WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Oh good, this zombie thread got resurrected...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    Did you read the rest of the post ? In the 20 plus years of hiking the A.T. I've come across many obnoxious people and yet never had a problem with dog. Let's get the mean people off the trail and let them walk the malls where dogs are not allowed.
    In my 20 plus years of hiking on the AT I've meet many obnoxious people with their obnoxious dogs. They tend to go together, as a dogs personality will often mirror that of the owner. A bad owner makes for a bad dog and while you can't blame the dog, it's still a problem. The more obnoxious the dog, the more arrogent the owner is about the behavior.

Typically the above is true for day and weekend hikers. Thru hiker dogs can be oboxious at the start of the trip, but after a week or so thier so damn tired they just want to lay down and sleep. Plus thier all pretty much gone by Virgina anyway.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Never had an issue with a dog on the trail. I leave mine home because its easier for me. Hiking with a dog adds extra work. Each dog is different too. Some need to be leashed some do not.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    The thing i really take exception to is where i read on another site someone encouraging a couple who wants to keep their dog with them the whole time to fraudulently file for a service animal permit, stating that is what he did to get around it
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Which part about giving false information to and disobeying the order of a ranger (or any official) does this guy not understand? Seriously - only an idiot questions the authority of a federal officer wearing a badge and brandishing a drawn Taser.
    There are definitely people, especially once they leave "civilization," who think law is for lesser mortals and think nothing of disdaining law enforcement officers, rules, and their fellow man.

Kinda sad that we even run into it on WB, where the User Agreement must state:

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts ... are forbidden.
    I have run into a few bad dogs and bad dog owners on the AT. Thank goodness the good ones far outnumber these self-indulgent jerks.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Dogs are like toilet paper; natural enough in substance until misused or misplaced by human hands, often relegated to a simple piece of property best kept private.

While neither are offensive to thier owner, seldom is a stranger willing or eager to encounter these items in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    Personally I'd rather share a shelter with a dog than a farting,snoring old man any day, lol.
    And some how you think these maladies are going to by pass you when you get older. Let me know when you hit 60 how it is working for you.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Images

Have your dog pack trail magic like this one!

SWVA 042.jpg

I've said repeatedly over the years that it's not a dog problem, it's an OWNER problem. All too many people hit the Trail with animals that are too young; ill-trained or not at all trained; that won't respond to voice command; that are skittish, threatening, or violent towards strangers; that don't behave correctly with other dogs, wild animals, etc.; or the biggest sin of all, dogs whose owners are too tired, inattentive, lazy, or downright thoughtless when it comes to over-seeing how their pet is interacting with other people. This morning, first thing after I get outta bed, a hiker dog leaps towards me growling and snarling. This is not why I'm out of the woods, folks. The owwner said "Easy, dude, everything's cool." Um, no, it isn't cool, and that's the essence of the "dog problem" on the Trail, and dogs like that, or dogs with owners like that, don't belong out here. Again: It's usually an owner problem and I wish more owners would recognize themselves here.

I don't mind dogs as long as they're not violating my personal space. It's not that different from how I'd react to another person if they came up and started sniffing/licking/biting me.

Just this past weekend 2 large dogs (1 a pit bull) appeared on the crest of the trail where it curved up ahead. They spotted my friend and I and bounded down the hill toward us. We were scared to death. We yelled in deep voices to deter them. They did not harm us, but sort of circled around us until the owner eventually appeared and called them off.

I have been bitten by a dog. My son has been bitten. I know several others who have. My friend was attacked by a pit bull a few years ago and it ripped portions of her face and scalp off(not on trail). On trail, I have been jumped on, scratched, and muddied by dogs. And, the owners I have encountered seem oblivious and/or quite entitled to have their dog rushing people and/or jumping on them.

When I encounter a hiker who has his dog leashed, I make it a point to thank him...and generally say something nice about the dog. I like dogs. And I love that some are lucky enough to have an owner who walks them through the woods. But encountering loose dogs, without an owner even in sight, who rush you...jump up...scratch...etc...should never happen.

Images

Default The God-complex of some dog owners.

Quote Originally Posted by goin'4ahike View Post
    And, the owners I have encountered seem oblivious and/or quite entitled to have their dog rushing people and/or jumping on them.
    It's even worse when owners throw in the ol' totally self-serving proclamation that "no one has ever been bothered by my dog(s)." It's what I call their God-complex, once they assert that they are some sort of omni-intelligent mind-readers, even of people and things occurring outside their presence. Being oblivious is one thing. Affirmative self-delusion is another.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

This is mostly because of irresponsible owners of dogs allowing them to go leash-less and the then ramifications of those dogs "misbehaving". Also, to me when the law says they must be on a leash you ought to obey the law. Go home to your own yard if you wish to let them loose. Why do I say this? Well, there are too many variables on the trail for an owner to allow the dogs leash less. This results in injured pets, lost pets, and "dog behavior" that is a real bother to hikers.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

My Aussie, Sam has a few hundred miles on the trail, not many recently, but he's always been an outstanding trail dog...understanding of course that he is a dog. He is also a shepherd, which means he can be protective of his family, but he has been an outstanding trail dog because I have common sense. Common sense is what people lack...never sleep in a shelter with your dog...NEVER!!! The shelters are for people, not dogs. I would be appalled if he ever muddied up somebody, or destroyed property. If I choose to hike with him, then I choose to bring my tent, and set up said tent. I'm heading out this weekend, and leaving him behind, even though he has seen my pack out and knows where I am going, he always gets excited when the packs come out. He's being left behind because my 4.5 year old son is coming with, and I don't know how he will be on his first hike, and don't want to deal with any complications that may arise while also having my 70lb dog along, no matter how well behaved. Jack said it well when he brought up being tired, etc. If my son is upset, or having problems, leaving the dog behind means I don't have to deal with dog issues. Once I know my son is good then my dog can come with. I already know he doesn't chase animals or wander from the trail, but I trained him for two years before his first overnight hike. Many don't even spend a week training their dogs for the trail.

