WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default doing a section hike of Maryland in June

My son and myself are planning a section hike through Maryland iN June 6 - 11. We are hammock hangers and have never hiked any of the AT. what will the weather be like at that time? should I plan on using a topquIlt rate at 40*? will that be warm enough? We will be carrying 25# packs.

Sorry, I can't answer your questions...as we did it in August. Great trip! Make sure your son climbs to the top of the Washington Monument!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

June is usually really warm should be fine, but the bugs might get you

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Sorry that I do not have an answer to your question, but maybe you can help me. I am doing the same section hike from May 31-June 4. We are starting at Harpers Ferry and are going to need a shutttle back to Harpers Ferry. Who are you using or do you have any suggestions?

2014 Thru-Hiker in Training

Having lived in Baltimore for several years now, I can tell you that early June is one of the most beautiful times of year to be on the AT in Mayland. You are more likely to find the weather to be on the warm side, so I don't think you should have any problem with a 40 degree quilt. If you find that you are having a hard time securing a shuttle back from Pen Mar, send me a PM with your contact info and we can talk about coordinating a pick up.

Images

Default re: doing a section hike of Maryland in June

I backpacked the Maryland section over Memorial weekend 2010. Weather was usually warm. I had 2 high heat days and pulled off the trail to take a nap in my hammock.

Water is usually not a problem, but beware that there are "dry sections" at each end of Maryland due to steep downhills to springs. If you start at Harpers Ferry, pack enough water to get to Gathland SP.

I had no problem hammocking in Maryland. Be aware that Maryland requires camping in designated areas only. I used a lightweight poncho liner instead of a sleeping bag and was plenty warm with a Walmart foam pad under me. Plan on mosquitoes and have a head net and DEET or a screened hammock.

Might consider hiking north to south as that is the route used by scout groups. I saw plenty of people during that time of year and you'll meet plenty of thrus.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by jbsbestfan View Post
    Sorry that I do not have an answer to your question, but maybe you can help me. I am doing the same section hike from May 31-June 4. We are starting at Harpers Ferry and are going to need a shutttle back to Harpers Ferry. Who are you using or do you have any suggestions?
    I'd suggest getting your shuttle from Harpers Ferry to PenMar and hiking south. It's more advantageous to hike to your car than have to time the hike to meet a pickup. HF is a good place to leave a car - use the Park Service lot.

You can find a shuttler from the ATC List.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've done this stretch many times. The only thing I can add is check for ticks and learn about the symptoms for Lyme disease.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I live in Maryland too. We backpacked western Md near the AT one Memorial Day (May 30), and had frost on the ground early in the morning, but the daytime temps are usually 80's. Late June can easily be 90 and HUMID! Heat index of over 100 is always a possibility. Last year was heavenly in the mid-80's during the day and 50 to 60-ish at night

Hey jbsbestfan, i think i will be going with Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry i believe the cost is about $70 for two person. Try checking out their web site for more info. keep me posted on your trip and good hiking to ya.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

I backpacked and hammocked that area last year. You will be good to go with your quilt. Be sure to fill up on water when you can as, last year specifically, you won't always find water where you expect to.

In particular there was one shelter in Maryland where you had to go almost a half mile down a steep hill to get water. When you are tired and thirsty...that is one trip you don't want to have to make until you have had a good nights sleep.

The scenery is beautiful and the shelters are way above average.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Images

That is like 5-6 days for only 44 miles. I like norther VA and southern PA. I would consider hiking further. also SNP isnt far away.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

Two shelters have a long down to water: The new Raven Ridge Shelter, it still uses the water source for the Devils racecourse shelter (about 1/3 mile down, but decent water) and the Ed Garvey shelter (1/2 mile down, but also good water). Weather should be warm to hot. I have hiked that section on the first day of fall in mid-90 degree heat and also hiked in late June, also in 90 degree heat, so, drink up! Happy Hammock Hanging! Give us a trip report.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

++ New Posts ++