WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: The Long Walk

Images

Default The Long Walk

I’m reading The Long Walk by Bachman/King, sort of appropriate for what I’m about to do, and was thinking it would make a great contest. Removing the death part, adding some rules to make it more civilized, and making it an elimination endurance contest. Say 1,000 contestants pay $100 each to enter and the last one walking gets the cash.

For those of you who never read the book- 100 contestants enter a walking contest where if you drop below 4mph you are warned, if you go below 4mph you are warned again. You get 3 warnings on the 4th time you drop below 4mph you are shot dead. If you walk an hour without getting a warning you loose a warning. The last one walking wins the prize. (Basically whatever you want.)

How long do you think you could walk?

Images

I'd be dead pretty quick. 4mph is like running for me.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Assuming that one has to walk or hike -- running or jogging is not permitted -- i can dayhike at a 15 min mile pace for 5 miles. (1 hr 15 minutes.) After that I slow down.

Journal Entries

About 60% of the finishers in the Western States 100 average less than 4mph, so Id agree yes its essentially running, and few people could make it very far at that pace.

Images

This depends on the terrain - are we talking walking down a road - no problem. When I'm in really good trail shape, I can do 20 miles in 5 hours on most of the AT - especially where the trail is a little "soft" - (i.e. Shenandoah). I can also run a 4 hour marathon (give or take 10 minutes) it is not really realistic for me to hold that pace for more than a 20 mile day on harder parts of the AT - especially somewhere like Southern Maine or big / down parts of the trail in parts of NC and TN - there, I'd guess I'd be dodging bullets.

Images

"The death part" was what made the story so good.

If it were 4mph or die I think I would not give up very easily, you know the whole self-preservation thing.Take away the gun and its all about the money, well then your greed has to overcome your pain. I would probably just trip others until I was the last one standing. Call it the Mad Max strategy.

Images

if its walk 4 mph or die, I'd never drop below the 4. Period. I have small kids- I'd walk however fast it took me to stay alive. Sounds like a good book!

I read that book years ago and often think of it during my runs and uphill walks.

I used to be able to maintain a 4mph pace but I doubt it anymore.
    Maybe for 4 or 5 miles at best.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I spent 2 days in a tent outside Erwin reading that book..

++ New Posts ++