WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    2. A laminated card with your blood type, known allergies, medications you take, insurance info and emergency contact numbers. Have your trail name (if you have one yet) and your full real name on it.
    All good ideas Rocket and it reminded me of a good tip my mom (who works at a hospital and says it has been helpful in the past) guilted me into doing. Having a entry in your cell phone book labeled "ICE" (for "in case of emergency") who is someone who knows your blood type, allergies, medical history, medications etc. A weight free way to improve your medical safety and way more likely to save your life than a band-aid.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ibuprofen, triple antibotic pack, needle, dental floss,coupe benadryl,couple lopermide,gaze pad, bandaid, roid med, Beta blockers&extra script, ins card. All fits in small snack baggie.

Images

Skip the laminated card, put a RoadID on your wrist. I don't leave home without mine!

I've always been pretty much a minimalist when it comes to a first aid kit. Especially on the AT, where you can bail out at least once a day.
    But, I've added 2 things lately. I now carry tiger balm (smallest container of course) or monkey balm is almost the same (tiger is a little bit stronger)
    This has multiple uses: it is great for bug bites of most any kind. It is good for aching muscles (like a massaging cream that adds heat to the area), and is also good to sniff and clear the sinuses. I mainly use it for the bug bites and last week I got something like poison ivy (don't know what it is exactly but it's just itchy and dots all over) and it took away the itch anyway.

The other is some magnesium pills. (300 mg) These seem to be the only thing that can heal my cramps that I get whenever I push my body. (jogging, hiking hard when not in thru-hiking shape, swimming long distances, etc.) I've tried other things like potassium but only the mag. seems to work for me.

That said, the only other thing I carry is duct tape, a small foil pouch of neosporin and a few aspirins. I also carry needle and dental floss but, more for pack repairs than sewing myself up. (I would use the duct tape instead in most cases)

I also carry a small paring knife or razor blade but again, i don't consider these first aid.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++