THEY seem to be highly motivated.

A strong Scoutmaster determines the behavior of the troop - as well as the senior ranking/older scouts. Adults rotate in and out as their children enter and leave scouting. Just seeing an adult associated with a troop realize that they may know nothing about the outdoors. All of my peers that participated in scouting with their children were in this boat - as was my father. Strangely my friends that could hike, camp and climb had no interest in helping the effort. Probably didn't want to camp by screaming kids.

As a Scoutmaster you will be rewarded by the scouts' everlasting respect (not much but something). After seeing my unorganized wallet my Scoutmaster told me that I should always sort the bills with the largest toward the back of the wallet. When I get a wad of bills - I sort them - and think of him.

The military is interested in scouting. The Air Force would send officers to our summer camp to be counselors. Smooth PR move. They had cool cars, stories and uniforms. Made a good impression.

Although I did not see a requirement now - for some rank or merit badge we had to do a "silent swim". Had to enter the water, swim a distance then exit without making a sound. The instructor sat with his back to the pool and if he heard a noise would turn and we would have to repeat. After many years I can only think of one use for this skill. Guess it would be good to have done it a time or two if you really need to do it.

i am so thankful most of you people stay behind a keyboard..

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    And once we get past all the theocratic, moral, and ethical "conversations" and self-righteousness, the ONLY realities the history books ever record are those based upon political will and ordinance. We certainly have an ordinance advantage. But which culture possesses greater will? THEY seem to be highly motivated.
    "An eye for an eye only leaves the world blind".

"You know that peace can only be won when we blow 'em all to kingdom come."

"Turn the other cheek".

"Love your enemies".

Of course, retailation is the more "natural" response.

I just dislike people using "God" as an excuse for terminating others with different beliefs. There is no basis for it in the words of Jesus. Most Christian military folks quote

the "Old Testament" (Covenant)when they try to justify retaliation. Christian theology states that the "old covenant" of the flesh has been replaced by a "new covenant"

of the Spirit. But everyone has the right to an opinion.

I'll stick to the teachings of "the Prince of peace".
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-24-2012 at 20:05.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    im pretty sure they dont join the boy scouts to look for partners.i think it has to do with a special handshake.
    that was ignorant reply HB - you are poking a finger and that won't work. Can you find a better way to get your positive idea across....

I say that because your posts are geting the short attention span theater and folks are mis-reading the post and your attitude.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-24-2012 at 20:18.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

GOD Bless America and GOD Bless the Boy Scouts of America.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Does anyone have any photos of ANY youth organizations doing service projects on the AT or any other hiking trails, long distance or short!?
    why do you ask Lou?
    I googled "Appalachian Trail" scout service and got 505,000 hits. I'm sure you could find some pictures in that search.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

Folks last night I know for a fact that this thread was shut down so a Mod could clear this up from an inflammatory thread to something less than upsetting thread.

That being said I will ask you as a group to understand that you are talking about a group that supports White blaze, financially to a small degree, I am not a mod - but the fabric of the group here are from all walks of life. If you believe the drive by news on TV that there are no gays in the boy scouts you are stupid. There are - and they are good people. We are all talking about something close to are hearts and its about children. The organization has done as much as they can to reduce risk from pedophiles as much as they can. A pedophile is not always a gay person, if that were the case then the Archdiocese should be locked up... ( Now how dumb would that be) but it makes my point.... Priest are ultimate kind people and these kids deserve better. We are all talking about our future here - would you deny a solid education in the woods and hiking to these faces?

FXCD0090a-1.jpg Stop telling me that the adults that lead these kids are stupid - they have taken courses - they have bent over backwards - put years of work for a good cause. They stood up for kids whey your fiends and neighbors got a damn divorce and left their son hanging when they didn't have a pair between their legs to STICK it out and make a marriage work! - Yea A holes. You call yourself men. Some of you are pansies. GROW UP.

Now you get the picture... There are 5 scouts that dont have a father in that picture... Yea missing dads... think about that the next football game you go to....How many of those boys grew up without a dad?

I am Woo and I damn approve this message I AM A EAGLE SCOUT. And I have been married 27 years. STOP SNIVELING.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Wonder if there's any thru-hiker Scoutmasters out there?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

For starters, I can't believe that this tread is still dribbling along - it's a lot like the thread some while ago about people spreading religious opinions (that is putting it nicely) in the shelters and whether it was appropriate - there were people with their feet dug in on both sides - I don't know that it ever ended so, I'm just listing the two sides of this coin here are the sides as I see them - critique as you will. Also, if I said anything along the way that was hurtful to anyone in these last 20 something pages, I didn't mean to be as such. I have enjoyed this discourse and have learned a thing or three.

