WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

When both of my knees went out at 11,000 feet in the air, and I collapsed on a rock on the side of the John Muir Trail where I knew I was two full days away from the nearest highway, I got very frustrated. Maybe I cried... I know I cried out in frustration. I would have earned the right to cry after busting my @ss on the JMT and thinking I might not be able to complete the challenge.

BUT, I didn't mash the "SOS" button on my SPOT GPS. I just sat there for a bit, took in the scenery, thought about all the people back home who believed in me, and then (miracle or not), I was able to stand up and make it over the pass... and I completed the JMT! And then I wept with joy.

If I get frustrated on my AT thru-hike this year, you might hear me in my tent, but if that is what it takes to scrub away the frustration and negative emotion, so I don't quit, then I will cry when I need to... like Holly Hunter in "Broadcast News"!

Ross
    (and yes, they call me DirtyGirl)
    - - - - -

DirtyGirl
    2012 NoBo AT Thru-Hiker
    (and an incredibly proud 2011 SoBo JMT Thru-Hiker... I did it!!)

Ross Hayduk
    San Francisco, CA

www.hikerosshike.org

Journal Entries
    Images

I've never cried on the trail, but blubbered like a baby when I had to put my old dog Lucky to sleep. Still brings a tear to my eye when I think about it.

Images

On the JMT this yeaer I witnessed a 20 something female fall in bear creek (flood year from snow). I was putting my shoes one and didnt get there fast enough to do any good. She lost some of her gear and still had over 100 miles left. The water was ice cold. Once she was safe one the banks she lost it.

A few days later I made fun of her. Then Karma got me. Later that day I steped off a log at a stream crossing in to mud. The mud wasnt mud. The mud was just gunk floathing on water. I fell in to head deep water. Right in front of like ten people. More people then I had seen in the past 3 days. I was covered in mud and gunk by the time I got out. We all had a good laugh. Some how my down and electronics stayed dry.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Wow, yall are tough! After reading yall's posts, I guess I cried a lot!

- climbing out of Bly Gap (1st cry on the trail)
    - in a nasty, cold rain coming off Roan Mountain. I thought my fingers were going to freeze off
    - when we ran out of water outside of Port Clinton, PA
    - After my 3rd day of giardia in CT
    - Hitting Andover, ME after some rugged mountains and realizing that although we were in Maine we still had over 200 miles to go (mentally I was done)
    - hiking across the tableland and seeing that wonderful sight of the Katahdin sign after 2,175 miles!

All the blood, sweat and TEARS was worth it. What I would give to go back and do it all over again
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep. And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

climbing out of Bly Gap (1st cry on the trail) I was scared at Bly gap in Feb 2011 it was half rain, half ice, too cold to snow, and nowhere to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
    I know hikers don't cry but I almost did when I was solo on the A.T. in the winter and I got lost right before sunset with no water. I went 19 hours no food or water. I had food but no water to cook with. I found the trail the next day luckily. What about you?
    In 2000, when I reached Mt. Washington, the weather was terrible and the trail was closed across The Presiidentials. I was completely worn out and had no choice but to take the taxi down and try again the next day. I called my wife from the snack shop and cried like a baby. Yes, a baby.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderheart View Post
    In 2000, when I reached Mt. Washington, the weather was terrible and the trail was closed across The Presiidentials. I was completely worn out and had no choice but to take the taxi down and try again the next day. I called my wife from the snack shop and cried like a baby. Yes, a baby.
    Bro, As your chosen name ( not the one that your parents gave to you) is Tenderheart .You have every right to post here about crying on trails.

People with tough trail (or Whiteblaze) names need to be as honest as you. There is a beauty in crying .It is a quick and honest release of emotions while some people bottle it up not knowing a few drops can work like a miracle from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee10 View Post
    ...I cry still to the day knowing I failed at 1835 miles for a love that left me shortly after I got home.
    We all fail sometimes...school, work, love, hiking and more; it's human. However, the trail is still there and hopefully your misfortune will propel you to completing it as you intended.

I cried again. This time at Fontana Dam with a Rainbow coming off the lake into the Smokie's ! Even got it on video.

Crying just another good reason to try and stay hydrated.

You can do anything that you believe you can!
    Images

Yes, cried on the trail last Saturday! I solo-sectioned Springer to Hog Pen Gap, 3/6 to 3/10, and cried like a baby when I got to my truck because I didn't want to go home. Work sucks. I'll be back to continue on though on the 24th!!!! (not like I'm counting the minutes or anything!!!!)

Crying in the Rain
    written by Howard Greenfield (1936-1986).
    Made famous by the Everly Brothers;

I’ll never let you see
    The way my broken heart is hurting me.
    I’ve got my pride,
    And I know how to hide
    All my sorrow and pain:
    I’ll do my crying in the rain.

If I wait for cloudy skies,
    You won’t know the rain from the tears in my eyes.
    You’ll never know
    That I still love you so.
    Though the heartaches remain,

Raindrops falling from heaven
    Could never wash away my misery,
    But since we’re not together
    I’ll look for stormy weather
    To hide these tears I hope you’ll never see.

Someday when my crying’s done,
    I’m gonna wear a smile and walk in the sun.
    I may be a fool,
    But till then, darling, you’ll
    Never see me complain:

Most of us are more Familiar w/ this one JAK.
    "Crying In The Rain" By Whitesnake

A black cat moans
    When he's burning with the fever
    A stray dog howls
    When he's lonely in the night
    A woman goes crazy
    With the though of retribution
    But, a man starts weeping
    When he's sick and tired of life

I keep on dreaming dreams of tomorrow
    Feel I'm wasting my time
    Lighting candles in the wind,
    Always taking my chances
    On the promise of the future
    But, a heart full of sorrow
    Paints a lonely tapestry

The sun is shining
    But, it's raining in my heart

No one understands the heartache,
    No one feels the pain,
    'Cos no one ever sees the tears
    When you're crying in the rain,
    When you're crying in the rain,
    Crying in the rain...

I can never deny
    All the sweet things I have tasted
    Tho' I've been mistreated
    I keep coming back for more,
    I know where I'm going
    There's no hope of absolution
    I can't seem to separate
    The good times from the bad

The sun is shining
    But, it's raining in my heart

The first time I ever saw a black bear... no not immediately, but I saw 13 in less than 2 days and I was all alone. Now I'm not saying I was scared of all of them but 1 in particular scared the **** out of me. I came into a moment where I was just like "I just want to keep hiking and I have to keep stopping and waiting for all these bears to leave!" So it was a combination of frustration and a little scaredness crying.

Anyway, I've since learned that black bears are kind of a joke and more like a deer than a death machine. Now I'm totally not scared of them.
    "Mountains desire to be conquered"
    Me, unless anyone else has said it?

If you're interested in my hike my website is http://www.thruperspective.com/

I cried yesterday when I weighed my pack. Seriously, I didn't used to cry but last Feb my father died. I since have become pretty good at it. I imagine that IF I climb Katahdin, I will probably cry. I hope so at least. I agree with the macho bunch though and think that crying on the trail should be kept to an absolute minimum. Crying makes you appear weak and may induce a bear attack.

Never did much crying but I sure did some powerful cussing, usually after slipping on a bog bridge.

Last time I remember was 12 Sept. 2003, Gorham, NH. Someone had just told me that Johnny Cash died.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Last time I remember was 12 Sept. 2003, Gorham, NH. Someone had just told me that Johnny Cash died.
    I still cry over that.

I fell off a cliff at the Nolichucky River. I now have 3 permanent scars. Didn't cry but I was scared. I thought I broke my leg.

Journal Entries
    Images

november rain by GNR makes me cry

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++