WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Some of us like to see wildlife. On the trail the presence of dogs means the critters all stay clear. I WANT to see bear and moose, etc. A sniff of dog means no animals. Under control? Really. No barking at every single hiker that comes into the shelter? Day or night ? Even if you are tented 30 yards away? I have had dogs all my life. I've met a few nice ones on the trail but the majority have been a pain. Owners are always saying "he never did THAT before."
    yeah - I have to agree with this - I do know a few exceptions (dogs) but I think 90-95% of hikers with dogs have a dog with them because it makes them feel less lonely or more secure - it's not (usually) really for the dog's benefit. If you raise your dog hiking - like every week as a puppy and that dog is exceptionally well trained and obviously loves to hike, I would say that it's ok - - but in the majority of the cases, it's better for you and the dog if he / she stays home.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    yeah - I have to agree with this - I do know a few exceptions (dogs) but I think 90-95% of hikers with dogs have a dog with them because it makes them feel less lonely or more secure - it's not (usually) really for the dog's benefit. If you raise your dog hiking - like every week as a puppy and that dog is exceptionally well trained and obviously loves to hike, I would say that it's ok - - but in the majority of the cases, it's better for you and the dog if he / she stays home.
    I agree with this. The only problem is you're preaching to the choir and all this preaching will do little to change anyone, experienced or not, in taking their pet on a busy trail.

Images

I do go overboard when it comes to my dog and not offending others. I have had bad experiences on the trail with other people's dog. Peeing on my tent, eating my food, etc. I have never had an incident with my dog and someone else until I was hiking the other day. It was very cold and very icy, no cars in the parking lot, I thought I would let my dog run some instead of just staying behind me. 99% of the time when he sees soemone he comes back to me, this time he growled at them and the lady had her head down and she thought it was a bear growling and took off running back to her boyfriend who was laughing. I felt so bad. I would hate to ruin somebodies hike because of my dog.

Images

Tucker,
    I can't respond to your last message because you "have exceeded your pvm quota". Delete some stuff so I can respond. I sent you an email but it probably went to your spam folder.
    Barbarella
    There are two grades to a mountain, either you can do it or you can't.

Images

Oh, screw people who don't like dogs. As long as yours is well-behaved and you can control it, it's their problem if they get annoyed by the presence of a dog. Obnoxious dogs need to be trained better. Dogs behaving badly is usually because of their owners, just like children. Dogs are pack animals and they need a strong leader. A dog is a reflection of it's alpha.
    There are two grades to a mountain, either you can do it or you can't.

Images

Ill say it again. its really much more of an issue here on WB than it is on the trail.pro-dog or anti-dog, bring a tent.and scooby snacks

Images

you could probably replace the word DOG with WHITEBLAZER and the thread would still
    hold true.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    you could probably replace the word DOG with WHITEBLAZER and the thread would still
    hold true.
    Perfect!!!!
    remind me to make sure my trail name isnt my user name.

Images

I think the main reason is that it is possible to tolerate a dumba** hiker but it is very hard to tolerate a dumba** hiker with a dumba** dog. Not that you are or even that they are the majority, but it only takes a few until many people are just tired of dealing with other peoples pooches. I've seen some dogs that were content to be tied up to a tree and just went to sleep, and others that were in and out of the shelter, sniffing everybodys food, and generally causing a nuisance. Guess which ones get remembered more?