SIDE #1

The Scout supporters here really don't approve of homosexuals or non-religious people or (probably) total equality between the sexes and feel passionately that something they love (like, respect, whatever) is being whittled away (or at least challenged) - something they think of as the "American way" - they refuse to see anything at all wrong with their opinion and on the trail, the attitudes and practices that the scouts project is (more or less) fine with them - some on this side do concede some behavioral modification and better education of scout groups on the trail. They also contend that the scouts do more good (for kids) than harm - they like the BSA policies and think they should remain - or perhaps they don't agree with them but like the scouts enough to just shut up and take it.

Side #2

On the other side, there is a crowd of more or less (can I say open-minded?) hikers who are probably pretty darn selfish who want others on the trail to behave as they do and practice forest ethics the same way that they do - typically in a clean, quiet and non-impactful way. Big scouting groups just irk their sensibilities so they gripe. This side does not have a problem with homosexuals and while they might be reverent and ethical members of society they are often more secular than religious the great unknown is ok with them. Therefore, as free thinkers they feel like the BSA policies are unfair and oppressive in a free society. This group is interested in civil rights and an equal playing field for all people regardless of sexual orientation, religious ideas etc. - they feel that allowing a group like this to perpetuate as recognized and sanctioned by the government (fair?) is a large societal problem. They feel that the policies and the manipulative culture of the scouts does more harm than good and are suspicious of their jingoistic and right-leaning demeanor . This side is also not blameless in sometimes being hateful and making hurtful comments and has a hard time effecting the change that they want.

that's awfully objective for me
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-24-2012 at 21:26.

Journal Entries
    Images

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    looks like a super nice group of kids WOO - I'd hate to have them descend on my camp though - would split them into at least 3 - groups

Journal Entries
    Images

Nope that the most reliable for that age made from three groups... They asked to be there... and they did a 30 in an overnighter .... That guy on the right with the bars in yellow ...

That is Mr. D he has put in over 19+ years as scoutmaster. leading to babysitting and been there when other men haven't. He has my appreciation and my utmost respect bacuse he sets out to do what most cannot.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Nope that the most reliable for that age made from three groups... They asked to be there... and they did a 30 in an overnighter .... That guy on the right with the bars in yellow ...

That is Mr. D he has put in over 19+ years as scoutmaster. leading to babysitting and been there when other men haven't. He has my appreciation and my utmost respect bacuse he sets out to do what most cannot.
    nice - I've hiked 100s of miles with kids on the AT and other trails from my summer camp programs that I ran for 11 years - here is a photo of me and some kids - the person on my left is Stretch - I found him as a 13 year old - he did a SOBO thru-hike in '08 at age 18 - you can only tell I'm the older one because I tuck my shirt in, right? FYI - we did 26 miles the day this was taken into Damascus (last summer) - Stretch is 21 now and a student at Alaska Pacific University.

310549_579218030850_58900235_31954574_1142937384_n.jpg
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-24-2012 at 22:29.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    why do you ask Lou?
    I googled "Appalachian Trail" scout service and got 505,000 hits. I'm sure you could find some pictures in that search.
    I ask for more support than this core 5/6 old scouts, Pics are worth 1000 words. The folks that don't have first hand knowlege of the good in scouts need to see it. Now I see that WOO is back from work and is so much more eloquent than I........ and he brought the pictures!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I ask for more support than this core 5/6 old scouts, Pics are worth 1000 words. The folks that don't have first hand knowlege of the good in scouts need to see it. Now I see that WOO is back from work and is so much more eloquent than I........ and he brought the pictures!!!
    Respectfully, there is "good" in taking kids out backpacking and on adventures - ALL KIDS- girls, guys, ALL kids - even those who don't conform - I've worked with hundreds of kids and couldn't agree more. Some people have a problem with the national BSA's discriminatory policies - no one has a problem with doing things for kids - an important distinction in this discussion

Journal Entries
    Images

With that personal note ... can we as a group respectfully give this as a rest to all the kids in America?

Here is Austin my son receiving the Eagle Award...From Mr D. What does a handshake mean to you?

Woo

Images

That would be the troop Quartermaster?!

Journal Entries
    Images

Uhh Scoutmaster. Ohh you mean Austin - Yes he made that and Order of Arrow

I was SPL.

Woo

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++