Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 235
  1. #161
    Registered User lonehiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-18-2005
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    Is there really so much animosity towards dogs/their owners on the AT? 2 years and 2 months and still going strong (amongst all the previous threads of same/similar subject). So, guess that answers the OP's question.
    Lonehiker

  2. #162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    For good or ill, the AT has mandatory leash regulations for 40%+ of the trail.

    The two of you, and others, may have a well behaved dog. But the leash laws are there for a reason.
    Very good info at that link. Should be a MUST read for all hikers contemplating taking a dog out on any trail.
    Trillium

  3. #163
    Registered User Grampie's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-25-2002
    Location
    Meriden, CT
    Posts
    1,382
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    My wife and I will be hiking with our 6 year old Miniature Dachshund. She is a very good hiking dog, and most of the time stays clear of strangers. We hardly ever have her on a leash while hiking, and she generally hikes between the two of us. Being a Dachshund, of course she can be a barker, and that never lasts more than a minute at the most. She's a great trail dog, and keeps to herself about 95% of the time. We're already planning on sleeping in our tent when the shelters get crowded, just in case she starts barking. Most of the evening she'll spend sleeping in one of our bags, or least after she eats.
    My question to you is, why do you feel that you have to take your dog hiking on the AT. There are plenty of trails around that you could walk your little doggie on and not piss off thru-hikers who don't want to deal with someones barking cute little dog and just want to get a good nights sleep. Or is your purpose not to care and like to piss folks off.
    Grampie-N->2001

  4. #164
    Registered User canoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-29-2012
    Location
    Tyner, NC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    My question to you is, why do you feel that you have to take your dog hiking on the AT. There are plenty of trails around that you could walk your little doggie on and not piss off thru-hikers who don't want to deal with someones barking cute little dog and just want to get a good nights sleep. Or is your purpose not to care and like to piss folks off.
    1. because she wants too
    2. the dog is a loved companion
    3 she dont want to board her foo foo
    4 It is her right to do so
    that is just a few reasons why people hike with their dogs. Because its legal

  5. #165

    Default

    All of which are valid arguments, -as long as the dog stays on a leash-.

  6. #166

    Default

    I can't even count the number of times that dogs (I really blame the ownes) have annoyed (messed with me) me on the trail.

    It seems to happen on every hike, even though I'm just minding my own business.

  7. #167
    Registered User canoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-29-2012
    Location
    Tyner, NC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    All of which are valid arguments, -as long as the dog stays on a leash-.
    But dont forget that over 60per cent of the trail is no leash requirement do they can legally run free.

  8. #168
    Super Moderator Marta's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-30-2005
    Location
    NW MT
    Posts
    5,468
    Images
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    But dont forget that over 60per cent of the trail is no leash requirement do they can legally run free.
    Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's smart, or considerate. Letting your dog roll in the water source may not be illegal, but it's quite inconsiderate. It may not be illegal to let your dog run off after a deer, but when it's gone from your sight and control, you're endangering the dog as well as harassing the wildlife that many of us go hiking to see.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

    ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

    Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

  9. #169
    Registered User Drybones's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-13-2010
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I can't even count the number of times that dogs (I really blame the ownes) have annoyed (messed with me) me on the trail.

    It seems to happen on every hike, even though I'm just minding my own business.
    Interesting, I've never, ever, had a dog bother me hiking, I've made friends with every one I've met.

  10. #170
    Registered User Drybones's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-13-2010
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    I sure wish this thread would die before I lose it.

  11. #171
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    +1 Drybones... You would think that thoughtful adult heads would prevail....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  12. #172
    Super Moderator Marta's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-30-2005
    Location
    NW MT
    Posts
    5,468
    Images
    56

    Default

    Anyone who does not wish to discuss this subject, or to read opinions they disagree with, does not have to read this thread.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

    ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

    Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

  13. #173
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Marta maybe you miss the issue here, This goes all back to the sticky on the thread about keeping it all positive, quite a few people came here for information about hiking with dogs long distance and after reading all the negativity will move on or stop posting. Drybones & I have dogs. Yes we hike the trail. Yes we are dog tired of "leash" posts from insensitive posters.


    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...before-posting
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  14. #174
    Super Moderator Marta's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-30-2005
    Location
    NW MT
    Posts
    5,468
    Images
    56

    Default

    The question was asked whether there is animosity towards dogs. Some people have answered Yes; others have answered No. The discussion has been civil. I do not see a problem.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

    ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

    Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

  15. #175
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    I see your point - but over the years some of the threads reflected badly for WB.

    What happens here rarely is the reality of the trail.

    AT Hanna started this thread and quit a few days later.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-03-2014 at 23:52.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  16. #176
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,029
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I see your point - but over the years some of the threads reflected badly for WB.

