Hi, I'm scheduled for bilateral knee replacement in a month, and I'm wondering if anyone has done the AT on two artificial knees.

Some exposition for my story.... I was born knock-kneed, and over the years the condition got worse. It wasn't helped by super-obesity. When I topped 400 pounds six years ago I said "Enough" and lost 160 pounds over the next 16 months. I rediscovered the outdoors, took up hiking, taught myself to ride a bicycle (I'd never learned as a child), and rode a century ten months after learning to balance.

Life has been a continuous discovery after the weight loss, but my legs have been the weak link. My hiking was limited to six miles at a time, tops, and I felt like I'd been run over. My right leg is so knocked I've had people gasp when they see it. In this photo, I'm the guy on the left:

One side benefit of knee replacement is that it should fix the valgus. So, once I'm through the months of rehab and relearning how to walk, I'll be able to hike longer than I have. Having a big goal to shoot for is important to me, hence my question about anyone with a bilateral knee replacement hiking the AT. While I can't say that would be my goal, I will say that if it came down to choosing between cycling and hiking, the bikes would be on Craigslist in a minute.

Sorry to go on like this. I thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give.