WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default closest white blazes to ashville???

i just got yonder mountian string band with the infamous stringdusters tickets for the end of febuary in ashville NC, I want to do a day hike after the shows befor i head home... so whats the closest AT trail head from ashiville?

I26/Sams gap

is that big bald?

yes. about 6 miles south of big bald

Standing bear, Hot Springs, and Erwin are all pretty close, too.

Images

I did a nice day hike once, from Sams Gap off I-26, over Big Bald, to Spivey Gap on US Hwy 19W. Sams Gap is a pretty close trail head from Asheville. Could also hike south from there if you preferred.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

is there parking at sams gap i hvent been there in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.c View Post
    is there parking at sams gap i hvent been there in a while?
    Yes, yes there is.

Images

Suggestion: Contact Fred and Hattie at Hemlock Hiker Hostel - Log Cabin Road - 18 miles north of Hot Springs - spend the night in one of their lovely cabins by the creek and have them shuttle you. You'll be glad you did - I'd suggest something like Devil Fork Gap back to Allen Gap. If you like to push it, he could take you to Sams Gap or if you want to go up Big Bald, Spivey Gap ... here is the number:

423-787-0917
    www.hemlockhollowinn.com

j
    ust saw the "day's hike thing in your post"

Devil Fork to Allen Gap is 20 miles - you might consider going from Allen Gap to Tanyard Gap - that's a chill 8 miles - HH can shuttle that or all the way to Hot Springs - about 18 miles
    FYI _ Spivey to Allen is 40+ - too much for a day (for almost anyone)
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-31-2012 at 21:45.

Images

Lots of good AT day hikes close to Asheville if you just want to drive, park your car at a gap, walk about 6 miles with a 3000' elevation change with a great 360 view at the top and then walk back to your car. Sam's Gap to Big Bald is the closest and and five stars. Spivey Gap to Big Bald is a little further than Sam's Gap but not much. You might get to meet the hermit of Little Bald if you go that way. Devil's Fork to Camp Creek Bald is close, also. That has the Yankee Graves up there with some nice ridge walking. Davenport Gap is close with a walk to the top of Snowbird with a view of Max Patch and the Eastern Smokies. All about 12 hiking miles round trip.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You also have the Mountains to Sea Trail going right through Asheville along the parkway.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

When I drove back through ashville I went and hiked max patch then stayed the night at Elmer's. I had Max patch all to myself on a great weather day! Then had to see Elmer's again love the place (old time house, and home like feeling.)

Images

Parking at Sam's Gap, right after you cross under the I26. Picture taken this past August.

Sam's Gap2.jpg

Images

To get to Sams Gap parking you need to get off the interstate at the Wolf Laurel Exit.

From Hot Springs you can do a nice ~10 mile loop in which you go N on AT for about 5-6 miles, then take a left on a trail (sorry I don't remember the name of this connecting trail or how it was blazed, but can probably find this online - I did this a few years ago when I was in Asheville for a conference) that takes you back to the river. Very nice views of the river from above in the first couple miles of this AT section.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    From Hot Springs you can do a nice ~10 mile loop in which you go N on AT for about 5-6 miles, then take a left on a trail (sorry I don't remember the name of this connecting trail or how it was blazed, but can probably find this online - I did this a few years ago when I was in Asheville for a conference) that takes you back to the river. Very nice views of the river from above in the first couple miles of this AT section.
    Roundtop Ridge Trail - it's the old AT and how I hike into Hot Springs going south because it's several miles shorter than the AT and all downhill....

Sam's Gap is 20 minutes from Asheville. Going west on 26 get off at exit 3 (Wolf Laurel), make a right and go till the road ends (about .25 miles), make a left up and drive up the mountain until you see the 26 underpass - parking is on the left - can't miss it.

But, I'd drive up to Erwin where there are safer places to park. It's only another 20 minutes up the highway and from here you could hike Roan Mt. south to Erwin which is another great hike.

Heck... all the hikes are good around here. I parked at Devil's Fork Gap night before last and hiked the 6 miles up to Hogback Ridge shelter just to spend the night because it was cold and windy (gusts up to 25 mph) - my favorite kind of hiking weather.
    Last edited by 10-K; 02-01-2012 at 15:23.

++ New Posts ++