    What happens here rarely is the reality of the trail.

    AT Hanna started this thread and quit a few days later.
    I believe all the replies to this thread have been sincere.

    You are correct that the reality on the Trail is that most people keep their opinions and feelings to themselves regarding dogs.

    I disagree with you if you are suggesting at the opinions expressed in this thread are not real, however.

    I am not sure it is so bad that people feel comfortable sharing them on WB, who would otherwise keep these opinion to themselves in the woods. I definitely think dogs have a place on the AT, but just as people need to understand that, so to should dog owners understand the depth and breadth of some peoples issue with them. I just wish this thread illuminated the root causes for those feelings better. My guess is that far more people have been bitten or seriously challenged by an aggressive dog than most good dog owners realize.

    Some of you all would have had fun hiking back when there were fare more road walks, and people routinely let their dogs outside to run around unsupervised, now that was fun! At least hikers walking with their own dogs need not deal with that so much anymore.
    Last edited by rickb; 04-04-2014 at 05:02.

  17. #177
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Join Date
    03-05-2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    39
    Posts
    6,885
    Images
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I believe all the replies to this thread have been sincere.

    You are correct that the reality on the Trail is that most people keep their opinions and feelings to themselves regarding dogs.

    I disagree with you if you are suggesting at the opinions expressed in this thread are not real, however.

    I am not sure it is so bad that people feel comfortable sharing them on WB, who would otherwise keep these opinion to themselves in the woods. I definitely think dogs have a place on the AT, but just as people need to understand that, so to should dog owners understand the depth and breadth of some peoples issue with them. I just wish this thread illuminated the root causes for those feelings better. My guess is that far more people have been bitten or seriously challenged by an aggressive dog than most good dog owners realize.

    Some of you all would have had fun hiking back when there were fare more road walks, and people routinely let their dogs outside to run around unsupervised, now that was fun! At least hikers walking with their own dogs need not deal with that so much anymore.
    Rick, in response to the comment in bold above, Yes I do believe that it is a bad thing that many people who would never call out a bad dog owner on the trail are willing to vent about dog problems on this site.

    Consider the following:

    1)If you have a problem with someone's dog on the trail, then tell them. Odds are they don't realize that they are pissing people off and I can assure you that those folks aren't on this site reading about how to hike with their dog responsibly. It is because of this that:

    2) Complaining to dog owners who are on WB is basically preaching to the choir. Those of us who are active on the site are the ones that do care and who have taken the time to properly prepare and train our dogs and keep them under control. You might not realize it but:

    3) Good dog owners hate bad dog owners far more than most hikers will understand. It is hard enough to hike with my own well behaved dog. The last thing i want to deal with on the trail is some idiot's untrained and unleashed dog that wants to play with or attack my leashed and under control dog. I put a lot of time and effort into having a dog that is bombproof on the trail and who nearly every hiker I speak to is happy to meet (largely because my dog doesn't walk up to people unless she has been given permission) All this is why:

    4) I am tired of dealing with certain percentage of internet tough guys (Not to be confused with the people who post Actual constructive criticism and useful suggestions/advice) that think that every thread about backpacking with a dog is their invitation to list out every real or imagined grievance they have about dogs on the trail and the then try assign blame to all dog owners. Sadly this results in:

    5) Many, many, new hikers who come to this site looking for help as they start to hike with their dogs quickly get disgusted with the kind of unhelpful and adversarial replies they receive from some non dog owners, and very often these new members quickly leave because if it. I know several people personally that refuse to use the site because of this, i have also received PMs from departing members over the years and have met many people on the trail who have said that the dog forum is why they left WB.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-04-2014 at 09:06.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

  18. #178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    But dont forget that over 60per cent of the trail is no leash requirement do they can legally run free.
    Actually it's 40% of the trail requires a leash.
    AT15
    OT15

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-29-2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    I don't understand the assumption in so many posts that dog owners don't have a problem with dogs on the AT.

    Then I also own more firearms than 98% of the loudest posters on here and don't take them on the trail either.

    The ownership of either requires intelligent decisions. Doesn't make me need to love every untrained dog owner or sloppy gun owner.

    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-12-2002
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    13,191

    Default

    Sorry to see this discussion get contentious, but I feel compelled to state one thing plainly: Dogs that have been poorly trained; dogs that are skittish around strangers; dogs that snarl or bark at people; dogs that are liable to chase wildlife; dogs that do not immediately respond to their owners' voice commands.......well, these dogs need to be on leashes, period, and there is nothing remotely "inconsiderate" about saying so. On the contrary, the inconsideration here comes from the owners, and their numbers are legion, who simply ignore the problems their unleashed dog is creating, or worse, they the problem and then they do nothing about it.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •