WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Maddoxsjohnston's Avatar

:banana What's your Trail Name story?

To all readers:

How did you aquire your trail name, and what's it meaning?

I got mine in October of 2008. I was resting at Moutaineer Falls Shelter after a 20+ mile day, when a middle-aged man briskly walked into the shelter, put down his pack, and claimed he had found a Sasquatch track on the trail. Intrigued, I followed him to where he pointed out the footprint. He stated that this was solid proof, and snapped a few pictures. Chuckling, I placed my foot inside the track, and informed him that the Squatch was actually my size 16 foot. He was a tad embaressed, and tagged me as Bigfoot, calling me it throughout his shelter stay. And it stuck!

-Bigfoot

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ht=trail+names

Mine's in here somewhere.

I knew that we had a lengthy thread here somewhere, so I did a search for you.

Enjoy
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Hiking with my daughter when she was about seven years old shortly after I aquired my first set of hiking poles. She asked me "Daddy, what's those two sticks for?" It got shortened to daddytwosticks. All the more special because I was named on the trail by my beautiful daughter.

Journal Entries
    Images

My grandchildren gave me the name. They looked at my hiking boots which were pretty beaten up and said, "grandpa you've got old boots.". Now whenever they see me wearing the old boots they know I am going hiking.

Images

After I got out of the hospital in Aug. 2008 recovering from a surgery that put me in a coma for two weeks, I hadn't shaved and my beard had gone from brown to white. My best friend came to live with me for a while to help with the recovery, and when he saw me at the hospital he said, "My God, you look like a Q-TIP." Hence, my trail name. -TIP.

You can do anything that you believe you can!
    Images

My trail name flows over from other outdoor activities. I wear contacts most of the time but if I'm going to be out all day (mountain biking or hiking, etc) I sometimes find that I'm more comfortable in glasses. Every pair of glasses I own are Prada (I'm a sucker for em )... and I wear them everywhere. I especially like to hike in my purple Prada's... A friend said, "Everytime I see you you've got a funky pair of Prada's on. I'm gonna start calling you PRADA!" and it stuck.

I bicycled across the country from Yorktown, VA to Astoria, OR the year before I thru'd the AT.... YEEHAW!!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ibikefar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I bicycled across the country from Yorktown, VA to Astoria, OR the year before I thru'd the AT.... YEEHAW!!

Your trail journal was the first one I ever read, Spokes. And may I say it was a good one. “Advance north!”

My trail name is also a street name I had as a kid in the Detroit suburbs. I was first given the name “Animal” on a trail in northern Michigan, there was a race that I won by running through a thicket faster then another running up a trail. It became a street name when I fought 14 guys at once and won. (I studied martial arts since the age of 6.) Apparently I was growling a lot while I was fighting and I was a bit ferocious. According to some of the people I worked with on the Maine Trail Crew the name still fits me. More people know me as Animal then my real name.

i gave my name to myself. end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i gave my name to myself. end of story.
    I have always wondered what your TN would have been had you not.....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Virginia Tortoise

I was the slowest in a group when backpacking the AT in MD. So they called me the Tortoise. When sectioning between GA and VA I met 3 or 4 other Tortoises. So I changed my name to the Virginia Tortoise.

Dolly sods is a magical area. For those of you who've had the opportunity to experience it first person, then you know the immense beauty, temperamental weather, undetonated ordinance, and the myriad of great camps & delicious water. It is a little slice of Canada right here in our backyards.

Both talking of this magical area over campfire, and vast exploration of the sods earned me the name, which I am happy to bare.

I'm just trying to get Tipi Walter out for a few nights in some terrible snow blows to test out his Citico winter setup!

Images

I'm a section hiker. Can't recall a hike it didn't rain. As an example, in the late 90's when i was doing some hikes through Georgia, the whole Southeast was experiencing one of the worst droughts recorded. (Here in the Florida panhandle, it turned out to be the drought of record.) Went hiking, and you guessed it, the remnants of a tropical storm went right over me. No rain for over two years, and it rained 24/7. Streams, creeks and springs were dry, the ground was soaking it up so fast there wasn't even any mud, and still it was raining. That photo of me in my profile was taken on another hike that was "supposed" to be dry. Camping on top of Standing Indean mountain, and three separate thunderstorms rolled over us. Woke up inside one of them, bailed down the little side trail (don't recall the name) to get back to one of the cars, with water flowing down the trail so hard that when we forded a little stream, we walked a few steps down the stream bed mistaking it for the trail.

Hence, Hikes in Rain.

Journal Entries

I built a house in Virginia, about 1/2 mile north of Dicks Dome, 100 yards east of the AT. I named my street DeerPath Lane, Linden, VA. Neighbors and frinds named me DeerPath.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

I started hiking the trail after I retired at 58, so 58Starter became my trail name.

I haven't really got a trail name yet. A few were tossed around on my first section hike, like: Young blood, Ken, and leanidous(idk how to spell it hah)
    one guy wanted to call me young blood, i guess cause i'm young? one guy called me ken cause i had a barbie hanging from the outside of my pack. there is a story behind it but i don't feel like explaining it haha. and the one that stuck the most was leanidous (that guy from 300).. they said i need a manlier name so they gave me that.. and it only stuck for a few days, if that. hopefully i'll actually get one this year..
    "Teufel Hunden"

Images

Well seeing how none of the names they gave you stuck,maybe you should be called teflon
    We can stop here,or we can keeep going...

Registered User Maddoxsjohnston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    Well seeing how none of the names they gave you stuck,maybe you should be called teflon
    +1 on Teflon

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

No matter how early I start...or how short my hike is supposed to be, it always seems to turn out that I am coming back to my car, in to camp, and/or back to the shelter long after the sun has gone down. Hence my trail name: WalksInDark.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

Mods:

This thread should probably be combined with the one here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...87-Trail-Names
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++