WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why must they be so Expensive??- Darn Tough Socks!

hello all,

Im looking to get 2pr of the Darn Tough merino boot socks for my upcoming thru; but these things are so damn expensive! Id like to pay less than 20 bucks per a pair. Any suggestions???

Also, people who have used these, how well do liners work with them, would they save the life of the socks for a through or are unnecessary?

Thanks
    CC

You can find them cheaper than $20. I love mine and wear them even when not hiking.

http://www.gearbuyer.com/bc/darn_tou...q=darn%20tough

--louis

Best sock I've found are Wright Socks, made in U.S.A., very durable, the kind I wear (Running Quarter), about $10.

They have an unconditional lifetime warranty that blows the socks off the competition.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Most good wool socks will work in place of darn toughs. Get if you can get a deal otherwise, a 3 pack of costco wool socks work fine for around 12 bucks.

Darn Toughs are the best. I got a pair last summer for hiking and now they are my go to sock for around town/campus too. Had to buy my mom some for Chirstmas so she'd stop asking to borrow mine.

If you are sure on the size/style you want they can be found on Amazon for slightly cheaper than retail. They will last and last, and don't stretch, shrink, or kink like many socks do.

Quote Originally Posted by CornerCreek27 View Post
    hello all,

Im looking to get 2pr of the Darn Tough merino boot socks for my upcoming thru; but these things are so damn expensive! Id like to pay less than 20 bucks per a pair. Any suggestions???

Also, people who have used these, how well do liners work with them, would they save the life of the socks for a through or are unnecessary?

Thanks
    CC
    Well, lots of sock companies offer a premium sock in that pricepoint, ie Smartwool offers their PhD socks at a very similar pricepoint using the USP that its the best fitting sock you can buy. Darn Tough's pitch guys across the entire line. They typically average about 5% less merino compared to other brands, but the "guaranteed for life" USP is a BIG deal. We're seeing the lifespans of DT socks FAR exceed the life of other merino socks. Its not uncommon to find people that thru'd with the same few pairs of DT socks. Any issues - get a new pair, with relatively no questions asked. If you ask us, thats a KILLER value.

Fit on them is a little funny for some. We notice people with higher insteps have tight bunching that can be uncomfortable. Otherwise, the feedback on fit is incredible. As for liners? Its a merino sock and if it fits you right and your shoe fits you right - a liner should be no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CornerCreek27 View Post
    hello all,

Also, people who have used these, how well do liners work with them, would they save the life of the socks for a through or are unnecessary? Thanks CC

Pay for the best. I've used Smartwools for years, found out that they're made overseas, and tried Darn Tough.

Smartwools are good, but as their name implies, Darn Tough are tougher.

The inside of the socks are so comfortable it would be a shame to wear liners with them.

I quit using liners in the 1990s. They came out originally to protect the feet from brutally rough chain knitted "Ragg" wool socks.

They aren't necessary if your shoes fit properly. The liners can actually slide around inside the outer sock to the point that they can cause toe jamming and heel blistering (as they did with me).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Best sock I've found are Wright Socks, made in U.S.A., very durable, the kind I wear (Running Quarter), about $10.
    Mine wore out like crazy. Not sure why. I fond the Wigwam coolmax fantastic.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

They're worth it. You'll spend more money on many more frivolous things during your thru.

Danr Toughs are made in Vermont and reportedly pay their workers a living wage to make a premium product.

If they last twice as long as another pair of socks half the price they are effectively the same price and if they last longer, then they are a bargain.

good point on the frivolous junk that Ill buy on the trail. These are the last things i need in my gear list for a thru. I guess im trying to save all my money for beers in town!

I find the quality of "smart-wool" socks has varied alot since they first came out. You have to feel them and read the 'ingredients' and be very critical of how they are put together. Just because it says 'merino' or 'smart wool' is no quarantee of quality. I will buy a pair of darn tough if I ever come across a pair, because they are made in Vermont, but I am the kind of guy that needs to feel what I am buying.

It's tough when you make top quality goods because they really do last so much longer people don't need to come back. That's why over time quality tends to deteriorate after a good brand has established itself. Hopefully that will not happen with Darn Tough, but now would be the time to buy them, while you still can. You never know.

Images

Hey thier made here in the USA,and they are an excellent product.What more reasons do you need.Buy in country when ever possible.
    We can stop here,or we can keeep going...

Images

I got a pair at TJ Maxx for $5! (my other pair $18), so I guess 2 pairs for 23 is pretty snazzy.

Good luck.
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

I'm not sure which darn tough socks you want, but I just picked some up on backcountry.com for less then $10...I think it depends on which style and size though...

I love Darn Tough. I should send them a Valentine. I bought a pair of Smart Wool and a pair of Darn Tough on the same day. The Darn Tough pair lasted 100x more miles (literally). They eventually got a hole on a seam, and I took them back. Got a free pair, no problem. I now own three pair and keep the receipts in an undisclosed location. As long as the company doesn't fold and I don't lose them, I'll never have to buy hiking socks for the rest of my life.

I know a lot about DTVT guys. I've even been fortunate enough to go to their mill. Here are a few reasons why you should consider supporting them and paying a few extra dollars.
    -They are MADE IN THE USA right there at the mill. Go ahead....support overseas production otherwise on most other options.
    -There are "grades" of Merino wool and they use the best.
    -They use the highest blend of Marino Wool.
    -Its a family business
    -Lifetime guarantee
    -THEY HAVE BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL AT SUPPORTING and CREATING SPECIFIC SOCKS FOR OUR WARFIGHTERS IN THEATRE. Who could be more demanding?
    -They are both comfortable, and durable.

I am a huge fan. You defintely pay for what you get. Darn Tough is a family owned company. Do some quick research and you'll quickly enjoy supporting their story.

Happy Hiking.....

Images

They are the best, hands down. Have over 500 miles hiking in them and many miles paddling and sloshing through muck as well. They look new and are the most comfortable to wear around the house as well.

When distance hiking, I do use very thin liners. Perhaps a carry over from the old days. The system works great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++