WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Mags !!!

Boo Hoo !!! some dogs are uncomfortable being leashed. I'm uncomfortable being attacked. Being a responsible dog owner/ parent means training your dog. I had a wonderful dog for 18 yrs. after she once snapped at a kid or another dog I never trusted her again. you never know how a dog will act in a new situation., Leash your dog and it will eventually learn the leash is normal.

You may want to reread what I wrote about more carefully.

I must be doing something correct if both pro-dog and anti-dog people aren't too keen on what I am writing.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Lurd have mercy let nit pick shall we
    er..no again. If people above are getting nitpicky, as in the above posts, to "prove" a point while being snarky, and be wrong about it, I am going to use these things called "facts".

45%+ of the trail (approx) has dog restrictions. Not the numbers people are throwing around to prove their snark. Nearly 5 out of 10 miles.

Again, just something to keep in mind when you take Fido on the trail with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

And Mags, don't you have a presentation to prepare for?
    I did! I even got to use the terms "cyberhikers" and "pack sniffers" when an audience member asked about the controversies found online. Seriously.
    Last edited by Mags; 04-09-2014 at 08:19.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

I did! I even got to use the terms "cyberhikers" and "pack sniffers" when an audience member asked about the controversies found online. Seriously.
    Excellent! Did you tell them that most problems you read about in the internet don't really exist on the trail?

Wish I could have been there. Over the last year I have grown very jealous of you folks in the Boulder/Golden area.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Excellent! Did you tell them that most problems you read about in the internet don't really exist on the trail?

Wish I could have been there. Over the last year I have grown very jealous of you folks in the Boulder/Golden area.
    I recall mentioning how someone just may want to move here after visiting. Think it involved some beer, too
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I recall mentioning how someone just may want to move here after visiting. Think it involved some beer, too
    I could never move to a place with so many leash laws . Besides, doesn't Boulder want to create a dog poop DNA database? My mutt values her privacy too much to be subjected to that.

In all seriousness, while I don't have any plans to move in the next couple of years, I will admit that the idea of moving to the Boulder/Golden area has been in the back if my mind ever since we were out there visiting. It really did amaze me how many people in Golden told us something along the lines if "You don't know it yet, but we can tell that you're eventually going to move here."

Just as a reply to the original post, I just hiked 110 miles from springer mountain to winding stair gap. Initially I got on the trail, worried that there would be some animosity towards my pup Charlie, although he is an acomplished backpacker in his own right. First night in all my fears were put aside. In my 11 days of hiking only once did I run into an issues, and the issue was Charlie went to say hi to someone when he was sleeping in the shelter. He was not happy. He apologized though, and just said he would prefer not to be woken up by him.

Charlie was welcome, and loved, by pretty much every hiker. A successful thru hiker from last season actually told me why - bears never come around when dogs are around. While on the trail I learned why - Dog's are used to hunt bears! Even though Charlie would bark whenever he heard something at night, everyone I asked and apologized to said they were happy to hear Charlie barking, because than they knew he would keep the animals at bay!
    Novice in All Things blog writer
    http://noviceallthings.blogspot.com

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

I have seen dog packs, domestic dogs with collars chasing deer several times in Virginia. Deer was way in front but who knows how it ended?

Images

I like dogs but not in shelters and not in my water supply otherwise if they are well behaved no problem

"bears never come around when dogs are around. While on the trail I learned why - Dog's are used to hunt bears!"

Just another reason dogs don't belong on the Trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by charliethruhike View Post
    Just as a reply to the original post, I just hiked 110 miles from springer mountain to winding stair gap. Initially I got on the trail, worried that there would be some animosity towards my pup Charlie, although he is an acomplished backpacker in his own right. First night in all my fears were put aside. In my 11 days of hiking only once did I run into an issues, and the issue was Charlie went to say hi to someone when he was sleeping in the shelter. He was not happy. He apologized though, and just said he would prefer not to be woken up by him.

