WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's in your medical kit?

I am relatively new to distance hiking, and I want to know what essentials to pack in my medical kit? What's in yours? Thanks.

Virginia Tortoise

assorted bandages, first aid cream and Aspercreme. I also carry Advils and One A Day tablets separately.

Band-Aids, ibuprofen, mole skin, Benedryl, sometimes tape and gauze pads. Swiss army knife elsewhere.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Garlic
    Images

Bandaids, needle and thread (multiple use), white athletic tape, tweezers, razor blade, Neosporin, a couple of Benadryls.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

a little gauze, some gorilla tape, antibacterial ointment (sealed in straws), needle and wax thread, mini super glue, benadryl, aspirin, tylenol each in individual sealed bags, razor blade in mini envelope, tweezers, mini liquid band aid, and a few regular band aids.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am thinking as one ages you should add a glasses repair kit-what are they one ounce?

I take the bandaids out - (they are never used in a hospital anyway) and add what Garlic said above and Aleve and Lopermide

A over sized Bandana ( from a sheet ) or if you are real old school the BSA one with the cheat sheet First Aid printed on it....

a small vial of crazy glue.... for deep cuts? - not for the AT of course.... That needle comes in handy for popping the blisters....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Very similar to Ferel Bill's except I carry liberal doses of Immodium...I WON"T go into details, but figure it out. I also carry enough TP, but that's the topic of another thread.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

12 Bandaids, Small tube of Neosporin, 5' of 2" Leukotape (for blisters,the only tape that will stick to my sweaty feet), safety pin, tweezers, Doxycycline for Lyme Disease), and ibuprofen. That's it. I figure my first aid kit only needs to handle minor medical situations. Anything major and I'm heading to the nearest town for medical assistance.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Ounces are the little-death

Half dozen ibuprofrin, half dozen bandaids, sewing needle.
    Haven't used them in hundreds of miles but it's a security thing.

First: I would suggest that you take (if you haven't yet) a wilderness first aid class (such as the Green Mt.Club hosts in Vermont two-three times each year) and understand how injuries affect the body and their treatment. But, I carry large sized band-aids (4-5 of them) in case of blisters-small cuts, then add two small rolls of duct tape, lots of aleve-aspirin and off I go.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

First Aid kit (Imodium, benadryl liquid,bandaids, neosporin,butterfly bandages,dental repair kit,roll of mesh,medical tape, tweezers,razor blade,hand mirror,tylenol, 4 aquamira tabs, plain condom,cotton balls,soap powder,ear plugs, suter kit, crazy glue,needle and thread, extra minibic,moleskin, box matches, cloth repair material)

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    First: I would suggest that you take (if you haven't yet) a wilderness first aid class...
    I'm usually the one who suggests this first on these threads. I must be slipping.

The best first aid kit ever assembled won't be worth squat if you panic the first time you might need it. Having a cool head is better than anything that might be in your pack. Training is a great way to assure that you might actually be able to do something if it happens.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I have some athletic tape and gauze (can make any sized bandaid out of that), some regular bandaids, neosporin in a sample foil thing, some ibuprofen, a couple vicodin, big fat needle (with a big eye) and dental floss for thread. There might be an alcohol swab in there, too.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

+2 on the first aid training.

Some other suggestions and possibles:

1. A tiny (1/2 page) printout on common first aid actions (heat stroke vs. heat exhuastion, shock, etc). You can put this together yourself from info on the internet. Fold it up into a mini-booklet or create two or three two-sided laminated cards. Punch a hole in the cards and run a piece of string through it to keep 'em together.

2. A laminated card with your blood type, known allergies, medications you take, insurance info and emergency contact numbers. Have your trail name (if you have one yet) and your full real name on it.

3. A little burn ointment. Hot stoves, pots full of simmering dinners, camp fires... you get the idea.

4. A little bit of hand sanitizer. I carry a tiny bottle full. You should have some in your pack already, but in the heat of the moment it's a good reminder if you see it when you open the first aid kit.

5. A tweezers or tick key. Some sort of tick removal tool.

6. Before you load up on Ibuprofen or Aleve, check with your doctor. I can't take Ibuprofen because of a prescription medication I use. I didn't know that until I specifically asked the doc.

7. If you have heart issues, or just getting older and cautious, a couple of 325mg uncoated aspirin weigh next to nothing. Again, ask your doctor.

8. I also carry a couple of safety pins in my "repair kit" which rides along with my first aid kit. Safety pin + bandana = sling.

9. A couple of antacids.

10. I carry a couple of old fashioned cough drops. Never needed them for myself, but on one trip I gave them to a buddy one night which allowed both of us to get some sleep.

11. Ear plugs. I keep mine in the first aid kit because I got tired of brushing my teeth, hanging my food and toiletries, then having to get it down again to retrieve my ear plugs.

Inside my Medical Kit:

Clear Eyes - 8.75g - Micro container (trail fires burn the eyes, don't learn the hard why like I did!)
    Superglue 7.34g - (If you have to ask, you probably should not ask lol)
    NyQuil - 4.41g - 2 Caps
    Orajel - 4.17g - In a micro dropper. (easiest way to acquire benzocaine)
    Tylenol PM - 3.88g - 4 Pills, 2 packs
    Dramamine - 3.39g - 4 Pills, 2 packs
    Neosporin - 3.26g - 2 Packs
    Hydrocortisone Cream 1% - 2.85g -2 packs
    Pepto-Bismal - 2.34g -2 pills
    Excedrin - 2.32g -2 Pills, 1 pack
    Medi-Lyte - 2.18g -2 packs
    Blistex - 1.92g -2 packs
    Burn Gel - 1.36g -1 Pack
    Aleve 1.25 - 0.044g -1 Pill, 1 Packn
    Bandaids - 1.16g -Misc.
    Splinter Out - 0.74g -Just one

Total weight: 51.32 grams (1.81 ounces)

I will also note that I never leave home without a RoadID which contains my full name, blood type, SSN, emergency contacts and other details. I believe every hiker should not leave home without one either. Buy them with a red band to hopefully catch the attention of the EMT's and/or S&R and/or the coroner.

Images

Two large bandaids where I could cover a quarter-sized blister if necessary, a bottle of NewSkin (it works better for /me/ over most bandaid things, but I have those two bandaids as back-up), a handful of Ibuprofin, and some prescribed stronger things. Two safety pins. Toothbrush/paste.

That's it.

Vaseline, toothpaste, gauze, assorted bandages, triple antibiotics, a bunch of cotton balls doubling as fire starters with the vaseline, and my palm sewing kit for stitches.

Images

If you go to YouTube and search for Mike Clelland (author of "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping") you'll find a handful of informative videos. One of these addresses the contents of his medical kit. They're all worth viewing.

All I carry is a large bottle full of Rush's Thunderbolts. If they were good enough for Lewis & Clark, they're good enough for me.

Seriously, whatever you carry along for first aid, do like several posters have said: Get some wilderness first aid training and carry with you some form of ID with your medical history on it. I wear two dogtags around my neck with all the info on it.

Neosporin (actually the generic stuff from Walmart)
    Doxycyclene (for Lyme Disease and anaplasmosis)
    Fasigyn (for giardiasis)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++