The trail mirrors real life, look around your neighborhood sometime. Almost everyone in my neighborhood owns a dog, but of over 30 households there are only about 4 or 5 of us that regularly walk their dogs, most just leave them outside to become crazy, and of the people I do see walking their dog, most let their dog pull them up the road. These are the dogs that run with muddy paws across my sleeping bag in a shelter, or pee on someone's pack. These dogs give all dogs a bad name on the trail.

Case in point, I was hiking on the BMT about a year back and set up my tent at a campsite. I was sitting there eating dinner and another hiker came in. Sam was lying down next to me, his leash in my lap (he was waiting for me to share), and I said hello to the guy. He eyed my dog, and then looks back at me and says, "Dogs don't belong on the trail. If you're dog comes near me I can't promise what I'll do." I wasn't stunned by the attitude, but I was offended at the threat to my dog, so I told him maybe you ought to hike on, because I don't want to see what Sam will do if you hit him, and I get angry (Sam tends to either get scared or aggressive when I get mad). The guy looked down for a second, and then looked back up, gave a tired apology, and said he had just had bad experiences with dogs, including one peeing on his tent the last time he was out, and being chased by two dogs another time. I told him Sam stays on leash the entire time in camp, and that we wont' have any problems. We didn't, and he was gone by the time we got up in the morning.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I've said repeatedly over the years that it's not a dog problem, it's an OWNER problem.
    Yes, it's an owner problem, but because of that owner the dog becomes a problem so there really isn't any practical difference.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you are going to have a dog you have a responsibility to socialize it. Same as teaching your children how to behave in society, unsocialized kids frequently end up in jail, and/or hurt by their misbehavior. My dogs were not allowed to have a tight leash. If a leash went tight she stopped looked at me with a "what's up" look. stopped and let people come to her, heeled and did not lunge at other dogs.
    Your dog does not belong on other people's sleeping bags, tents, knocking over food, or any of the other bad dog behavior others have mentioned.
    If your dog is not properly socialized it does not belong on the trail.
    And the Law states leash your dog at all times. Easy statement to understand!! So leash your dog. Your dog and everyone on the trail will be happier.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    And the Law states leash your dog at all times. Easy statement to understand!! So leash your dog. Your dog and everyone on the trail will be happier.
    While I happen to agree that dogs (including my own) should be leashed while on the A.T. it is only required on about half the trail. The laws are a patchwork of Federal, State, and local regulations. You can check the link to the ATC website below for more info.

Again, i'm not trying to start an argument, just stating facts. If everyone actually kept their dogs on leash, threads like this probsbly wouldn't even exist.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...king-with-dogs
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 03-20-2014 at 13:10.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    While I happen to agree that dogs (including my own) should be leashed while on the A.T. it is only required on about half the trail. The laws are a patchwork of Federal, State, and local regulations. You can check the link to the ATC website below for more info.

Again, i'm not trying to start an argument, just stating facts. If everyone actually kept their dogs on leash, threads like this probsbly wouldn't even exist.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...king-with-dogs
    Sarcasm is right...I always have a leash attached to Sam's pack, but don't always hold it. His recall is perfect on trail, and I always recall him when I see others (he's always within 10 yards of me, and doesn't wander off trail). IF they're coming towards me or faster, I put him in a sit, and let them pass. When we pass people, he ignores them because his job is to follow me. His interest in other dogs is also minimal while he wears his pack...but as I said, I worked with him for two years before he went on his first overnight. Dogs shouldn't hike with packs until 2, so there is plenty of time for people to work with their dogs.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Some folks will never get it. This is a well known hiker doing the Florida Trail this year and his run in with bad owners.

Another incident, a couple that has camped with us have a dog. That
    evening they let it run lose and it jumped on my tent. I yelled at them to
    keep their dog off my tent. They camped further away tonight. I never got
    the first word of an apology from them this morning. Just think if my
    cuben fiber tent had been ripped open I would have been eating by mosquitos
    and then rained on for the next two days till I could reach transportation
    home and since no apology probably no compensation for hundreds of dollars
    damage.
    http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=42941
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am usually not an ******* in the woods, but I'll admit to being one some years back.

I was told what so many of us are told when an unleashed dog is running at us. When I stared at the owner and repeated back "Don't worry I won't hurtyou" I almost certainly crossed a line judging by the look on the woman's face.

I won't do that again, but neither will I chuckle and make small talk like that is acceptable. And like the previous poster, I always thank those owners who stop and connect their dog to a leash as they see me approaching
    Last edited by rickb; 03-20-2014 at 18:08.

Journal Entries
    Images

While all this is good and I agree with most of the comments. I do want to say that when I do pass another hiker with a dog and the dog is obeying the commands of the owner it is pretty neat to see! I always admire a well kept and trained dog. We say the problems are caused by problem owners. Well and true. On the other hand, the great dogs that perform well, obey commands, good around others, etc., are a result of an owner that is pretty dedicated to that pet. Lucky dog!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++