WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMD View Post
    Starting my first section hike on the AT this year. Fontana to Damascus beginning early may. Still working on getting back to Austin or Dallas from Damascus - any thoughts on this? I need to be back by the end of may. Also, how tough is this section? I'm budgeting 12-15 miles per day with maybe 3 or 4 zeros thrown in there. Is that realistic? I'm in pretty good shape and should be carrying around 32-35lbs. Thanks in advance!
    My friend and I did that exact section last June. Took us 27 days. That was our longest backpack trip so far. We did a Near-0 at Standing Bear, a Zero in Hot Springs, and overnights at Erwin and Roan Mtn (Mtn Harbor--great place). It was probably just the right amount of challenge for us...Had a great time!!

Knocked out all of Georgia and about 20 miles (north of Hot Springs) in NC in 2011. Plan to spend 2012 doing as much as NC as possible. All SOBO.

I did that same section last year.. I averaged the same 12-15 miles per day. (I was 67 last year.) Great trip

Getting out of Damascus is somewhat of a pain. Contact the folks at Mt Rogers Outfitters to arrange a shuttle. Last year I took a shuttle to Bristol, then a Greyhound to Knoxville for a flight to Dallas. That ended up as two days.

It might be easier to shuttle to a town with Amtrak and then to somewhere with an airport.

Journal Entries

Default April 8TH

Flight to Atlanta on 8TH and plan on hitting trail that day. Going NOBO as far as possible in 14 days. I will be hopping on one foot if my Achilles does not heel quicker than last two months. Looks like we might run into each other on trail. Good Luck too all and God Speed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Leaving early to mid April...plan is to go from Springer to Harpers Ferry....more or less the half way point. Return next year and complete the second half. I'm leaving the door open in case I want to complete a straight through this year. That's why I'm leaving in April.We don't want to feel any pressure while hiking but still want to do the entire trail.

Started at Springer 3 years ago - and did good mileage. So far I've made it about 20 miles north of Erwin to Iron Gap. This year work and family are making it harder to do more than a week at a time. This year (in May) I'm going from Iron Gap to Damascus. Should take 6 or 7 days. Sure wish I could take a month ! You and I are about the same age. I'm sure you can appreciate that I want to do more while my health is still great. ! Good Luck to you.

I'm not 'section hiking' but I will be on the AT again this year, the plan as of now is to hike from Pearisburg to Waynesboro or Front Royal depending on timeframes and other things coming together, this hike will be preceded by a thru-hike of the Long Trail so hoping to be pushing north from Pearisburg in mid/late August

Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam late March. That completes to Dennis Cove. I will do Dennis Cove to Damascus or farther in mid October.

Images

I will be filling in a section from Bland to Pearisburg and then jumping up to US501 on to Waynesboro in May. I also will be stopping by Trail Days! I can't wait to get out there again)
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

Images

Just retired. will be hiking Damascus to Springer. Leaving mid April.

I plan to do my 2nd 200-mile stretch this year--maybe more. I'll be leaving Clingmans Dome in the 2nd week of June headed north. Would love to make it all the way to Damascus!

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post

Oh yeah, and I might break 1000 miles this year...woo hoo!
    AWESOME!!!

ERNMAN

Harpers Ferry to Lehigh Gap in June.... I have a month. We will see how that goes...

Springer to Atkins, VA

Hot Springs to Erwin in April.....Erwin to 19E in Sept.

plus 2 here,,,,,,,planning to start march 23rd,,,,,,and hike the trail starting in georgia............ending on katahdin.....anyone out there looking to start the same time? if so,,,,,,love to hear from you

Journal Entries
    Images

I just finished Springer to the NOC in January so now i've completed the trail all the way up to Fox Creek VA. I'll start @ 150 miles north of there & hike back to Damascus for trail days, then do the JMT in late Aug thru September then back on the AT in the Fall colors to finish up the rest of VA & maybe throw in a December hike as well?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Starting at Rock Gap in North Carolina, over spring Break. I hope to make it to the end of the smokies.. 132.1 miles in about 8 and a half days. plus i'm hiking with my friend who has never done any hiking really. should be a blast! can't wait!
    "Teufel Hunden"

I plan to finish northern Pa. (waiting for rattlers and copperheads to come out). We only saw one little copperhead between Duncannon and Port Clinton last November.

Should be lots of snakes (lots of bugs from warm winter to feed lots of small animals which will have large litters, clutches, whatever to feed lots of snakes). Should be interesting.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I should be there around the same time-direction. What week are you going? I plan to go the week before Memorial day.

This post was directed to PR Man. Sorry.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++