WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Does "No Tenting" mean "No Hammocking" as well?

I've been looking through the LT End-To-Ender's Guide and noticed that several overnight shelters have no tenting marked beside them.

Does this mean that hammocks are not allowed either?

Cheers!

I would assume so but I would do it anyway personally. the signs should prob say no camping instead of no tenting.

Good question. Call the Green Mountain Club at 802.244.7037 or email them at [email protected]. and ask.

The areas where no tenting is allowed are typically high use/fragile areas. The idea is to keep people from going off the trail and stomping around, which can damage the vegetation. While Hammocking can be seen as having less impact then tenting, it still has impact.

So, I would interpet "No tenting" as "No camping". Those who come "from away" have no real clue as to why we have the rules we do here and the rules are for very good reasons.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Poor use of words. NO TENTING= NO CAMPING

Thanks for the information folks! This will aid my trip planning immensely.

Images

You can hammock the whole length of the LT pretty easily. It's the only way I camp!

Images

Tents_Only_P1250862.jpgNot the Long Trail, but last weekend I ran into a sign on Tennessee's Cumberland Trail that said "Campsite - Tents Only." I intend to ask the CTC folks, but til then really wonder what THAT means? No hammocking? No cowboy camping? What?! It was backcountry, so no way an RV could pull up and park there!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Tents_Only_P1250862.jpgNot the Long Trail, but last weekend I ran into a sign on Tennessee's Cumberland Trail that said "Campsite - Tents Only." I intend to ask the CTC folks, but til then really wonder what THAT means? No hammocking? No cowboy camping? What?! It was backcountry, so no way an RV could pull up and park there!

RainMan

Maybe their trail club just made up a bunch of signs at once that they could use as multi-purpose signs at all of their campsites, including ones near the road. Or maybe this one was already made and somebody had it laying around and they needed a new sign so they put it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Poor use of words. NO TENTING= NO CAMPING
    Yes, poorly worded.

Reminds me of a a sign I saw as I rode across Kentucky during my solo cross country bicycle trip. It was on the back of a car being pulled down the road by a pick-up truck. The sign read: "Car In Toe"

I laughed my arse off for a good 10 minutes......

++ New Posts ++