WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Wife wants to see the pony's.....

I showed the wife some of the videos that invlove hikers interacting with the ponies, now she wants to go there!!!! And of course I said OK..!!!! Can anyone provide me with information or ideas for about a 2.5 day trek in the area of the wild ponies. I think that is in the Grayson Highlands area of Virginia.... Is that right?? Just looking for something kind of easy between 8-12 miles a day, wife is a great day hiker, but not into the long trips, she really enjoys taking our time and enjoying all of the time outdoors. Looking at end of March thru first of April for time period. Thanks in advance...

Images

Yes, they are near / in Grayson highlands. Actually Mt Rogers NRA, which Grayson is a part of. For "easy" access to the area; go to Grayson highlands state park & park at Massy Gap trailhead. Remember the ponies are for the most part wild, so you may or may not see them. Asking where the ponies are will get a general wave of the hand in roughly all directions as they have hundreds of acres to roam.
    BTW, its against the rules to feed or pet them. Most do, but if you get bit, as many have, its on YOU!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

How about camping in the state park itself, then day hiking around the place. I walked through on the AT on a foggy day and didn't see a single pony, but it looks like you can camp inside the park and there are plenty of trails. Even go out and back to one of the AT shelters, or a long out and back to Mt. Rogers, although I understand there is no view.

Sounds like a fun trip.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

There's a nice loop hike in there that's about 14 miles long. You park at Massie Gap like others suggested, hike up and take a right onto the AT, and follow the AT around to where it almost loops back on itself a little past Wise Shelter. Then you take the Pine Mountain Trail back to the other part of the AT, and follow that around to where you'll eventually end up back at Massie Gap. You could also do this in reverse of course. I've been up there about a dozen times, and I think I've seen the horses almost every time. Multiple times they've come into camp and became somewhat annoying (they're looking for food...and I don't feed them).

I wana ride the pony!

Images

Thanks for all the ideas, I will get it planned up....

Of course there's also the search mode to find all the answers to your questions and more.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

++ New Posts ++