WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

I'm just glad that few people take thier dogs out on the trails here in Maine and NH and all the thru hikers with dogs never make it this far.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Other peoples' dogs can make a good emergency food source.

My dog died. Had her for fourteen years, longer than two marriages combined. Last wife said I loved the dog more than her. I said she'd been with me longer. I want another lab, but can't be around chocolates without crying. Maybe a yellow this time

That said, there are two types of dogs that bother me on the trail. The one that bites me, and the smelly wet one that shakes off on my gear in a shelter. First has never happened, second is too common. Wet dog smell on a down bag goes a long way towards animosity

For the record, I do not want another wife

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    For the record, I do not want another wife
    It took two women to make you a wise man.

Images

I think the #1 reason people bring their dog is that they can't find anyone to keep the dog for five months and don't want to pay to board the dog so they are stuck with it. I would never want the extra work of a dog on the trail but I think the dog people are just doing what they have to do. The behavior varies as everyone has discussed.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    AT Hanna started this thread and quit a few days later.
    I don't know Hanna and,-- unlike too many dog owners,-- will not pronounce without limit what has gone on in someone else' head and heart.

Having said that, I think on occasion folks ask a hot issue question, knowing they are wrong or being pejorative and only wanting positive reinforcement/reinforcers to tell them they are right, no matter. Then cherry-pick those answers, ignore the rest, the duck out feeling satisfied. Some others are simply trolls, intentionally or not. Again, I don't know Hanna and don't presume to know her specific intentions.

But posting a hot-issue query and then quitting MIGHT reflect a lack of sincerity (or immaturity) to begin with.

As it is, she got (or would have gotten) some valid discussion on various sides of the issues she raised, and the discussion has been pretty civil.

Kudos to WB.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote redacted for brevity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I don't know Hanna.... Having said that....

Again, I don't know Hanna.... But....
    Are you familiar with the term passive-aggressive?

I'm pretty sure Hanna got a fairly complete answer early on in this thread and decided to call it a day.

I'm afraid of the people that carry machettes, guns, and aggressive uncontrolled dogs.

My wife & I were hiking this weekend. We were passed by another couple with a leashed dog. Immediately after passing, the dog leaped back and tried to bite my wife...barely grazing her leg. Fortunately it wasn't worse. The response, "oh, he's never done that before".

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    Actually it's 40% of the trail requires a leash.
    40% of the trail requiring a leash, means that 60% of the trail doesn't.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Slightly less, actually. As some places outright ban dogs (see the ATC link). And it is more than 40%+ require leashes.

What does this mean?

A little less than half the trail has some some sort of restriction for dogs be it leashes or outright bans (bans are ~4% of the trail total doing some quick math).

The AT, and most eastern trails in general, are a good environment for dogs to hike in vs the western counterparts.

Just have to keep some logistic issues in mind.
    Last edited by Mags; 04-08-2014 at 11:38.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I'm afraid of the people that carry machettes, guns, and aggressive uncontrolled dogs.
    sums it up for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    But dont forget that over 60per cent of the trail is no leash requirement do they can legally run free.
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    But, when you say over 60% of the trail has no requirements. That to me would mean that less than 40% requires a leash. Not hard math there.
    AT15
    OT15

But, when you say over 60% of the trail has no requirements. That to me would mean that less than 40% requires a leash. Not hard math there.
    Yep you nailed it. Not hard at all

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Er..no

According to the ATC, 40% PLUS requires a leash. another rough 4% bans dogs outright. Let's be conservative and say ~45% of the trail has dog restrictions.

Simply math tells me that about only about 55% has no dog restrictions (leash or bans)...

Simple math. ;D

Being serious, something that needs to be paid attention to. Many dogs aren't comfortable on being leash 40%+ of the time. And kenneling a dog for the Smokies and BSP is a logistic issue that should be noted.
    Last edited by Mags; 04-08-2014 at 18:07.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Er..no

According to the ATC, 40% PLUS requires a leash. another rough 4% bans dogs outright. Let's be conservative and say ~45% of the trail has dog restrictions.

Simply math tells me that about only about 55% has no dog restrictions (leash or bans)...

Simple math. ;D

Being serious, something that needs to be paid attention to. Many dogs aren't comfortable on being leash 40%+ of the time. And kenneling a dog for the Smokies and BSP is a logistic issue that should be noted.
    Lurd have mercy let nit pick shall we

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

You people are using math on WB, i'm not comfortable with this.

And Mags, don't you have a presentation to prepare for?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Mags !!!

Boo Hoo !!! some dogs are uncomfortable being leashed. I'm uncomfortable being attacked. Being a responsible dog owner/ parent means training your dog. I had a wonderful dog for 18 yrs. after she once snapped at a kid or another dog I never trusted her again. you never know how a dog will act in a new situation., Leash your dog and it will eventually learn the leash is normal.
    I find it hard to believe there are people that think their dog has a right to attack people.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I find it hard to believe there are people that think their dog has a right to attack people.
    I don't think it is an issue of people thinking their dog has a right to attack people... but people who simply don't think of or care about others.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++