WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default lightweight camp sandals!

I've been doin a lot of research on comfortable camp shoes that I can wear into town as well. Found these and wanted to share:

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/mens-training-duramo-slides/MH396?cid=G40561&breadcrumb=1z13y9uZ1z13y9nZsv

f
    or anyone who ever played soccer, you are probably familiar with the adilette. This is a very similar shoe, but is a one piece (easy to clean) and after some research found they only weigh in at 4.4oz (I am guessing PER SHOE). That still adds up to only 8.8 for the pair, which is a bit lighter than crocs and a hell of a lot better looking IMO for a town shoe. They are a very comfy slide sandal, won't take up a lot of room - however they would probably be worthless as a "stream crosser" - may be better off going barefoot that route. Just thought it would be worth sharing, cheers!

Not bad, though still fairly heavy. I use these...

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

...which weigh in at 1.5 ounces for the pair.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

If you're not wearing heavy boots, there should be no need for camp shoes. If your hiking shoes are wet, just change your socks. Won't the socks get wet? Not if they're Sealskinz or similar.
    My Sealskinz weigh 4-3/8 oz. (pair, size XL), are multipurpose, and can be packed inside my pack.
    If your low top hikers or trail runners are uncomfortable at the end of the day, you're wearing the wrong shoe.

Walking down to the water source in flimsy (I know, they aren't ALL flimsy) camp shoes can be an interesting proposition when the ground is slippery from snow or mud.

The link: http://www.sealskinz.com/socks
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-26-2012 at 16:28.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    If you're not wearing heavy boots, there should be no need for camp shoes. If your hiking shoes are wet, just change your socks. Won't the socks get wet? Not if they're Sealskinz or similar.
    My Sealskinz weigh 4-3/8 oz. (pair, size XL), are multipurpose, and can be packed inside my pack.
    If your low top hikers or trail runners are uncomfortable at the end of the day, you're wearing the wrong shoe.

Walking down to the water source in flimsy (I know, they aren't ALL flimsy) camp shoes can be an interesting proposition when the ground is slippery from snow or mud.

The link: http://www.sealskinz.com/socks
    And if I'm really being a gram weenie, I'll leave the sealskinz home and just bring a couple newspaper plastic bags to put on, either under wet socks and shoes, or between dry socks and wet shoes.

I know that works for some people, but I think I'll carry the extra 1.5 ounces to have something dry and airy to put my feet in at the end of the day. Seriously, I just don't think it's healthy for your feet to be locked up inside the same shoes all day and then at camp, especially if they're wet. Even with the plastic bags/sealskins, then you're just locking the water vapors in. It's just better to let them air out for a bit.

Those ul camp shoes of yours will twist around your feet on sidehills. You do have sidehills where you hike, don't you?

In a shelter, or right at the campsite, they will be fine. Just don't try to walk on uneven, slippery ground with them. They'll be like Yaktrax on the AT in ice.

Everything has a purpose, I just like to make sure that everything that I carry has more than one. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible (what else can I do with the simmer ring for my Supercat stove? Hmmmmmmmm ).

No funny remarks - I know what you all are thinking.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Not bad, though still fairly heavy. I use these...

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

...which weigh in at 1.5 ounces for the pair.
    A couple of serious questions. Have you used these for a full thru? How's the traction?

Is this a viable suggestion for everyone, or are there limitations to your choice?

Fair enough?

I know that works for some people, but I think I'll carry the extra 1.5 ounces to have something dry and airy to put my feet in at the end of the day. Seriously, I just don't think it's healthy for your feet to be locked up inside the same shoes all day and then at camp, especially if they're wet. Even with the plastic bags/sealskins, then you're just locking the water vapors in. It's just better to let them air out for a bit.
    Good point - I agree with this statement and have given it plenty of thought. My curent answer is that, if I hike until later in the day, then I'm only worried about a couple hours around camp before I'm in bed and my feet are drying out for 8-10 hours.

Those ul camp shoes of yours will twist around your feet on sidehills. You do have sidehills where you hike, don't you?

In a shelter, or right at the campsite, they will be fine. Just don't try to walk on uneven, slippery ground with them. They'll be like Yaktrax on the AT in ice.
    They actually work very well while walking. I used them for fording rivers, and walking to all water sources once in camp, with no issues at all. I even hiked a bit after a ford a few times in them because I knew another ford was coming up shortly and didn't feel like switching back into my shoes just to switch out of them again, and they worked fine. No twisting around the foot at all. I was surprised too.

