WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
    All the better then. A worker gives there time, skills and energy to a company and that company lays them off (you have to be fired/"laid off" in CA - and every state I believe - to get unemployement) the least that company could do is give them a small portion of their salary. Workers give to their companies every day, why shouldn't the company give a little back.

And don't even start with the whole "someone worked for a week only to get unemployment cause they're lazy" stuff. 1)there will always be people who game a system, any system - do you say tithing at church is bad because some televangelist embezzles it all; 2) if you only worked a short time then the money you'll get for unemployment will be equally small - if you can get any at all as many states say you have to work x amount of time to get unemployment; and 3) if you're the lazy type of personwho wants to work for a wek and then do nothing then you won't be hiking the trail cause its work!

If i understand you're point, its that we, the workers, owe our bosses, the company and its shareholderslots of service, skills and a make lots of money for them .... but then they owe us nothing in return. I couldn,'t disagree more.

Where are you Joe Hill? Where are you Woodie Guthrie?
    Honestly, the company that you work for owes you nothing beyond the pay and benefits package that you agreed to work for. You work for them and they pay you. If they do not need your services they should have everyright to lay you off, just as you have a right to quit working for that company.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

The reason they don't check to see if your actually looking for a job is because they don't really care.

Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 02-29-2012 at 13:38.

Images

How could you be lazy if your hiking. Hiking is not a endeavor for lazy people.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    I am not some dumb hick in some small town, I understand how the world works. Cultivating and maintaining personal relationships is a part of life. Communicating clearly face to face with an employer, getting across that you are a hard worker and honest person is nothing new, these are concepts that apply to successful human beings. If you are convinced that applying online to jobs is the best way to get hired then I would argue you are getting what you deserve.

Here are some more strategies to think about...

- If you want to work for a big company but can't get past the online application...go apply for one of their smaller suppliers. Get that job, work your butt off, make sure people take notice and make people at the big company aware that you would love to come work there.

- Show up randomly at the decision makers doorstep, walk in, tell them you just wanted to stop by to tell them that if they hire you you will work harder, longer, faster, better. I have done this before.

- Write a hand written note requesting a meeting to tell them you will work harder, longer, faster, better.

- Don't go work for a big company...apply to small ones in person. (Hint, you might not want to be collecting unemployment, not have showered, and have a backpack on your back...this might scare your potential employer into thinking you would be a lazy, lying, cheat that would file for unemployment that they pay and go on vacation while lying and saying you are putting forth 100% effort to find a job).

- Accompany your online resume with glowing recommendations from past employers.

- If big city is your problem...move to a smaller one. Employment in your chosen town is not a right.
    I;ll repeat an earlier post. Many employers REQUIRE you to submit an applicatin online. It isn't even an option. As for showing up at the president of a company's door step, that will make you look like a stalker, they pay human resource people to take care of the hiring and most likely don't want to be bothered by somebody asking them for a job. If you work for a supplier of a larger company you can move up in that company, but most likely the parent company will not take you because they would see that as a conflict of interest since you work for a supplier. In a way you already work for them. A hand written note? Really? We have computers these days, and I believe a cover letter attatched to a resume would be more effective than scribbling something down on a note pad. If a prospective employer calls a past employer by law, at least here in Ohio, they aren't allowed to say much other than that you worked there, so technically if they say "yeah, he worked here best worker I ever had, a real shame I had to lay him off", then they are breaking the law.

Now, as far as all the applicants at your brothers restaurant trying to scam unemployment, I've worked in restaurants for the past 10 years and have yet to see this. Most servers make $3.43 an hour and kitchen staff rarely starts any higher than $10 an hour. The unemployment check for that would be next to nothing. Besides I think you have to work somewhere for six months before you're eligible for unemployment.

Just a few things I see wrong with your many arguments here. But I guess you know how the world works.

Images

I can't believe this thread is still going!

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I;ll repeat an earlier post. Many employers REQUIRE you to submit an applicatin online. It isn't even an option. As for showing up at the president of a company's door step, that will make you look like a stalker, they pay human resource people to take care of the hiring and most likely don't want to be bothered by somebody asking them for a job. If you work for a supplier of a larger company you can move up in that company, but most likely the parent company will not take you because they would see that as a conflict of interest since you work for a supplier. In a way you already work for them. A hand written note? Really? We have computers these days, and I believe a cover letter attatched to a resume would be more effective than scribbling something down on a note pad. If a prospective employer calls a past employer by law, at least here in Ohio, they aren't allowed to say much other than that you worked there, so technically if they say "yeah, he worked here best worker I ever had, a real shame I had to lay him off", then they are breaking the law.

Now, as far as all the applicants at your brothers restaurant trying to scam unemployment, I've worked in restaurants for the past 10 years and have yet to see this. Most servers make $3.43 an hour and kitchen staff rarely starts any higher than $10 an hour. The unemployment check for that would be next to nothing. Besides I think you have to work somewhere for six months before you're
    eligible for unemployment.

Just a few things I see wrong with your many arguments here. But I guess you know how the
    world works.
    My last awesome job I had I got by cold calling the Senior Vice President of the company (the guy I wanted to work for). I fooled the call up with a hand written thank you for your time call. Still to this day he rants and raves about how I was the guy that cold called him.

