WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default A "Camp Shoe" option

Been looking for a lighter alternative to Crocs. Started looking at the barefoot/minimalist segment, and bought a pair of VivoBarefoot Ultras on sale at Amazon. Here's what I posted on 'em: www.laughingdog.com

DSCF0748-1.jpg
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

I see Crocs (and Waldies) as an alternative to shower shoes. They work because they don't have a mesh liner that traps filth. Unfortunately it looks like the VivoBarefoot shoes do have that liner. It'd be much more appealing if it didn't. As you noted, a pair of flip flops could be carried, but I'd rather not deal with the bulk. Weight AND bulk matter to me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I see Crocs (and Waldies) as an alternative to shower shoes. They work because they don't have a mesh liner that traps filth. Unfortunately it looks like the VivoBarefoot shoes do have that liner. It'd be much more appealing if it didn't. As you noted, a pair of flip flops could be carried, but I'd rather not deal with the bulk. Weight AND bulk matter to me.
    Those inserts are removable, and they make a big difference in fit. I removed them, and the Ultras fit me really well. Once the liners come out, there is a hexagon hole on the back of each heel. I passed a loop of cord thru each hole, clipped the loops to a small s-biner and clipped it to the back of my circuit with the toes tucked under the compression bungies.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Those look neat. I'm not sure I would have a use for them though.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Just recieved a pair of the vivo's. They are insanely light and very comfortable. Goodbye Crocs.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Hey guys, it's really helpful if you post a link to the product you're touting along with weight and cost.

I didn't see any mention of this at laughingdog.com, so I did my own search. Zappo's lists the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure at 4 ounces (probably per shoe for a men's size 9), which shaves 3-4 ounces off of strapped Crocs. Cost of $50, which is substantially higher than Crocs, but saving another quarter-pound would make it worth it to me. Of course, you won't get as much padding (these are barefoot shoes after all), but they might be ideal around camp and perfect for the Maine stream fords that are coming up for me.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Hey guys, it's really helpful if you post a link to the product you're touting along with weight and cost.

I didn't see any mention of this at laughingdog.com, so I did my own search. Zappo's lists the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure at 4 ounces (probably per shoe for a men's size 9), which shaves 3-4 ounces off of strapped Crocs. Cost of $50, which is substantially higher than Crocs, but saving another quarter-pound would make it worth it to me. Of course, you won't get as much padding (these are barefoot shoes after all), but they might be ideal around camp and perfect for the Maine stream fords that are coming up for me.
    Thank you for the link - yes very helpful as I wish to get right to the information when possible.
    I found them at EMS which lists 11 ounces for the pair.
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...ase:PS12715317

I just got a pair of these as well. great, superlight shoe. They run a bit small with the insert, just about right to too large with it removed. Choose accordingly depending on how you plan to wear them. The laces (shock cord) cinch up quite well so even if large they easily snug up and you can also leave out the insert and wear a light sock or liner instead.

For trail runner use the insert has a bit of puncture resistant material built in. With it removed the sole is less resistant to puncture and is pretty thin. The inside has little bumps like Crocs but more pronounced. Really feels good on tired feet. The entire shoe and insert are easily washable to keep things fresh.

My size 47 (14) weigh in at 9.2oz the pair with the insert removed and the tongue installed. With the inserts in (they have a built in tongue the pair weight 13oz. People with normal sized feet will get off a bit lighter on their pairs. I nromally wear a 13 and am borderline medium to wide and the size 47 (14) is fine. The insert puts a little pressure on my toes but with it removed there is plenty of room to the end of the shoe itself.

These are sold as Ultra and Ultra Pure. The Ultra sells online for around $79 or so and comes with the insert and a tongue. The Ultra Pure does not come with the insert and only has a tongue. They sell for $50. A few colors are discounted and some places offer free shipping or discount codes.

Not cheap by any means but a pretty good shoe for casual wear around town or in the water. Maybe a bit pricey for just a camp shoe.

Willy,

Been following your blog for a while. Really sorry to see the injury is sending you home. Lets hope it is short lived and you can start again. Take care of yourself....the trail will be there.

Tony

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Tony. On my way home to see my ortho guy... If not a sobo flip flop, I'll start over next year.

http://bit.ly/LDawg
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Saucony Hattori are around 4 ounces per shoe.

good read, thanks! I'm currently a crocs camp shoe user and this has opened my mind to other options. I'm a hiker that needs to wear a camp shoe after hiking all day in trail shoes, part of my R&R process.

Images

got the vivobarefoot ultra pure couple of weeks ago. love em

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    got the vivobarefoot ultra pure couple of weeks ago. love em
    I picked up a pair of the Vivobarefoot ultra pure's as well. They are great camp shoes. Light, comfortable, more protective that flip-flops. I found them to be wonderful on Fords in Maine. Expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Images

I've had a pair of Vivobarefoot ultra pure shoes for about 6 weeks.
    Used them on my last backpacking trip.
    They are super light.

Easy to step into when getting out of a hammoch for a night time whiz.

You could almost step on a dime and determine if it's heads or tails.
    Comfortable around camp, but be careful of sharp rocks on a gravel road.

I went pure minimalist and took the tongue out of mine.

Journal Entries
    Images

I bought a pair of simple, thin water shoes for $5. I took out the insoles. They weigh less than crocs. The longest I've hiked in my flimsy water shoes was 20 miles. The terrain has to be right.
    David Smolinski

Journal Entries
    Images

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-13-2012 at 23:04. Reason: nevermind pasty failure.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl:1323806
    Those are sweat! I'm I in the minority that just walks around barefoot? I do around the yard and in camp.

Default A "Camp Shoe" option

I'm having Joe of Zpack fame make me a pair of shoe covers from cuben fiber the weight he uses for a ground sheet
    They will be similar to the ones surgeons use but not disposable paper
    Will be less than an ounce and $30
    Easy to get on/off, waterproof (taped seams)
    What do you think?

++ New Posts ++