Images

hey to me this issue is no different than cell phones. i really wouldnt want to hear a half dozen"private "conversations with spouses, girlfreinds, etc. in the shelter either.some people are too self centered to see how self centered they are, with no consideration of others.
    the only difference is how do you handle when you've got a crowded shelter and up comes hiker w/wet dog, no tent or tarp, just as you're finally nodding off.both sides need to show a little tolerance, and as a lot have said here already, all the more reason to bring your own shelter. just be considerate of others.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I never heard anyone complain about a dog in 4 months and 850 miles of hiking on the AT. All the dog haters are right here on this forum sitting behind their computers...they don't hike the AT all that much. Most of the complaints surround shelters...for some reason when someone hasn't taken a shower for a week and everything they own is dirty and smells like mildew and BO it offends them when a dog comes into the dirty wooden box they plan on sleeping in. Just be courteous and let everyone know that there are no rules about having dogs in the shelter and if they don't like it they can set up their tent. Your dog has just as much right to stay there as people do. The ones that complain about it probably smell worse than your dog does, and they will snore, stay up talking loudly until midnight and then wake up at 430am and cook their breakfast inside the shelter while they stomp around getting their gear together...so you may not actually want to stay in a shelter anyway.
    Yup thats a blog - its a subconsious outlet... no reverence or manners about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    How about muzzles? Wish more people were required to wear them! I was out on a day hike last fall with 2 friends, I was in the lead and rounding a bend, out of nowhere here comes a big black labradoddle, off leash, barking like ****. It's owner came around the bend yelling at the dog - it was my dogs Vet! The only woman in the group is terrified of dogs as she has been very seriously bitten twice. The dog pulled up short by 10-15 ft., but it scared the hell out of all of us. Words were exchanged.
    I am no dog wisperer - but I will try to provide how to break any dog of that habit.. it is incredibly easy.... 2 months.... You did notice we would have to put a muzzle on some fingers in front of the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    The real question is manners, the trail was built for humans, the shelters were built for humans, Humans have the 2nd right to use the trail, only wildlife has the first right , not your unleashed Dog. It does not matter who likes dogs,cats,birds or horses What matters is taking away someone' experience of pleasure on the trail, Being approached by an unleashed dog does and should cause tension in a person, which in return is taking away someone else's pleasure of the trail It does not matter how good your dog is the other person does not know it nor should not have to worry about whether that dog will bite or not. As for someone complaining just because you do not hear complaints may just mean that they are not saying anything about it. I have been approached by dogs many times and each time I think how inconsiderate of the person who owns that dog.
    would you say that in person to someone on the trail? I don't disagree with you - your post really causes folks to think,,,, and latly it is about making sure folks pay attention. I saw the rebuttal posts.... and keep in mind a few unleashed dogs are on a wireless leash ( mine )

Some of us like to see wildlife. On the trail the presence of dogs means the critters all stay clear. I WANT to see bear and moose, etc. A sniff of dog means no animals. Under control? Really. No barking at every single hiker that comes into the shelter? Day or night ? Even if you are tented 30 yards away? I have had dogs all my life. I've met a few nice ones on the trail but the majority have been a pain. Owners are always saying "he never did THAT before."
    Nope (and nothing against BB) folks you want to see more wildlife? You stink! not your dog....Right from the bible.... And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moves upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. In short if you are not educated to be as quite as possible and remove your smell - good luck they do not call me Trapper Mark for nothing at my office....

I think it means there are lots of dogs in the US so tough darts, get used to it.
    Yea you GO BB!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Oh wait.. I have been married 27 years and Rugby doesn't talk and reveal my thoughts.. He listens.... something my partner in life really struggles with. Interesting post... Papa D...
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-30-2012 at 21:45.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Whiteblaze community are idealists when posting here but turn to realists when hiking on trails.

Dogs can be categorized like us people , there are good, bad and ugly people and good ,bad and ugly dogs.

OP's dog seems to be the good one. I have had quite discussion when started posting here as I hike with my dog everywhere ( and I mean it) and after ups and downs (sometimes arguing )with anti dogs find out that first they do not know how obedient and frindly and exceptional is my dog and second when it comes to my PCT or AT or CDT hiking WB posters are not there to judge .

Just enjoy your dog's company and let this problem be the problem of people that do not have a well trained and friendly and obedient dog as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Whiteblaze community are idealists when posting here but turn to realists when hiking on trails.

Dogs can be categorized like us people , there are good, bad and ugly people and good ,bad and ugly dogs.

OP's dog seems to be the good one. I have had quite discussion when started posting here as I hike with my dog everywhere ( and I mean it) and after ups and downs (sometimes arguing )with anti dogs find out that first they do not know how obedient and frindly and exceptional is my dog and second when it comes to my PCT or AT or CDT hiking WB posters are not there to judge .

