WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What do you think about the Black Diamond Carbon Ultra Distance Z-Poles?

What do you guys think about the Black Diamond Carbon Ultra Distance Z-Poles? Do you think they'll be durable enough for a thru-hike? I am still tying to decide what is best for my trip this year. I was also looking at the Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork as an aluminum alternative (albeit nearly twice the weight). Also, what is your opinion on non-adjustable trekking poles? Carbon vs. aluminum, adjustable vs. non-adjustable? I'd love to hear your comments. Thanks guys.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Nope. I met a few who started using carbon poles, they all ended up with aluminum poles.
    Adjustable, yep.
    Shocks, maybe if you like 'em.
    You will wear out or break at least one set of poles on a thru.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I love my carbon cork handle black diamond flick locking poles. I dont have experience with the z-lite but it looks a little less sturdy, how long does that cord last? BD doesnt repair and replace like leki so its a large investment if they dont work out. Plus I use a different height going uphill vs downhill. I switched to carbon after going on a 2 week hike with the AL version of the black diamonds and I noticed a lot of flexing when the poles were supporting my weight on the downhills. I mentioned this to another hiker and he said thats why he uses carbon. This probably isnt an issue for lighter hikers but I weight 195 lbs and with a 30 lbs fully loaded im a beast out there at 225 lbs . Since the switch they have been awesome and lighter. I also like the black diamond locking system, if you ever had a twist lock untwist then you know why.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I used Black Diamonds aluminum poles with the flip locks, never had a problem during my thru except I wore out the tips and fell and broke one. Bent it at a 90 degree angle and it broke when I tried to straighten it. Other times when I bent them I was able to carefully straighten them. When a carbon pole bends too far it shatters. Every one wore out their tips and had to change them out at least once or buy new poles. Seems they made it about half way on a thru. Leiki tips will fit on Black Diamonds, Black Diamond does not sell parts to its vendors.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I use the Z-Poles - they are absolutely GREAT! I've hiked about 200 miles with them so far - no complaints once you figure out the little fold em up system - put em on your pack for a while, walk with them, whatever -highly recommended

Images

Black Diamond - yep!
    Carbon - nope! They break way too easy. As Don H said, go with aluminum. The couple of ounces of extra weight is negligible and the sturdiness of aluminum over carbon is huge!
    Flic-lock - by all means. So much better than twist locks in every way.
    Shocks - nope! They get noisy after while and are a weak link that will break.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-.../dp/B0019I76GI

Can't go wrong with these . . . and save a bunch of money over the ones you're asking about.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

What Summit said. You'll probably fall and break 'em so you might as well save some money.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to learn how to change the tips and have a spare set at home that someone can send you. If the tips get too worn (past the rubber and into the aluminum) then you ruin the poles. Once the carbide tip is gone it won't be long before you ruin the pole.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

bought mine on steap and cheap for 44.00, just got them.... they are still running them on steap and cheap.
    eveready

You really only adjust them once then control the pole "length" by modifying the angle and tip placement when you plant the pole during your stride on ascents and descents. It's not rocket science.

I have the Z locks and was going to bring them on the AT. BD reps actually told me not to. The reason I was talking to them is I broke them on my first hike out with about 20lb pack. They are meant for basically no pack light hiking and light terrain. They are not meant to hold up to the abuse of the AT. The rep told me flat out they are not made for it and got me into some nice heavier poles that will hold up. Carbon is not necessarily bad, but these are UL and fragile. The thicker ones are alright, but I am going to use AL so if i bend them i can just bend them back, no big deal.

Eric
    ------------------------------------
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    ~Robert Frost

I am loving my GG LT4 (carbon fiber) poles...granted though I have only used them once now on a 30+ mile trip. I have had the Wal-mart Outdoor Products Flick Lock poles and for $12/ea you simply cannot beat them. After 2 pair I picked up some of the Leki Corklite Aergon poles. They are basically a better version of the Outdoor Products poles, of course with a higher price tag ($120), but also a nice warranty to go with them.

However, I have wanted to pick up some of these GG poles for a long while. I finally got the chance to do so recently. When I first got them I was skeptical. The first time out with them I was a little hesitant, but a few hours later I was trekking up the mountain just like I was when using the other (heavier) aluminum poles. They worked out beautifully. Locking mechanism held solid and they stood up to my normal use (so far).

