WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default MSR IsoPro fuel canister, storage question

Does the fuel in MSR IsoPro canisters store well? I've used an alky stove for 5+ years, but still have some canisters (some full, some partially full) that have been sitting in my closet for more than 5 years. I'm considering using my Pocket Rocket for an upcoming hike, and just wondered if the fuel in these canisters were still good and safe to use? I know I could call MSR when they open later today, but I'm impatient.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

If they were stored somewhere cool, the canisters should stay at a low pressure, reducing the chances of them leaking. As long as the threading/opening mechanism isn't busted, they should have stored fine.

You can find the weights/buoyancy of the canisters to determine if they have fuel left in them. The empty weights should be easy to locate.

The canisters should be fine, BUT don't use them if the valve assembly/threads are rusty or messed up. Screwed up threads can mess up the threads on your stove. Not worth it. If the canister's threads are clean and in good condition, you should be good to go.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

++ New Posts ++