WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Five years ago I was a die-hard Merrell fan, but I have recently noticed some serious issues with quality control that I find disconcerting especially when it comes to thru-hiking. One pair will be totally awesome and the next will fall apart in (literally) less than a week.
    This is an adventure.

Also, keep in mind that your choice of socks/sock liners will also be very important to the health of your feet.
    This is an adventure.

Images

The Salomon XA Pro and XA Comp are really very different shoes. I've owned both, and much prefer the XA Comp. They are softer, more flexible, and seem to fit me better. I have mesh XA Comps for most of the year, and Goretex for winter hiking in snow. If they fit you well, they'll hold up for maybe 1/3 of the trail, maybe less -- meaning that if you choose trail runners, you'll need to replace them along the way.

Given that your feet will change, I'd rather buy new shoes at an outfitter than buy several pairs in advance of a long hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I think the best advice so far was to find the shoe company whose last seems to fit you best and go from there, there is no replacement for familiarity with the fit and performance of footwear. For me it is New Balance or Vasque. I just check out discount sites like sierra trading post and Joe's NB before I need them and stock up if I can afford to, I haven't paid more than 60% of retail in over a decade. For me shoes are unfortunately a disposable item and my size is a little tougher on them than many. Even when I wore boots to hike it seemed like there is always a point where the shoes/boots become uncomfortable and progress to painful if you don't replace them even if they look ok and are not falling apart. I could not imagine planning to hike a thru on less than 3 pairs of trail shoes and would budget for more. I have certainly heard of folks finishing with 1 pair of burly boots maybe having replaced the insoles a couple of times. For me this would greatly diminish the enjoyment of hiking as they are way overkill. You can easily find trail shoes/runners/light hikers for around 50$. Four of those is less than a pair of bomber boots which most long distance hikers would end up replacing with runners or light hikers anyway. I don't like the unsustainable nature of using many pairs of shoes in a season, if you have the bucks you can find suitable shoes made of recycled material.

I went through 3 pair of Merrell Moabs (low cut version) on my hike. I have wide feet and the Merrells are available in wide sizes. They were very comfortable, drained well after stream fordings, and dried fast. I tossed the insoles that came with them and substituted Dr. Scholls Gel Sport Insoles (about $15) that were available at any drug store and many grocery stores along the way. I replaced the insoles about every 200-300 miles.

For anyone Interested I ended up going with the Synapse(the basic model) from Salomon. initial impressions were lots of cushion, breath pretty good, and super thick tread that moves very well. I've broken them in at this point wearing them around for 2 weeks at work and now I've put them up.

I went with this shoe for various reasons but mostly the fact that I represent this brand where I work so I already knew a good deal about them and after reading about Jennifer Pharr Davis world record AT thru at 46 days on a single pair of synapse I figured I could hardly go wrong. After wearing them around I am satisfied with my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Five years ago I was a die-hard Merrell fan, but I have recently noticed some serious issues with quality control that I find disconcerting especially when it comes to thru-hiking. One pair will be totally awesome and the next will fall apart in (literally) less than a week.
    My thoughts precisely. Merrell shoes were my "go to" shoe for comfort and reliability from the late 90's. Today, it's entirely hit and miss because of quality.

Here's some additional thoughts on shoe purchases which has helped me a great deal:

I NEVER buy "latest and greatest" anymore. Besides being unnecessarily expensive, it can be utterly frustrating when they don't perform as you would like.

I ALWAYS buy ONLY from a retailer with an exceptionally easy return policy. WHEN something does go wrong, I don't want any hassles on the return at all.

I research shoes I'm going to buy. If you do this enough, you'll get mighty skilled with what to look for. For instance as stated above, I am usually buying last year's model or older - hence there are a LOT of YOU out there who have something to say about them. I cross-reference different seller's customer reviews to ensure I am getting the "straight dope" (this is important as certain sellers can hide specific negative problems by omitting the reviewers who stated, "they separate at the toe" or the like). A key to this research is to find those hearty individuals who use and abuse the shoe in the same or more intense manner you wish to. I never even see the reviews such as, "I bought these for my boyfriend 2 weeks ago and he just loves them! 5 stars, you are the best!"

And last, because of the quality issue today, you can't trust a single manufacturer, you WANT to do your homework on each model as much as you can because if you window shop you're going to get what you get.

~ Cheers

It is pointless to talk about brand names and models because by the time you wear a pair out, or even try a pair out long enough to determine you want another pair, the models have changed. You have to develop and eye and some knowledge for what you are looking for. What materials will work better, and what materials and construction will last longer. Avoid logos that are ill-placed where they will wear through the material and into your foot. Avoid padding that will absorb and hold water. Shoes are designed to wear out. Look for something that won't, or is cheap enough to replace and still be functional and comfortable. You might be surprised what will last and what will wear out. Lighter and cheaper is often better, as long as it fits. A lot of extra weight is fluff designed to sell at a higher price and is often counter productive to fit and function.

Be your own outfitter.

i agree that you should go with something you know if that's a possibility. i also agree that going to an outfitter or running store to get fitted is a sensible idea.

i was fitted at a local running store in 2005. at the end of the exercise the owner of the store recommended saucony shoes. i bought a pair of their trail shoes and i still have them today. i am obviously not a serious runner, and they're not my only pair of shoes, but i have gone through several other pairs of shoes in that same time and nothing has held up quite like my saucony shoes. the only other pair of shoes i have that have lasted that long were some old solomons that i have been using on weekend hikes and paintballing for the last 12 years.

if saucony shoes fit you, or if you try them and find that you like them, check out their ProGrid Outlaw hiking shoes. i have a pair and i love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Saucony-Progri.../dp/B004O8UJV4

good luck...

(ps - i like keens, too, but every pair i have the soles have peeled off well before the shoe wore out so i quit buying their shoes)

Images

I would go with whatever Zola Bud hikes in.

Images

Whatever provides:

In order of importance,

Good fit
    Good Comfort
    Good arch support (can be corrected with new insoles)
    Good sole protection from rocks/stone bruising
    Good durability
    Good looks

If you want waterproof, add that wherever you want, some where toward the bottom of the list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++