WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Lyme Disease is nasty business, be careful, we have a hugh problem with it here in the Upper Midwest as well.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I've seen regular-sized ticks, both unfed and after feeding. And I've seen those incredibly small deer ticks (Nymphs), but I've never seen a Nymph that has fed, so kind of curious how much size feeding would add to those little suckers.
    Here is a link to show how big ticks get. http://www.portlandmaine.gov/hhs/tickknowyourenemy.pdf I have found them on my dog (long haired spaniel) the size of a pea when fully engourged with blood.

This may be dumb, but can't you put flea and tick collars around your legs? Would that stop them?

Maybe some of 'em. Ticks climb to the top of vegetation and catch a rides as you brush against it. The collars contain poision which probably wouldn't be a good idea against bare skin.

This was a popular thing amoung grunts in the army.

I live in a "red" zone and am in the great outdoors all the time...never got Lymes but my friend did back before they knew about it here (early 80s). She was sick for 2 years before they knew what it was and she almost died. Now she has a pacemaker because it ruined the nerve bundle that controls heartrate...also had to have surgery on both knees and a plate put in her neck...it also totally ruined her balance function. If she can't see, she can't stay upright...all from a tiny little tick. Be safe and check yourself many times a day...these little buggers can be fast to find a place to latch on!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

That map is ridiculous. DO NOT trust it. Lyme diease is very high in Shenandoah NP and northern VA. There are signs aobut it everywhere. I got a deer tick this Jan climbing Old Rag. I'd take BIG precautions from Waynesboro on up.

In fact they are doing a big study on it here at UVA. Its huge news around here.
    Last edited by Blissful; 02-04-2012 at 13:20.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    THANKS! That was 5 minutes well spent!

Lymes is very ugly in PA. My son still has Bell's Palsy from a tick bite back in March. Sure wish they'd spray or find something we could use to kill the little suckers!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Plum Island Conspiracy theory

Plum Island Conspiracy theory -Jessy Ventura
    http://www.infowars.com/plum-island-...n-2-episode-1/

For readers that don't know - Plum Island, Southold, NY is ground zero for military disease research going back to WW2! and if you compare Plum Island on Google Map to where Lyme was first discovered - Lyme Connecticut and they are a few miles apart.

Watch the video for what happened to Jessy!

Coincidence?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Plum Island Conspiracy theory -Jessy Ventura
    Coincidence?
    No, Sensationalism.

Journal Entries
    Images

Discussion on ticks in this video....

I don't buy into all this - FYI after looking at all the "Mauntauk Monster" - it's bloated and the front of face around the top incisors was soft and the first to go. fish ate at it and pealed back the snout to reveal the bone making the beak like protuberance that is in the photo - the front top incisors are now missing.... I have seen several different photos and one cannot judge this to be a dog? or Raccoon?

A lot of BS, IMO - but I find that Plum - Tick - Lyme thing very astute.

Any animal infected with something on Plum - bitten by a tick that found its way off the island (short hop) and given 50 years to progress would exsplain Lyme...
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-05-2012 at 10:39.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Is it possible? Yes. But nature is very capable of producing diseases such as this and it does so all the time; diseases evolve very quickly, that's just the ugly part of nature we humans have been somewhat separated from, thanks to science, technology and a very healthy environment provided by society.

My whole turn-off on this is that show, Conspriacy Theory w/ JV. I firmly believe that we vote not just in the ballot box, but with our wallets and when you watch shows like that you are voting with your wallet, i.e. you are giving them money. I won't give them any of my money. These people will distort things, in a sensational way, just for the profit.

I don't know if the link to the documentary works for you guys, I couldn't make it work, but I just Googled the title and watched the documentary on YouTube. Very interesting and paranoid making, but also good motivation to check yourself regularly and perhaps recognize if you've gotten infected and make sure you get treated early. The article by Badger is good, too.

http://zrdavis.com/lyme-disease-on-t...lachian-trail/
    "Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Images

and al gore was wrong about global warming, oh wait climate change..if the facts are there then we need to accept them....if they ran the tick experiment outdoors on plum island as the govt document points out then there is a strong possibility that some of the infected ticks hitched a ride on some birds over to the mainland. the map backs up the tick population and the spreading over the past yrs. the heavily infected area is new york, ct and surrounding areas. it takes time for pathogens and viruses to spread. just like when americans went west, it takes time to populate an area..sure lyme is all over but if it originated from plum island then it will take more time for the population to boom in other areas.....IMHO, LOL........I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG, ITS JUST A THEORY....

Great link to the info on deer ticks and lymes. I was just planning on cruising through and not worrying. Now I probably will try to wear long sleeves and pants all tucked in. I still don't want to use bug spray though so pass on that. I'm also not cutting my hair, hopefully that won't hinder my ability to find the ticks. I never have had too many on my head though so I wonder if they're less likely there?

Also the presentation said it usually takes 36 hours to transmit.

Images

Here is the best Tick Removal Tool I have ever used. http://www.otom.com/otom-tick-twister-hook Very easy to use and weighs nothing.

I got Lyme Disease last June in Shenandoah Park and it wrecked my summer. It's nasty stuff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Several AT hikers the past two years felt they contracted Lyme's Disease in Shenandoah NP. The deer tick map from the OP really doesn't say northern VA is affected, but hikers think otherwise.
    +1 on this. I'm fairly certain I contracted my case in N VA.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Check the article on tick tubes, page 5. Lyme prevention begins at home:
    http://www.patc.net/PublicView/Custo...arch_2012.aspx

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey guys - I agree horrible sensationalism - but wow the island is less than 5 miles from the town.... well we are allow to think for ourselves.. FYI - a friend of mine put me on to this.... I am not a believer but have seen first hand evidence of 1950 crap in monkey testing on viruses local to Chester County,.

Woo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++