WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: dry feet

Default dry feet

Sealskinz or gortex socks?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Neither - your feet will be soaked with sweat, especially with the Sealskinz. Best bet is decent shoes and spare socks. On nice days, you'll be dry enough; on wet days your footwear will eventually soak through. There's a a basic relationship: the longer your footwear will keep your feet dry, the longer it will take to dry out when it eventually soaks through (and it will soak through!). The less time a shoe keeps your feet dry, the quicker the shoe dries. Take your pick.

Images

I dunno. I've used sealskinz on the PCT a bit and on the FT and they do a pretty good job as long as you don't wade through water deeper than they are. In cold spring rain they'll keep your feet dry. If its warm out I think your feet will sweat.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Hike smarter, not harder.

Coat your feet with Hydropel, then make sure you have dry socks for bedtime.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Will Hydropel help with the heat rash I get from my ankle braces? It only happens in the heat of the summer but the neoprene parts really make my feet and ankles a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    THIS.....lock the thread.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by dalemc View Post
    Sealskinz or gortex socks?
    Either one for a day or two. I've never used Sealskinz with socks, only by themselves, and never in hot weather, which would make my feet sweat like crazy.

For a thruhike? No. I've already decided that it would be a waste of carried weight, especially if the trail stays wet for a week or more.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I wore my sealskinz for one day of hiking - my feet stank for days, the socks for weeks . I think they're great for hunting or for short-term use in real wet conditions, but not for all day hiking.

Some gortex boots just plain dont work, so it depends, I have a pair of gortex scarpa that are great and I dont sweat anymore than any other shoes.

Sealskins- you will sweat in these so I only use them when its wet out, then after it dries up they go back in my pack (or to dry on the outside rather). Id rather use them with my trail runners in wet conditions than have cold water soaked into my wool socks.

Ever try to dry out a pair of Sealskinz? lmfao

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Will Hydropel help with the heat rash I get from my ankle braces? It only happens in the heat of the summer but the neoprene parts really make my feet and ankles a big mess.
    I do know it'll help with monkey butt

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Ever try to dry out a pair of Sealskinz? lmfao
    Takes a while because they're double layered and each layer is coated on one side to be waterproof. The seams leak, though.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Dry feet are overrated, if not impossible. Wear wool socks, keep a dry pair for sleeping, and wear shoes that dry quickly.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Dry feet are overrated, if not impossible. Wear wool socks, keep a dry pair for sleeping, and wear shoes that dry quickly.
    This is pretty much an accurate statement -this is one reason I encourage trail SHOES because they dry pretty quickly - I think that it important for my feet to stay dry when it is below freezing - then, it is much easier though - slushy snow and mud mixtures are the most challenging - especially in my trail shoes. For seasonal backpacking, I have the most success just wearing dark colored smartwool socks. When they get wet, I remove them and wring them out - along with my insoles. The socks can be dried either in the sun (dark colors absorb more heat and dry faster), in the foot-box of your sleeping bag, or (perhaps) over a fire or stove (little wood burner?) - I carry very little in the way of "extras" but I do carry a pair of extra socks -- if it's snowy and muddy, I might even consider 2 pairs extra.

Thanks! I should have specified that I was after solutions for winter hiking (temps below freezing and maybe some snow).... trying to get away from boots in the winter but shoes and socks don't seem appropriate.

Images

For those conditions I like Goretex trail runners, wool socks, and waterproof/breathable tall gaiters. This combo works for me in the winter around here.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++