WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default ADVISORY: 'Semen foot' Hiker heading southbound from NY area

Not sure if general is the right category for this or not, Mods feel free to move if neccesary.

I just returned from a week long trip in Harriman State Park, NY. We encountered a very odd/strange hiker at the Brien Memorial shelter. He stated he started in MA and is heading southbound to springer. I got an uneasy vibe around him, as did the other members of my group. He stopped at the shelter for a quick rest stop and ended up staying for 5 hours before heading on to Fingerboard shelter.

He was talking about all kinds of crazy stuff such as rubbing semen and feces on his feet to keep them moisturized, doing yoga stretches while you are falling to stop the fall, sprinting all around the shelter area randomly with his shirt off-mind you it was like 20F outside. He was hugging and humping trees. Talking about how he wished he had a bastard sword because he has a bastard and was swinging his trekking poles around wildly, talking about how he wanted to move to NYC and become a rat ninja and hunt rats to live off of with a slingshot shooting eggs filled with powdered glass. And lots of other strange crazy things.

Just wanted to let everyone know to be wary, he didn't do anything that seemed outright red flag behavior, and he has nice and polite, just...odd.

He said his name was Andrew i believe, maybe Adrian, he was probably in his late 20s or 30s, white, strawberry blonde hair with a full beard, skinny build, probably 5'8-5'10ish, 150ish lbs.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

If not this then please define red flagg behavior.
    We can stop here,or we can keeep going...

I met a fair number of "characters" back when I hiked in Harriman often. Sounds like this guy tops them all.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

was he tripping?

Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    Sure, it seems bad in the minute it took to read that, but in 5 hours it's not that bad.

Images

Sounds like he is mentally disturbed.

In this weather he may freeze to death.

Panzer

Images

Sounds like it might be Mattie on spring break. ;-)
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

5 hours or not, that's bad.

Well i meant he wasn't brandish weapons or threatening to kill us or anything. I got more of a weird vibe, than a dangerous one if that makes sense. but in anycase if you run in to him i would keep your guard up. He said he was doing 15-20 mile days, so that would probably put him somewhere in NJ now.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

It seems more of a mentally disturbed type of person to me. His behaviour is all over the place.

Maybe a schizophrenic??!!. They all give you a bad vibe just in a few minutes and although a small fraction of them are dangerous,they do more harm to themselves than others. Possibly he is out of his medications.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    He said he was doing 15-20 mile days, so that would probably put him somewhere in NJ now.
    He'll fit right in here
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

:banana

Doesn't everyone do that?

hell i'll drink beer with him

Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    Sitting on the couch and watching tv....

... every day.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

last year i spent the night at the william brien memorial shelter. i got a strange vibe from that place, but not anything like this. when we got to the shelter we found and old bed mattress with a snuggie, a pair of reading glasses, and a book on it. this was very strange, we were expecting someone to come back home as if they were living there. then later we also saw 2 men wander out of the woods, (holding steak knifes) not coming from a trail, with shopping bags full of what we think where wild mushrooms. they just saw us and went back into the woods. it was just an eery place with a couple of weird tthing encountered.

Images

So you mean he's a lot like every other hiker you meet on the trail.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Savoring Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post

sprinting all around the shelter area randomly with his shirt off-mind you it was like 20F outside. He was hugging and humping trees. ....... And lots of other strange crazy things.
    Behavior of this sort is indicative of societies diminishing level of acceptable morals. Threehuggers yesterday, Treehumpers today, what can we expect for tomorrow? 8o)

Savor Happy!

TaTonka
    I am Who I am because I've been THERE .

Quote Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
    when we got to the shelter we found an old bed mattress with a snuggie, .
    Oh sweet you found my snuggie, I was wondering where I left that.
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 02-12-2012 at 23:52. Reason: closing quote

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
    last year i spent the night at the william brien memorial shelter. i got a strange vibe from that place, but not anything like this. when we got to the shelter we found and old bed mattress with a snuggie, a pair of reading glasses, and a book on it. this was very strange, we were expecting someone to come back home as if they were living there. then later we also saw 2 men wander out of the woods, (holding steak knifes) not coming from a trail, with shopping bags full of what we think where wild mushrooms. they just saw us and went back into the woods. it was just an eery place with a couple of weird tthing encountered.
    After reading the opening post my first thought was that it made perfect sense this encounter happened at William Brien Memorial shelter. I stayed there this spring in the middle of four days of rain and the place was seriously surreal and creepy. If I had encountered a character like the one the opening poster did when I was there I might have assumed it was a figment of my imagination.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    After reading the opening post my first thought was that it made perfect sense this encounter happened at William Brien Memorial shelter. I stayed there this spring in the middle of four days of rain and the place was seriously surreal and creepy. If I had encountered a character like the one the opening poster did when I was there I might have assumed it was a figment of my imagination.

Please share! I enjoy hearing of these encounters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++