A couple of serious questions. Have you used these for a full thru? How's the traction?

Is this a viable suggestion for everyone, or are there limitations to your choice?

Fair enough?
    I used a single pair during my 1000 mile attempt of a PCT thru. That one pair made it that 1000 miles and likely would have made it much further. They were surprisingly sturdy.

Traction was good. Not hiking boot good on dry ground, but good. Traction for river fording was excellent. I swear the traction improved when wet. Makes sense I guess as they are pool shoes.

Downsides to them are that you really have to watch out not to stub your toe. They will do nothing to protect your foot if you do. Also, if you step in a puddle, even a tiny one, your foot will likely get wet. Not a problem if it's warm and you're not wearing socks, but a PITA if it's cooler and you are. They worked great on the PCT because of these reasons, but AT conditions takes a little more care. Still, I've been using them for years now along the AT up here, with no major issues.

Thanks for your clarification and for being straight-up on your experience with them. Lots of folks like to overrate their personal choices. In my posts, I try to be objective.

For sure.

And like I said, the single pair of shoes things work for a lot of other people. I'm just not one of those people, at least on a longer trip. If I'm out for more than 2 or 3 days, I like to let my feet get as much air as possible.

Images

Ender those look pretty sweet. I actually grabbed a pair of these http://warmstuff.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=218 originally as a "camp shoe" but after considering how wet my socks would prob get walking around in the dew in those... I'm looking elsewhere. Your choice seems to solve some of that problem with the sturdier "textured base" sole. I know its hugely frowned upon to pick a piece of gear for aesthetic value, but as far multipurpose goes here was my equation:
    comfort at campsite
    can wear in showers that are less than "clean" during town stops
    look like an every day sandal for wearing in town

cons: zero traction, busting ass on my way to the creek.

Tinker, I will be thinking of you when I'm picking my muddy self up off of the stream bank. Cheers!

They actually work very well while walking. I used them for fording rivers, and walking to all water sources once in camp, with no issues at all. I even hiked a bit after a ford a few times in them because I knew another ford was coming up shortly and didn't feel like switching back into my shoes just to switch out of them again, and they worked fine. No twisting around the foot at all. I was surprised too.

I used a single pair during my 1000 mile attempt of a PCT thru. That one pair made it that 1000 miles and likely would have made it much further. They were surprisingly sturdy.

Traction was good. Not hiking boot good on dry ground, but good. Traction for river fording was excellent. I swear the traction improved when wet. Makes sense I guess as they are pool shoes.

Downsides to them are that you really have to watch out not to stub your toe. They will do nothing to protect your foot if you do. Also, if you step in a puddle, even a tiny one, your foot will likely get wet. Not a problem if it's warm and you're not wearing socks, but a PITA if it's cooler and you are. They worked great on the PCT because of these reasons, but AT conditions takes a little more care. Still, I've been using them for years now along the AT up here, with no major issues.
    +1 on using these for stream crossings and in camp. Have not found lighter options. Agree with all Ender has said.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

So I just learned that the sandals that I suggested are being phased out, and size large is no longer available. I did find another similar sandal by a different manufacturer, though I can't speak to the fit, traction, or durability of them.
    http://www.allswim.com/product-p/125500.htm

At $5.50 a pop though, I'll likely get a pair at some point to test them out.

Hike in Chaco's and use light Tennies around camp.

Change socks after a rain and your feet will be dry.

Use a bag or waterproof shell over socks for bad weather.

The soles are as thick as boots and you will never have happier feet!

Images

Weight Allswim?????

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Weight Allswim?????
    Unknown. I just found that link as an alternative, since the Sprint Aquatics brand is being discontinued. They look very similar to the SA ones though, so weight could be about the same. But until someone gets a pair in hand and weighs it, there's no way to know for sure.

Hiking in Chacos kill my feet.

Ender - what size shoe do you wear? I wear a 10 (usually) and wonder if I should take a chance on the mediums before these are no longer available....

Images

The good thing about these slides that rowan mentioned is that they can be worn in camp, with or without socks, in public showers, or even while hiking smooth bits of trail. The bad part is that they're bulky. I would prefer a slide that is thinner, perhaps without the molded sole and with an elastic fabric loop.

Quote Originally Posted by dalemc View Post
    Hiking in Chacos kill my feet.

Ender - what size shoe do you wear? I wear a 10 (usually) and wonder if I should take a chance on the mediums before these are no longer available....
    I'm a 10.5-11.5, depending on the make. Typically I just buy an 11 and that usually works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++