The job I have now I got by keeping in touch with a friend of a friend. I approached him at a conference and asked if I could take him to breakfast to discuss my career. I followed up with a hand written thank you card. A couple months later he called me, asked me to submit my resume online. Few days after that he called and told me the president of the company was going to be in town and wanted to meet me. I followed up that breakfast with a hand written thank you card...got an awesome job offer.

Out of my high school buddies the guy that is making the most money works for AFLAC. He couldn't get on at AFLAC so he went to work for a supplier, eventually got hired at AFLAC, kicked butt at his job, now he is some multiple regional sales manager and makes a ton of money, has about 60 plus people working for him.

My brother runs and opens restaurants.

Images

CEOs cold call me. Several companies put me on their payroll, just so they can tell investors that I am part of their organization, thus increasing the value of the company stock. The Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man", was actually a backup plan after I declined the position (because I only drink a specific hand crafted brew from Bryson City). Women throw themselves at me simply for my ability to secure employment. The air around me is always fresh like Spring time, and sunshine is always on my shoulder. In short, I love me - and everyone else should too.
    Biggie

I personaly know some wealthy entrepeneurs who are waiting until I'm available in order to start up several international companies, which, I might add, will employe many thousands of people. Unfortunatly I wont be available until I finish approxamately 100 or so bottles of highly rated vintage wines, which were gifted to me by several Victoria Secret models, (I know you know who they are.). Their hope is I manage their careers and satisfiy their every need. For this they will gladly pay me 10 figures.

Biggie Master, you may be my new hero

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie Master View Post
    CEOs cold call me. Several companies put me on their payroll, just so they can tell investors that I am part of their organization, thus increasing the value of the company stock. The Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man", was actually a backup plan after I declined the position (because I only drink a specific hand crafted brew from Bryson City). Women throw themselves at me simply for my ability to secure employment. The air around me is always fresh like Spring time, and sunshine is always on my shoulder. In short, I love me - and everyone else should too.
    if the air around you is always fresh, you havent been on the trail long enough.

Biggie Master and SurfnTurk:

Man, those careers y'all have sound awesome. I am particularly interested in the job having sex with models while earning ten figures. Please direct me to the website where I can apply for that position. Thanks.

Ty, first you must become an international male model.
    In all honesty, your loaded with confidence, which is a good thing, and you have the guts to admit a mistake. You seem like a good natured guy. I'm just messing with you.

biggie master is chuck norris.

chuck norris never sweats there for he hever stinks

therefore the air around biggie master is always fresh and sweet....
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

when biggie master does bench presses he doesnt push the weights up, he pushes the earth down

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    This may be too political for WB...but, I am not comfortable financing another's thru-hike. Hikers should be self sufficient imo.
    Airborne!!

Quote Originally Posted by surfnturk View Post
    Ty, first you must become an international male model.
    In all honesty, your loaded with confidence, which is a good thing, and you have the guts to admit a mistake. You seem like a good natured guy. I'm just messing with you.
    I didn't mention that I am an international make model

I tried to not brag or bring my personal situation into this but im being told that I don't know what I'm talking about when these are the strategies that I've used to get jobs or my friends and family have used to get jobs not 50 years ago just recently. I know bill gates but I've done pretty well for myself and for my family and I certainly wouldn't be where I'm at today if I applied to online jobs sat around my house and or gone hiking waiting for someone to call me back.

This topic fired me up because I think it's exemplary of the problems in this country is a whole right now. people in this country used understand hard work honesty integrity and generational advancement through hard work and education. sadly the in this country that's dying out in favor of who owe's me what what do I deserve who's gonna give me wht something for nothing.

sorry about the typos using my phone

I have been thinking about this thread a lot, and I have reconsidered my position.

Yes, I know that it is rare for folks to actually listen to the discussion and reevaluate their views, but it does happen....

Maybe it IS to the good of society if business fund folks going out and hiking.

The lasting effects on society would be worth what ever expense might come in the short term.

Unemployment is a cumbersome engine to harness, all the paperwork and waiting for the check.... really inconvenient.

What about using an already existing distribution method? There are various stores all along the trail.. and they keep cash and supplies on hand. How about just going from town to town robbing convenience stores?

What say the distinguished panel (or maybe the jury?).....
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

...so how long does cheese last on the trail?

All shelters should be torn down. Hikers should pay a $250.00 fee to thru-hike the AT. Hikers who carry less than 30lbs are weak. You should get a thru hiker certificate regardless of whether you blue-blazed, yellow-blazed or aqua-blazed. Trail magic should be readily accessible at every road crossing. Bill Bryson is a thru hiker! Leave your trash in the woods; 25 years from now it will be considered a "historical artifact". Earl who? Real men carry external frames. Wingfoot is God.

BTW-depends on what kind..hard ones are the best, softer ones tend to get oily after a couple of warm days.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    if the air around you is always fresh, you havent been on the trail long enough.
    Very true hikerboy... Also if the sun is always on my shoulder, I obviously wasn't on the AT (at least not for more than 24 hours)... But the good news is I will be out again next weekend for a short section from I-40 to Hot Springs...
    Biggie

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++