Just enjoy your dog's company and let this problem be the problem of people that do not have a well trained and friendly and obedient dog as yours.
    Dogs are categorized as a pet brought by their owner(s), no matter what the temperament of the dog because it doesn't matter. The owner(s) are solely responsible for their pet. Unfortunately, most, and I do mean most, owners take a care-less attitude about others when it concerns their pet. The few hikers who do control their pet is very much in the minority. I'm a "Realist" on or off any trail. I also realize that all the threads and posts on WB about dogs will matter zero.

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Dogs are categorized as a pet brought by their owner(s), no matter what the temperament of the dog because it doesn't matter. The owner(s) are solely responsible for their pet. Unfortunately, most, and I do mean most, owners take a care-less attitude about others when it concerns their pet. The few hikers who do control their pet is very much in the minority. I'm a "Realist" on or off any trail. I also realize that all the threads and posts on WB about dogs will matter zero.
    OK , some WB posters are Realist on and off the trails. That was my mistake not to mention the word " some ". But the temperament of dogs Does matter.

For a long time I had this illusion that dogs are a good reflection of their owner's temperament or even personality but I happened to come upon a few bad dogs with very good owners simply because they did not know how to train an innocent puppy to a good dog. They Wanted to but they just did not know how and they ended up with a dog that has a good nature but is not fully obedient or trained.

My dog's name is Delta . It is not a name with no meaning. It is my fourth lifetime dog and I called him delta following Greek alphabets ( alpha, beta, gamma, delta,) but my first three were not named Greek!!! they were named Negro, Marlow and Panda.

It took me years of trial and error to find out how to train a dog the way that is supposed to and I can understand that it is not always easy. As a dog lover I beg hikers that are not in real control of their dogs not to bring them on the busy trails. The training of a hiking dog should not start on any busy trail or in the expense of the inconvenience of other hikers.

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

the only times i didn't see wildlife were actually when i was hiking with other people. i saw too many deer to count, eight bear, two rattlesnakes, too many non-poisonous snakes to count, a porcupine, and a bull moose. my dog was with me for each of those encounters.

otoh, i was hiking up fork mountain and i had just witnessed a mama deer and her tiny fawn walking through the woods... we just sat there and looked at each other for quite some time, then we both went on our ways. that was the last wildlife i saw that day because a group of 15+ sobo slackpackers passed me and actually informed me that any wildlife that i might have seen, i no longer would.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    the only times i didn't see wildlife were actually when i was hiking with other people. i saw too many deer to count, eight bear, two rattlesnakes, too many non-poisonous snakes to count, a porcupine, and a bull moose. my dog was with me for each of those encounters. otoh, i was hiking up fork mountain and i had just witnessed a mama deer and her tiny fawn walking through the woods... we just sat there and looked at each other for quite some time, then we both went on our ways. that was the last wildlife i saw that day because a group of 15+ sobo slackpackers passed me and actually informed me that any wildlife that i might have seen, i no longer would.
    Well said.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Ill say it again. its really much more of an issue here on WB than it is on the trail.
    Try telling that to the off-leash dogs who run into people when skiing on narrow single track trail. :O

I am in control and it is still dangerous for me and the dog both when a dog is supposed to be leashed and it is not.

Honestly. Leash laws are not draconian and are often there for the dog's safety, too.

I suspect the OP is long gone though. No doubt walking the dog off-leash somewhere in the Boulder-area.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-31-2012 at 10:15.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Try telling that to the off-leash dogs who run into people when skiing on narrow single track trail. :O

I am in control and it is still dangerous for me and the dog both when a dog is supposed to be leashed and it is not.

Honestly. Leash laws are not draconian and are often there for the dog's safety, too.

I suspect the OP is long gone though. No doubt walking the dog off-leash somewhere in the Boulder-area.
    ill agree with you there, but its the owners again, not the dogs. I do love dogs, but when im alone in the woods and an off leash dog comes running toward me, i get more anxious than seeing a bear, until the owner finally comes along telling me not to worry hes friendly. yeah ok .

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ill agree with you there, but its the owners again, not the dogs.
    Sure, ultimately it's the owners fault and responsability, but it's a package deal. One wouldn't be there without the other. With the exception of strays of course.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++