P1020491.JPGP1020415.JPGP1020456.JPG

I don't have as much use as others may (or may not) have with them (carbon fiber poles), but at the moment I would not hesitate to take them right out the door with me today on a thru of any of the long trails. (I know, I am probably the sole camper in my little camp with this statement, but oh well...it's how I feel. Although, I have read journals, blogs and on forums in which people successfully hike long trails with cabon poles...) At this point, I see no reason to doubt them or their performance. However, if they were to fail in one way or another (as any pole has the potential to do), GG has excellent customer service and I have no doubt that they would get it taken care of for me one way or another. And even if that were an issue, I still have the Leki's at home, or the Outdoor Product poles are sold at pretty much any Wally-World.

Saying that, I was not a fan of the idea of the Z Poles. Simply because I like poles that will adjust more than these. I use my trekking poles for 3 different shelters so I need a range of adjustability. However, I do like that they can pack up so small...but, if you are getting them simply because they pack small, what's the point really? (Are you getting them to pack them or to use them?)
    Last edited by STICK; 01-24-2012 at 23:01.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Whether or not Z-poles or any carbon fiber poles will work for you on a long hike depends on the person and how they hike and use their poles. Unlike some other posters, I've been using trekking poles since '97 and have never broken one or bent one. In fact I still have my 2 previous sets of trekking poles that I only replaced to save weight.

If a pole gets jammed between rocks and resists motion, I allow the pole to slip out of my hand. I never think about it, it just comes natually to me. My current poles are adjustable carbon fiber at 3.4oz wt/each made by Titanium Goat that I bought in 2008 (Gossemer Gear makes a similar adjustable pole with different handles). I have about 3000miles on them including a thru-hike. And yet others have broken theirs. So it really depends on the person.

FYI - Replacing tips is totally worth it. Mine wore out by Hanover. I got a new set of Leki tips for $13 in town. You don't realize how dull the tips are until you get a new pair. Perfect timing for the Whites.

Journal Entries

Not to change the subject as I too was looking at the Black Diamond carbon poles but I heard the same thing with regard to the tent poles that 'MSR' supposedly upgraded to with the Hubba Tent - they break too easily!
    Best stay with the aluminum on such a long hike - Leki can't be beat for the warranty...

Images

Depending on the retailer, if the pole(s) break within a year, you can take them back for replacement. I bought a pair of BD carbon poles, not sure of the model, they cost about $115 at REI, incl. tax. Anyhow, one of mine broke in a strectch of rocky terrain within a year of purchase, I took it into REI and presented my member card, they looked me up and replaced the poles at once.

As for experience with them, I like them a lot, but have done nothing on the order of a thru-hike, so I leave that to others to comment on.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Whether or not Z-poles or any carbon fiber poles will work for you on a long hike depends on the person and how they hike and use their poles. Unlike some other posters, I've been using trekking poles since '97 and have never broken one or bent one. In fact I still have my 2 previous sets of trekking poles that I only replaced to save weight.

If a pole gets jammed between rocks and resists motion, I allow the pole to slip out of my hand. I never think about it, it just comes natually to me. My current poles are adjustable carbon fiber at 3.4oz wt/each made by Titanium Goat that I bought in 2008 (Gossemer Gear makes a similar adjustable pole with different handles). I have about 3000miles on them including a thru-hike. And yet others have broken theirs. So it really depends on the person.
    Very well said. IMO, the best reply in the thread.

And I do the same thing while hiking with my poles when it comes to them sticking and letting them slide out of my hand. I did that with my heavier aluminum Leki's, and now with the much lighter carbon fiber LT4 poles.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Have bought 2 pairs of the Carbon BD z-poles for my hike. They will also work as my tarp poles so I really don't want to break/bend them. I have 5 pairs of the Lekis & like them for my White Mtn. hiking. I have bent the Lekis from time to time but usally can straighten them out again. I find the terrain on the Southern AT to be easy enough that I am going to try the BD this year.

As a cross-country skier and former gear-freak in that sport I can honestly say that aluminum poles are usually a bit heavier and stronger than carbon poles. Carbon poles, if they get too deep a scratch, are prone to failure at the scratch site. I'm a bicycle mechanic, too, and have seen carbon bicycle frames fail at the site of deep gouges.

Everything has pros and cons.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++