WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Absolutely they should disclose that they have a special interest in the product/company they are pushing. It's only the honorable thing to do.

Rain Man

Ah, that would be nice but when is full disclosure ever given. Not in the media, advertising, politics, shouldnt expect it here either. A shame but true.

The odd thing is that before I became somewhat associated with Tarptent (I get a commission for the Aussie sales) on several occasions people took exception at my posts explaining how I used the product.
    Never had that since ...
    So I would suggest that simply because someone raves on about a product it does not mean that there is a commercial interest , usually it is just a pet product.
    However there is some evidence that ceratin manufacturers post anonimously (IE with a made up name) ...
    So read again Don's comment.
    Franco

I did not know people got paid to give reviews.How can I get a job doing this?Honestly I'm not really interested.There are these little things I've learned while spending time here at White Blaze,little cliches if you will.Sayings like YMMV,Hike your own Hike and my personal favorite IMHO.There is good reason while these sayings exists,cause they make sense.And so does May the buyer beware,and the antidote for that lemon laws.warranties or the just the plan old returning of the item.I always take all reviews with a grain of salt..but not literally.

Images

I always read the negative reviews. especially on amazon or rei. Reading positive reviews are like advertisements. I also think positive reviews can be accurate but they can also be justification or bragging.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Journal Entries
    Images

I represent Shelter mouse reduction..... Really...... WWhhhho would have thought that?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I don't get paid for anything on my blog, however, there has been a couple of times that someone has sent something to me, sometimes for a review, sometimes just as a thank you type thing. But, this has been quite rare. And for each of these things I am sure to let the reader/viewer know that the I myself did not purchase the item in my "review".

When I started my blog the biggest reason was so that it would be somewhat of a live journal that I could access from anywhere. Of course though I also had dreams of having a blog that is good enough, and provided good information so that others would stop by every once in a while. And by doing this, it was also another way for me to interact with others, you know, other than in forums.

When I do reviews on my blog I try to stick to the facts, and then how I feel about the product (usually initial impressions) and how it will, or how I think it will work for me, either on its own or with my other gear. Also, since I have been purchasing gear from a lot of the smaller cottage type business, I like to include info on how the transaction went and their customer service/support.

I will admit, I have been happy with most of the items I buy, although there have been some that I have not been happy with and did not keep around. There are items that I am super happy with but along the way I realize things that I need to improve on, or find that there is something better, at least in my opinion.

I agree with some of the other posters too that one single source should not be the only bit of info that someone looks at before purchasing an item, no matter how big or small. Of course though there are a few items that can be hard to find a review on, and sometimes it may seem like you can only find that one source. But you always have the right to call a company and talk with them, or go to forums like this one and post questions here. Just because someone hasn't blogged about it, or reviewed it on the product page doesn't mean no one knows about it...

Also, I find that what may work for me may not work for you, and what works for you may not work for me. So, I also agree with 10-K to find out people with similar interests. A newbie shouldn't necessarily be buying items that a SUL/XUL hiker is using because there is a very good chance that it ain't gonna work out for them...but there is a chance.

However, even if you don't have a blog, anyone still has the right to post/share their experiences with a certain product.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Toyotas are better.
    Voted best by Anarchist's around the world......
    TOYOTA-HILUX_technical.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Do they make a "Hot Wheels" version of that?

Images

Im with Stick I blog about various things, hiking gear being one of them. I do my best to test my gear first and give some honest feedback which includes negatives or annoyances. I don't get paid for my reviews. I've received a fire steel for free and a hammock camping book. The book I did a review on and that book was awesome, period.

Raul

I'm not about to give a disclaimer every time I recommend gear. Take my advise, or don't, it doesn't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I'm not about to give a disclaimer every time I recommend gear. Take my advise, or don't, it doesn't matter to me.
    Do you work for a gear manufacturer or get paid or sponsored by one?

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm for volunteering disclosures as a courtesy. But not as a mandate.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

agreed w/ rainman. if someone is suggestively selling something under the guise of offering free advice or experience w/ the item, when in turn they are just trying to sell the item for money, gear, or prestige, then that is WACK.

i enjoy blogs like stick's and raul's. honest, not afraid to point out negatives, not hanging from the coattails of 1 manufacturer claiming it's the greatest when really they've never tried anyone else. even if raul is scared to come hike pa this spring. it's probably the fear of the rocks damaging his delicate little tootsies.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    even if raul is scared to come hike pa this spring. it's probably the fear of the rocks damaging his delicate little tootsies.
    I laughed when I read this in the morning, I chuckled when I thought about this line in the afternoon, and I laughed again while reading this. Great post!

You know I would love to come down to the PA and knock out some trail with you and Fin. However my sights are North this June in my attempt to put a benji under my belt for charity. Let me know if you guys are down for a few days late November or early December for a hike.

Peace,

Water Tootsie... ugh I mean Monkey

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I blog. I am an Amazon and REI Associate. So far, I've pulled in a whopping $15 bucks doing that. I scored a one-time sponsorship from Emergen-C for which I got some free product for my use, and to give out as samples. No manufacturer has provided me with any product to review. I'm up front about all that with disclaimers on my blog.

My blog is also a journal of my journey finding stuff that works for me. I don't review stuff I don't use. If an item I use is available at either of those places, The link I provide will net me a (very) small percentage of whatever you buy without increasing the cost to you. If what I write about isn't sold by those folks, the links I provide net me nothing. The latter makes up the bulk of my big ticket items since I am more and more supporting cottage industries.

I can imagine that there are backpacking bloggers who make a living doing this. I can't think of one tho. I see a lot of those folks in the photo blogging sphere. But I also suspect that the majority of us don't make enough to tempt us to violate our personal ethics. If anything, we make enough to help defray the cost of our habits. If I ever got to the point where I was making sufficient income doing this, I'd work harder at it, and I'd continue to make my relationships well known
    Last edited by LDog; 02-15-2012 at 19:50.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

I represent Dayglo Sunflower Seed Trail Snacks. You never get lost on account of the proprietary "brain booster blend" baked on seasonings but if you do you can follow your path of brightly coloured seed shells to where you deviated.

I think most people will tend to push whatever gear they have.
    It may be all they know about.
    You get so many different opinions on whiteblaze that you have to sift through the BS.
    Learn who to respect and who talks out their butt.

It's all just gear anyway, and it all works. Some is just more durable than others.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I represent Shelter mouse reduction..... Really...... WWhhhho would have thought that?

Hey - I was hoping for some mileage for that.... what? oh nevermind......

Woo

Ounces are the little-death

To me, it's pretty obvious which blogs and youtube channels give reviews based on experience and which were given the product.

Images

The more I read about which is the best tent, bag or water treatment..........the more confusing it is anyway. Insert smiley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++