WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Monson General Store for Sale

Hello Everyone!

MONSON GENERAL STORE - On the Market, Listing Price $155,000

One of my favorite towns on the AT was Monson, Maine. Why you ask? Because of the Monson General Store.

The Monson General Store has been around since 1910, serving the community for over 100 years. It has also served Appalachian Trail hikers since the beginning of the trail's existence. And it's smack dab in the middle of Monson, Maine. And it's on the market.

Owner: Tim Anderson (amazing guy btw)

Property: 4 levels (it's huge) - The cellar was once used as an arcade/pizza place, but is currently just a wide-open space. The second level is the store (which also has a full kitchen), the third level is the "apartment." However, it's more like a full-size house with 5 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, and glassed-in sun porch. Oh, and it's being sold fully furnished. The fourth level is a partly-finished attic, bringing the bedroom count to 6.

Cool Fact: The Monson General Store is also regularly used as a gathering place for local musicians. People gather right next to the milk cartons to sing and play music together, or (for people like us with no musical talent), to just listen.

Tim is officially putting this property on the market, and welcomes anyone with interest in the property to email him. It can and has been used as a hiker hostel, outfitter, grocery store, arcade, personal home, restaurant, and, as noted above, a small concert venue. But there are endless possibilities for this property if you have the imagination and passion to make it happen ...

If you are interested in purchasing Tim's property (or just want more info), email him here: [email protected]

If you know someone that would be interested, especially hiker-friendly friends, please forward them this thread!!!

To read more about my experience in Monson, Maine, check out this blog entry: http://www.beautybeneaththedirt.com/...ome-to-monson/

Sincerely,

Ringleader of The Traveling Circus

Images

Is Tim the guy who runs the store? If so, I met him in '04. He's from Alabama and has a curious story about how he wound up in Maine!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

http://www.homefinder.com/ME/Monson/..._Greenville_Rd
    http://www.homes.com/listing/1504771...ONSON_ME_04464
    Been on the market for 161 days - the real estate market up north is terrible.
    Tim's the finest kind, sad to see him moving on.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Been on the market for 161 days - the real estate market up north is terrible.
    161 days? that all? there's properties in damascus that have been for sale for 2 years or better

...when I win the Lotto, I want to buy one of these.

One can dream!

- - - - -

DirtyGirl
    2012 NoBo AT Thru-Hiker
    (and an incredibly proud 2011 SoBo JMT Thru-Hiker... I did it!!)

Ross Hayduk
    San Francisco, CA

www.hikerosshike.org

Daddy always said " It don't cost anything to dream".

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Hello All,, MR. Tim Anderson is from Georgia, not Alabama.
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

Monson and most of that area of Maine got hit with a double whammy during the recession. They lost a lot of summer traffic and this winter has been a bad one for snowmachine and ice fishing traffic which is normally very proftiable for the local stores. With the exception of tourist traffic and hikers its a hard place to make a living, but a great location to live.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I stayed with Tim for two nights. Mowed his grass, fed the live stock, gathered eggs, and helped around the rest of his properties. My final night, we had a huge BBQ with his wife Julie. It was fantastic! NTM his famous homemade pickled eggs..

He talked about putting the store on the market back in July, glad to see him move on - I think he's ready. Competition will do this to ya..

FWIW, the building is magnificant. Some creative, young purchasers could make the place competitive amongst others in town..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Alfonzo View Post
    Hello All,, MR. Tim Anderson is from Georgia, not Alabama.
    Then that makes even more sense. He told me when his enlistment was up with the Navy (?), he had to check a box for what city he wanted his discharge to be in. He selected "Augusta" thinking it was Augusta, Georgia. FAIL. LOL. But upon his discharge in Augusta, Maine, he met a pretty girl and that was that.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    I stayed with Tim for two nights. Mowed his grass, fed the live stock, gathered eggs, and helped around the rest of his properties. My final night, we had a huge BBQ with his wife Julie. It was fantastic! NTM his famous homemade pickled eggs..

He talked about putting the store on the market back in July, glad to see him move on - I think he's ready. Competition will do this to ya..

FWIW, the building is magnificant. Some creative, young purchasers could make the place competitive amongst others in town..
    Seems like you have enjoyed a lot. I also wanted to live somewhere else with group of unknown friends but thy times passed.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was there in '02 when Tim first opened that store, never forget that guy. He and his wife both put me to work moving a wood pile, fed me good and referred me to another man who put me to work as well. I camped at Shaw's and that is where I met Blind Bill Irwin who wrote the book Blind Courage. I'll never forget Bill and Tim, nor Keith Shaw.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

still on the market?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Then that makes even more sense. He told me when his enlistment was up with the Navy (?), he had to check a box for what city he wanted his discharge to be in. He selected "Augusta" thinking it was Augusta, Georgia. FAIL. LOL. But upon his discharge in Augusta, Maine, he met a pretty girl and that was that.

RainMan.
    A lot of southerners got stuck in RI that way. In the Navy at the Newport/Quonset naval bases...met a RI gal (who don't want to be far away from their mommas)...and got transplanted to RI!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++