WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Week-long packs

Registered User PecosBackpacker's Avatar
    Images

Default Week-long packs

Hi all
    I typically do 5 day to week-long trips. I am in the market for a new backpack. Sierra Trading Post is having some great offers. Can someone give me a suggestion for any of the packs on their site? Thanks in advance

What type of pack? Internal, External, or Frameless?

I'm not sure about the OP, but I'm also in the market for a pack. I'll be doing a 5-night hike too, and it's my first overnighter. I personally am small and not interested in carrying a lot (plus my partner and I will be sharing a lot like the tent and food and stove). Although, I probably won't be ultralight, since this is my first time. I'm thinking an internal in the area of 2500 ci.

I know from advice I've read on this board, it's really important to get all your "stuff" first, and then get the pack that is comfortable for you and is sufficient for your stuff.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

If you are a "traditional" backpacker you'll probably want 4000-4500ci (65-75 liters). However, if you have reduced your pack weight and volume even just a little bit, you can probably get by with much less.

If this is your first pack, I'd pick something in the 3400-4000ci (55-65L). If all of your stuff won't fit in the pack, lash it to the outside until you replace it with "better", "smaller", "lighter" gear. Or better yet, leave it at home.

Now, if you plan to carry, chairs, cook 3 course meals, 35mm camera plus 2 lens, etc. You may never get stuff into a 55L pack. But, if you bring just what you need, 55L is enough space for a 5-day trip in non-desert conditions. In fact, with a little work, you should be able to get a 5-day 3-season non-desert load into less than 3000ci (50L) without sacrificing anything.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

I like the Kelty Haiku for a good all around pack. It seems well made, holds all my stuff, but is isn't the lightest. Then again, it isn't the heaviest either and for the price that I gave I am happy with it. Personally I'd rather carry a heavy comfortable pack than a lighter less comfortable one. If I had the money, I'd probably buy an Osprey, which aren't considered ultralight. The Kelty was on clearance, and therefore won due to price. I had been considering a Gregory G-pack because they are cheap, but mnay have stated they may not hold up well. The new model is out which appears to be more substantially made, but also costs more.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by erichlf
    What type of pack? Internal, External, or Frameless?
    I prefer Internal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142
    Now, if you plan to carry, chairs, cook 3 course meals, 35mm camera plus 2 lens, etc. You may never get stuff into a 55L pack. But, if you bring just what you need, 55L is enough space for a 5-day trip in non-desert conditions. In fact, with a little work, you should be able to get a 5-day 3-season non-desert load into less than 3000ci (50L) without sacrificing anything.
    I plan on doing my hiking in the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico. A lot of it is desert conditions. What would you suggest?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBackpacker
    I plan on doing my hiking in the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico. A lot of it is desert conditions. What would you suggest?
    Guessing that you are probably a beginner hiker, I would say start off with a pack in the 4000-4500ci range. If you stick with backpacking, eventually you will see that a 3000ci inch lightweight pack is even better. but dont jump into boiling water.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Although they are a bit heavy and expensive, I like Gregory packs.

Gregory has a new pack out called the Keeler which looks cool I guess.

www.gregorypacks.com

Or I have an old one called the Redwood (size L, 4800ci, about 5lbs) that I would consider selling to you. Its the first pack I ever had with the exception of my old Jansport external frame that I had when pops took me all the time when I was 10 years old. It would make a great starter pack. PM me.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBackpacker
    I honestly don't have any experience with hiking in dry conditions. Assuming you have to lug large quanities of water around (like 6-8L per day), you are going to want something with a good frame (internal or external). As 8L of water weighs ~16#. So, assuming you can get water once per day, and carry 2# of food per day, you will probably start the trip with 16# + 10# + 5# (pack?) + 12# (gear) == 43#. With a bit of work, you can cut the 12# number down to well below 5#, particularly if you are hiking in dry conditions.

Osprey, Gregory and Arc'Teryx all make excellent load carrying packs. Though they can be a bit pricey (especially Arc'Teryx). If you want to go cheap, external frames are the way to go if you need to carry heavy (40#+) loads.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

++ New Posts ++