WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Long Trail in August. Can I do it?

Hey all,

I'll have ~20 days this coming August that I'll be able to dedicate to hiking the trail. How is this season for hiking up North?
    My experience stems all from last Summer when I hiked 400 miles of the AT VA->NY. I've also heard the hiking in Vermont is considerably different from what I've seen thus far. Will my time constraints cause my trouble?

Thanks!
    David
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

While I think September is the best month to hike the LT, August should be a close second You will find the Long Trail to be more rugged than what you did in your VA-NY hike. In general it gets more difficult from South - North and so I would suggest a NOBO hike to let you get into shape before hitting the really rugged stuff up near Camels Hump and beyond. 20 days sounds like enough to me given that you are an experience hiker and even given that you might take it easy the first few days to get back into shape. Best of luck on the trip!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

You have 20 days, go hike for 20 days! Maybe you finish, maybe not, so unless finishing is the main reason for starting, just go hike.

21 days - 3 weeks - is a fairly typical time to e2e the LT. 268 miles / 20 = 13.4 MPD. But you'd better do better miles in the southern section, as north of RT2 will start to slow you down.

Now that assumes you have the full 20 days to be on the trail and does not include travel time back and forth from home, nor does it include any zero's or nero's to get off and find re-supply. It would be a bit less stressful if you could manage a full 30 days for the trip.

Or you may want to go SOBO. Even though it's harder to start, once you get past that you can really start to move along. Plus, if you do run out of time, it would be easier to get out of Vermont near the southern end then it might be in the northen end.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

IMO, 20 days to complete the LT is tight for an average hiker.

First, to correct the math in post #4, IIRC the LT is actually 273 miles. Plus, you need to start in North Adams or Williamstown so add perhaps 3 or 4 miles, and then you'll probably have to walk from Journey's End to North Troy so add like another 3 miles for that (unless you are lucky and get a hitch!). So, all in, it's more like 280 miles of hiking.

Second, you do not really have 20 days to hike it in. IMO, you will need to re-supply at least twice (maybe 3 times?) which will typically burn off a half-day for each re-supply. So, in reality you probably only have 19 days for hiking, assuming that you have no travel time to or from the trail.

In effect, 280 miles over 19 days is about 15 miles per day which is possible, but tough for somebody who has not been hiking since Georgia. The LT is pretty rugged, so banging of 19 days of 15 miles (effectively 18 full days and two half-days) would be quite tiring on a cumulative basis. It can be done, but you need to be young, in good shape and determined.

Yeah ... 20 days is a little tight. If you're a strong hiker, and you're determined to do it in that timeframe, it is doable -- but a more enjoyable strategy by far would be to stay flexible, plan for a few different return options, and just go as far as you can. Average end-to-end hikes tend to run between three and four weeks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just go for 20 days. Certainly might finish.

Images

You can absolutely do it if you are in shape in about 17 days - - this would be "trail-legs" on - AT thru-hiker pace but it is not "crazy fast" - - it's probably done 10-20 times each year on a 2 week pace. I did it at what I thought was a nice brisk pace with a couple of zeros, several lazy afternoons to lounge around, etc. in 23 days plus travel with a crew of experienced teenagers. Even then, we maintained 2 days ahead of schedule and finished with 3 consecutive 8 mile days just to slow down a bit. You are 19 - you'll haul-ass - go for it.

I've thru-hiked the Long Trail before and I'm doing it again in August.

We are planning on 18 days, maybe 19, I would be surprised if it took 20. We are going southbound and both have a substantial amount of long-distance hiking experience. Yes, the Long Trail is fairly tough, but even a 19 day hike is just 14.3 miles per day. If you plan on taking some zeros that changes things, but if you hike everyday and take 2-3 neros, 20 days should be fine.

August will give you plenty of daylight, so even on tough days you will have 15-16 hours of daylight.

Spend some time getting fit and be mentally prepared for wet feet everyday north of route 4. It's an amazing trail, maybe see you out there!

I hiked the Long Trail last summer (not all of it), its a great trail, very rough hiking in some spots, but as others have said, enjoy yourself and let the hiking trip take you! Don't forget to stop in the Long Trail Inn (Killingston, VT) for a night or two, great place.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

I'm starting in Mid-August, going SOBO. Maybe I'll see ya out there

starting to piece my gear together. I have one or 2 things to replace. Im starting get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    You have 20 days, go hike for 20 days! Maybe you finish, maybe not, so unless finishing is the main reason for starting, just go hike.
    That's some sound wisdom! I like how you called that, Deadeye.

20 days is a VERY tight schedule. i would suggest going only as far as Smuggler's Notch (that's about 200 miles) and stopping there. Otherwise you would have to do longer days than you will like. The Long Trail is a very tough trail

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My newbie 16-year old brother and I thru-hiked the LT SOBO in August 1979 in 27 days with two zero days. We had a least a bit of rain on 20 of those days, with very adverse conditions on at least 5 days. With lighter equipment and your experience, I would think that you could easily accomplish a thru-hike in 20 days, especially if you went NOBO to give your legs some time to get in shape. Of course, you probably won't be able to take a zero and you'll have to average 13+ miles per day (more down south, less up north). We averaged just under 12 miles per day up north, not counting zero days.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

You have to resist the urge to go into every town for resupply. That seems to be the "ultralight" trend on the AT.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    20 days is a VERY tight schedule. i would suggest going only as far as Smuggler's Notch (that's about 200 miles) and stopping there. Otherwise you would have to do longer days than you will like. The Long Trail is a very tough trail
    Perhaps a better way of stating this is that...for you, 20 days would be very tight.

Look at it this way, 20 days works out to 15 miles per day, with 2 zero days, or 13.6 miles per day overall. The 'rough' section of the Long Trail is about 80 miles, from Appalachian Gap to Lamoille River, it's not 'rough' for 272 miles.

The southern 100 miles are fairly easy, the from Vt 15 to Canada isn't too bad, but certainly up and down.

My first thru-hike was in 1994, was carrying all the wrong gear, had real heavy boots, was smoking, didn't know anything about trail nutrition, ate candy bars all day, and I hiked it in 22 days with my girlfriend.

In my opinion, and experience...20 days is fine. For others it may not be, for others it may be too long.

Mail your resupply to the Jonesville PO and The Inn at Long Trail (the INN only UPS or FedEx). I used the freezer bag method and carried 7days of food for each resupply plus the initial. 10 lbs approx depending on your diet and it wasn't too bad except the hike up Camels Hump in Tropical Storm Lee with a fresh resupply (a most scary moment). You don't have to venture from the trail this way. Went southbound.

Thru-hiking the LT with just two resupplys would be tough in terms of pack weight for me, but I agree with Comet that those are the ideal places to get drops, roughly breaking it into 3 carries. Last time I resupplied in 4 places, will do that again but with some 'extra' visits:
    - Morrisville (near Johnson, full resupply)
    - Richmond (probably just for pizza and goodies)
    - Waitsfield (full resupply)
    - Rutland (full resupply)
    - Clarendon (hit up the cafe and goodies from general store)
    - Manchester Center (full resupply)

Also hitching is easier in VT than other states, so getting in and outta town in 60 mins is not uncommon, but it's always a risk obviously.

I live in Vermont and I always want hitchhikers to carry signs. Something like "Long Trail" or "LT Resupply". Hitchhiking signs are great.
    I skied up at Jay Peak this winter. It is a magical mountain. I hope you make it there and go into the LT shelter at the summit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++