WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default San Juans south to Grant, NM, in October?

I'm planning on a CT SOBO thru in the fall and I'm trying to decide what to do when I reach Durango. I'm considering taking the narrow gauge train back up to Elk Park, picking up the CDT there and hiking south to Grants. Is this doable in October? What is the water availability typically like?

Maybe. My limited experience (first time in that area this past year) was of a ton of snow falling in early October in the south San Juans; this all started Oct 4th. I just squeaked through there into NM without too-o much trauma, but others had a tougher time.

I personally wouldn't be inclined to schedule something in the San Juans after September, but don't know what is "normal".

I don't recall any problems in getting water. The Ley maps give a pretty good read on water sources.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

October 1st is a rough cut off for the San Juans. Good chance you'll run into snow. Every year is different, naturally. In 2006, the first heavy snow falls that came and stuck around were mid-September. In 2007, the divide was dry until November!

Overall, though, you are pushing the envelope quite a bit in October in the San Juans.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Good to know. I can move the hike up a few weeks so I'll be clear of the San Juans by the end of September, that sounds like a better plan.

There is also the possibility that the train stops running sometime in early September. Check it out.

Their fall 2012 schedule shows they run through October 27th.

http://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us

So I should have no problems finding water in NM south to Grants in September/October?

++ New Posts ++