WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Question Ever Cried On The Trail ?

I know hikers don't cry but I almost did when I was solo on the A.T. in the winter and I got lost right before sunset with no water. I went 19 hours no food or water. I had food but no water to cook with. I found the trail the next day luckily. What about you?

Part 13 though 15 is when I am lost.

Images

I cried one time when I saw a double rainbow,, and said to myself... "what does it mean, what does it mean" lol

Seriously tho,,, no,,, no crying. Although I'm quite sad each time my section hikes come to an end and I have to get back to reality.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

Nah, if I ever get into a bad situation like that I'll just start laughing hysterically. I remember last year when I got lost during the middle of a hike without a flashlight and night closing in. I was just giggling away kookily.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    I cried one time when I saw a double rainbow,, and said to myself... "what does it mean, what does it mean" lol

Seriously tho,,, no,,, no crying. Although I'm quite sad each time my section hikes come to an end and I have to get back to reality.
    Now that was funny!!

No - but I know I'm capable of it, because I cried one day on my cross-country bike ride. Light headwinds were forecast and I spent an entire morning pedaling into 20-30 mile winds, fighting like hell just to keep the bike on the road. I wound up stopping in a small farming town shortly after noon and riding around crying until I was ready to face the public. Stopped at the local watering hole and had the only drink I ordered the entire bike ride during the day, then gave up at just read in my tent the rest of the day. I distinctly remember that when I got to Fargo, I wanted to find the television station there and go scream at the weatherman for that forecast. I had headwinds ALL the way across N. Dakota going West to East, but that was the worst day of the ride.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

I did a 60 mile ride the other day and all but the first 7 miles were a headwind. The winds were fluctuating between W and WNW to NW; it seemed to be following me, so I decide to take a 10 mile detour into a direct headwind just to get a 5 mile tailwind (heading directly east). As soon as I turned on that road I was hit in the face with an ENE wind, confirmed by leaves blowing directly in my face. I wanted so bad to take that bike and just throw it into the traffic of cars. I was freakin' pissed and cursing....I wanted to cry

That's why hills are better than wind; much more predictable

Images

Ive laughed so hard Ive cried! Does that count?

i spilled some single malt once...

Images

There's no crying in hiking.

That said, sometimes my knees are crying though.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

There's no crying in baseball!

Journal Entries
    Images

During my first thru attempt I got to Fontana Dam. I was experiencing a lot of pain in my knees. I took three "0" days hopeing the rest would help. I put my pack on and started again. After crossing the dam and starting the climb up Shukstack the pain was worse than before. I sat down to regroup. Should I continue into the Smokies with limited places to bail or should I tough it out. My desision was to give up my hike and return home. At that point I cried. I loved what I was doing and didn't want to quit.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    What the heck do you suppose they were on? Depressants? Anti-psychotics? I know it wasn't Lithium. Lithium will make you laugh like hell. It'll make you laugh at the wind. And no this is not the voice of experience, just observation. lolololollololol
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
    I know hikers don't cry but I almost did when I was solo on the A.T. in the winter and I got lost right before sunset with no water. I went 19 hours no food or water. I had food but no water to cook with. I found the trail the next day luckily. What about you?
    Only about stuff back home. I got real cranky in the Hundred Mile Wilderness when I didn't get enough calories, though, every little thing seemed to set me off. That's pretty common, though, and, if I had had a reason, I might've cried then.

I often go to the trail to work things out - my dad's death, my wife's cancer, my former pastor's death, etc. These things may make anyone, anywhere, cry.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Looks like these people spent a lot of time crying (jump to the :55 second mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Jvf...1&feature=plcp
    Everything is easy until you do it.

that's funny

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++