WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My thoughts about the TarpTent Notch

Hey guys, I just received my tent from Henry Shires, and Im really liking it.

I set it up for the first time and it was VERY easy with no hassle. I also like how the inner net is designed to clip (and stay clipped) to the rainfly (double wall) from the inside. This is really nice because when you are setting it up in the rain, the inside of the tent barely gets wet at all. You can also set it up with either the mesh inner, or outer. (really nice for clear nights).

The two doors are awesome with the two vestibules. I will be using one side to keep my gear, and the other for entry/exit. This is alot better than the front entry style tents cuz your stuff doesn't get in your way when exit.

The guylines are easily adjustable with light pulls, and they are very reflective.

It is nice that the tent, while only needing 4 stakes, is very sturdy. (bonus: stakes are included with package and total weight of the tent)

Tent peak height is also plenty (Im only 5'10"!)

If you are thinking about buying this tent but arent sure, I'd say its a great buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for your thoughts on this shelter. I've been eyeing it because of the weight, ease of set-up, dual-entry doors, and height. Will need to investigate a bit further, but it looks really good.

Just wondering. Did you seam seal the tent or have it done at the factory.

Thanks.

I think it's the best design TT has going

I've had two TT in the past and got rid of them but a Notch is probably in my future.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I think it's the best design TT has going
    Agree. I love mine!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Hey I've come to learn the storm flap over the zippers does not cover the zipper adequately...I would be keen to hear if anyone has experienced dripping from the zipper? I love the tent but have concerns over this, anyone have it out in strong rain?

I'm always wary of a tent review which has nothing negative to say since no tent is perfect and if used long enough reasonable criticisms can be made. Get back to us in two years after 400 nights in all weather and then we'll talk.

I recently spent a night in the Notch in steady and sometimes heavy rain without any problems. I seam sealed the tent myself, including the zipper seams.

Yeah I'm more concerned with water coming through the actual zipper not the seams along the zipper...it will probably just run down the zipper and drip towards the bottom but wanted to ask those with some experience as I don't have any.

ScottC...Did you notice any water coming in through the zipper?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I'm always wary of a tent review which has nothing negative to say since no tent is perfect and if used long enough reasonable criticisms can be made. Get back to us in two years after 400 nights in all weather and then we'll talk.
    The tent is new, and initial reviews from most are extremely positive. But I'm sure once 400 nights are logged, some small issues may arise, but I doubt they'd be worth worrying about based on past TT performance. I doubt TT would ever be a choice of yours b/c you prefer the heavy bombproof style. Gotta have something BIG to fill up that MONSTROUS pack of yours.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Yeah I'm more concerned with water coming through the actual zipper not the seams along the zipper...it will probably just run down the zipper and drip towards the bottom but wanted to ask those with some experience as I don't have any.

ScottC...Did you notice any water coming in through the zipper?
    My Notch has seen moderate rain, and no dripping through the zipper. The other TT's I own (DR & Moment) are the same way, as far as flap over the zipper not snug, and have never seen leaks. I read many TT reviews over the years and never heard of that being an issue.

Looks like TarpTent had a bit of LightHeart envy.....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    don't follow ya,,, do explain.

Images

They aren't close in design. Look again.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    The tent is new, and initial reviews from most are extremely positive. But I'm sure once 400 nights are logged, some small issues may arise, but I doubt they'd be worth worrying about based on past TT performance. I doubt TT would ever be a choice of yours b/c you prefer the heavy bombproof style. Gotta have something BIG to fill up that MONSTROUS pack of yours.
    I'm most concerned with long term use in rainstorms with ground sheeting and lake effect in regards to the Notch's low denier floor and hydrostatic pressure. What is the floor denier number on the Notch?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    don't follow ya,,, do explain.
    With the attached double wall, add the PVC and you pretty much have the LightHeart Solo. 6 Moon copied it too. It's a good design.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

With the attached double wall, add the PVC and you pretty much have the LightHeart Solo. 6 Moon copied it too. It's a good design.
    There are distinct differences between all three designs. Look again.

It's like saying I added laces to my ski boots and they are pretty much the same as my loafers.

Gotta disagree as well...the Lightheart is a single piece that must be set up together, has a diamond floor pattern and does not have a drip free entry, nor does it use struts

The Notch is modular, the net tent is removable, the tarp can be used alone, it has a much more rectangular floor pattern and has a drip free entry with vertical poles, finally it uses struts

They are completely different in my view but both good designs. If you think the Lightheart is a great and original design you might want to thank Kurt Russell from Wanderlust Gear and google the 'Nomad'

When Henry sent me the first few sketches of the Moment one of my first comments was something like this :
    why not adapt that to a trekking pole supported shelter ?
    (the original floor plan of the Moment had two vestibules...)
    So it has nothing to do with any other tent, it just borrows all sorts of elements from previous TT shelters.
    Franco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++