WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Englandahs Spring Fevah

As I procrastinate on school work with my hiking planning, wondering what folks are doing in the coming couple of months, Looking to do some warm ups. Def interested in my 4000 Footers and all but also want to go play in Vermont. Anyone got any special spots that are particularly awesome around the LT? May go out for a couple of days during Spring Break and Late April.

Gotta love the Camels Hump and Mansfield areas. The LT north from Camels hump on the Bamfoth ridge is some of my favorite hiking in VT. I also tend to end up on Mt Abraham alot, when the snow is gone you can access it from the Lincoln Warren rd making it a completely doable half day hike to gorgeus above treeline views. Stowe Pinnacle though I haven't been in many years is on my list to revisit. It is realatively short and lower so it may dry out earlier. Being kind of in the middle of Mansfield and the Worcester range with an open summit make for great views. This winter makes things so weird. Many years you could be talking snowshoeing/skiing/mountaineering that time of year. If we don't get much more snow it could be hiking weather but then how does the GMC policy on no spring hiking play out? I'd guess that as long as things are dried out it would be no harm no foul.

Images

Mt. Willey is pretty cool. Right behind the Willey House (my ancestors) in Crawford Notch. Good day hike. Pretty steep (had to get on my knees part of the way) with a great view of the Presidentials.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    If we don't get much more snow it could be hiking weather but then how does the GMC policy on no spring hiking play out? I'd guess that as long as things are dried out it would be no harm no foul.
    In the past they haven't really changed that policy regardless how dry the trails are. There is still snow in the mountains right now, it's just well below the usual depth. It all depends on the spring weather. If it's going to be as wet as the past few years, snow pack won't matter.

To be honest, I think the trail is going to be in rough shape this spring due to the more active freeze/thaw cycle. It's been below freezing every night and thawing every day. Tends to make things crumble.

Images

How feasible would a Stratton loop hike be now with microspikes and TPs? Is the snow too deep, or is it beaten down enough on trail to be passable?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    How feasible would a Stratton loop hike be now with microspikes and TPs? Is the snow too deep, or is it beaten down enough on trail to be passable?
    Not sure this year, but I did that hike around this time last year, and it was very difficult . Snow was super deep, access on the other side of Sratton was non existent( that dirt parking lot by the pond).

I haven't hit the trail yet this winter (although I'm thinking of doing Harriman section on the ny AT next w/e.)

But my guess is Stratton must have a couple feet at least.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

There are several 500 footers along the Fundy shore. lol

Images

Don't laugh. That's at least 100' higher than anywheres in FL.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    But my guess is Stratton must have a couple feet at least.
    Seriously doubt a couple of feet. At the absolute most a foot

Images

I'm thinking of heading out there and doing the flatter stuff from Stratton-Arlington Road to the Pond. If agreeable, and if all other things are working well, then maybe ascend from the north and descend the southern side, which I've been up and down in the fall, spikes and TPs fully deployed.

I'll probably need to get some more hikes in beforehand, as I've been dormant most of the winter, hitting the gym regularly instead. A ten-miler in icy/snowy conditions is a tall order cold, excepting an easy four-miler last weekend at Mt. Grace, Mass - even that meant a lot of sore muscles the next day. You can elliptical and bike and stair-climb all day at the gym - there's no substitute for time out on trail.

Images

I would doubt there is even a foot of snow near Stratton pond right now, or 6" for that matter....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I would doubt there is even a foot of snow near Stratton pond right now, or 6" for that matter....
    It was remarkable how snow-free the higher elevations of Mr. Grace were. The ridge runs northeast-southeast, and, being exposed to the warmer air from the southwest, all but the highest 300' or so were nigh-snow-free. Where the snow persisted, but even there no more than 6' at absolute most, was in the shade of the northeast size of the ridge. Remarkably mild winter.

I had one thought re: Stratton, which would be to two-car it if I can find an accompanist. Park one car in Stratton Village, another at Stratton-Arlington Trailhead, hike to the summit, via Pond or direct route, take ski-lift down. Might make more sense for me, rather than hazarding the descent - much less risk on the ankles, etc. We'll see.

Images

Am also considering at Rt. 2 to Wilbur Clearing hike to complete my Greylock Range traverse, descending most likely by Notch Road or possibly by Bernard Farm Trail. May do that before Stratton venture.

Just seam-sealed the Tarptent. Then I get online and see that Washington has 20 new inches of snow. Next week is going to be awesome. Im even packing the crampons. Heading over the Twins, Guyot and few 4000 Footers next week!

Tarptent is ready for the LT but Im gonna have to go with a heavier tent if winter is gonna come back for a spell

Images

Had a great time on Monadnock for the first time this past Friday. Views were superb. Plotting and scheming to take on Moosilauke from the east side lodge, going up the gorge trail and back down in a loop via the Carriage Road Trail, etc. May need to wait a couple weeks, but I'm ready to bring microspikes if need be. Waiting for finances to permit. I like the idea of the big Moose being my first official White 4k ascent, indeed, my first 4K peak to bag altogether.

Images

Heading out Friday morning for three days, prolly Rt. 9 to Rt. 11/30. Hoping there is no snow up on Glastenbury. I drive by that area a lot and it doesn't look like it, but Killington just got 19" the other night...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Heading out Friday morning for three days, prolly Rt. 9 to Rt. 11/30. Hoping there is no snow up on Glastenbury. I drive by that area a lot and it doesn't look like it, but Killington just got 19" the other night...
    I think you will encounter snow on Glasty, Stratton and Bromley, at least, though you could skip Stratton, perish the thought, and stay in the flats.

I'm in love with Nancy Pond, off Crawford Notch. One of my fav day hikes. No, it's not a summit, but well worth a visit.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

++ New Posts ++