Charlie was welcome, and loved, by pretty much every hiker. A successful thru hiker from last season actually told me why - bears never come around when dogs are around. While on the trail I learned why - Dog's are used to hunt bears! Even though Charlie would bark whenever he heard something at night, everyone I asked and apologized to said they were happy to hear Charlie barking, because than they knew he would keep the animals at bay!
    Let me get this straight. You have only hiked 1/20 th of the AT with your dog and he already has disturbed a sleeping hiker in a shelter and has woken hikers up several times by barking at night. You don't see this as a problem?
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Bears don't come around or any other wild life. It's like silent spring with dogs around. I don't believe people are happy that your dog barks. They may say that to be friendly because they know they are stuck with the dog barking whether they like it or not. The dog intrusion is just tough darts and they know it.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Winter and I had no problem with folks hiking the trail in 2000. Even folks that weren't dog people liked Winter.

What an interesting thread. Can't say I agree with everything, and some of the comments as pretty far out there. I've hiked with my old German Shorthair and have had bears come by the shelter with her in it. I've also come across tons of wildlife on the trail, and I had a dog with me then too. Just remember if you're reading and wondering about having a dog on the trail. Having a dog on the trail is nothing like how this forum makes it sound!
    AT15
    OT15

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Sorry to see this discussion get contentious, but I feel compelled to state one thing plainly: Dogs that have been poorly trained; dogs that are skittish around strangers; dogs that snarl or bark at people; dogs that are liable to chase wildlife; dogs that do not immediately respond to their owners' voice commands.......well, these dogs need to be on leashes, period, and there is nothing remotely "inconsiderate" about saying so. On the contrary, the inconsideration here comes from the owners, and their numbers are legion, who simply ignore the problems their unleashed dog is creating, or worse, they the problem and then they do nothing about it.
    Thank you, Jack. I have been rudely accosted by dogs who are probably lovable under different conditions, but, when allowed to run loose (especially with other dogs), run excitedly with no apparent feeling of need to be well-behaved. When I told the owner in one case to control his dogs, he blamed me for the problem because I had crossed my poles in front of me as a self-defensive action. I did it because they were running directly at me barking loudly. How dense can a person with dogs be?
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    How dense can a person with dogs be?
    Extremely. Some post declaring they know with absolutely accuracy and certainty what goes on in the heads and hearts and psyches of masses of strangers, both within and without their personal presence, and without limit as to time. And,-- of course,-- their unconditional declarations happen to be 110% agreeable and supportive of what they want the answer to be. I call it their "God complex."

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

LOL, this thread has one foot in stupid and the other in fantasy land.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Winter and I had no problem with folks hiking the trail in 2000. Even folks that weren't dog people liked Winter.
    Does the phrase "confirmation bias" mean anything to you?
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    Does the phrase "confirmation bias" mean anything to you?
    Are you implying that people on the internet make a big deal out of things that are rarely a problem in real life?

Are you implying that people on the internet make a big deal out of things that are rarely a problem in real life?

Yes, most of the stuff on here is much ado about nothing. Most of these folks should go take a hike. A wise man once said "it's just walking."

Journal Entries
    Images

Personally, I really don't want to be woken up by a barking dog when i'm camping/hiking. To me the owner is being pretty discourteous. OK, that is how I feel. If it happened to me I'd probably not be to confrontive if any, just want to get away. Also, this thread is going to outlive the average age of a dog (in doggie years)!! Ha, ha!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

As a hiker, dog owner, and former caretaker, I can say that dogs really don't belong out there. They're domestic animals. Call of the Wild was just a book. Domestic dogs (with probably a few rare exceptions) don't do well out there, as much as they love running around and getting dirty, they're generations away from the original material. I've seen people with hungry dogs, angry dogs, shivering dogs and barking dogs. They get over-tired and over-stressed, and have trouble coping. Do them a favor and leave them at home.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++