WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default VA Hiking/Three Ridges Loop

I'm planning on hiking the Three Ridges Loop in Virginia in late November, early December. What is the weather typically like at this time of year? And in terms of resources, is the Central Virginia ATC guidebook/map bundle the one I want for this section?

Thanks!

Journal Entries

We'll be up in that area late October. Hoping for pleasant crisp fall temperatures and no rain. I would expect late Nov/early Dec to be similar, a few degrees cooler, fall colors gone, early sunset.

We were a little south of there in the spring, April maybe, for a weekend hike that included the Priest. Patchy snow everywhere at upper elevations. Had sleet and freezing rain first day on trail. Once we got off the mountaintops, snow was gone.

No opinion on guidebook - haven't used that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dollb2 View Post
    I'm planning on hiking the Three Ridges Loop in Virginia in late November, early December. What is the weather typically like at this time of year? And in terms of resources, is the Central Virginia ATC guidebook/map bundle the one I want for this section?
    Thanks!
    Gets pretty cold there early december. could be 20-30 up at Maupin if you're staying over there. Day time maybe 25-60 range throughout the day, depending on your luck and time of day.
    Difficult terrain if the weather is bad. lots of big rocks from harpers creek up/down 3 ridges, and several other challenging sections
    A nice hike! I would pick another area if the weather is looking rough. Otherwise, it will be nice cool weather to make the climbs more enjoyable

the nat geo map has some nice detail for that area. I think this is the one
    https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...-trail-map-789

The weather is highly variable at that time of year. You pretty much have to wait until a week or so before the trip to decide what kind of weather you needed to gear up for - with a big margin for error if the forecast if off by a day or two.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++