WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Question The Five Most Influential Backpackers Of All Time

Has it ever been debated on who are the most influential backpackers of all time (Top 5 )? With the creation of the A.T. Museum, I know there was discussion about the most influential Appalachian Trail backpackers of all time (ie. Earl Shaffer), but what about in general?

I'd argue that Earl Shaffer makes that cut for pioneering the first "official" thru-hike, but what about someone like "Flyin' Brian" Robinson who became the first backpacker to conquer hiking's Triple Crown in a calendar year? He definitely took thru-hiking to an entirely new level? Curious to get your thoughts on this....

BirdShooter
    GA-ME 1994

Images

I'll give you four - Avery, Shaffer, Espy, and Irwin.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

If you are looking for "influential" then I'll go with Shaffer (obvious) and Ed Garvey (his book exposed many to the AT).

And while Robinson, Espy, and Irwin all deserve their place in history, I don't see how they were "influential" in changing other hikers behavior.

I feel as though there are alot of men and women who have been influential to long distance hiking, and there are alot of men and women who are dedicated to maintaining the trail. However, I feel that light weight gear and information has been the biggest influence the past decade.

Lone Wolf for sure, thousands of AT miles and thousands more WB post's!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

This thread should have been started in the "straight forward" section as its just a matter of time before Minnesota Smith gets mentioned.

Images

LMFAO, I was JUST typing his name.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Wingfoot needs to be included in the discussion of top 5 "most influential" as he created the first appalachian trail internet forum that had any appreciable membership, the existence of that website spawned this one. His "anniversary hike" (is that what it was called?) created interest as newspapers would meet him in town and then write about the trail. Updates were given on the radio in Atlanta.

And how about Bryson? How many millions of people heard about the trail because of his book?

Remember, the category is "most influential" not "strongest hiker".

What about Grandma Gatewood. I never heard of any of those other guys until I came to Whiteblaze but I knew about her. And don't forget Collin Fletcher for influential all-round backpacker.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdShooter View Post
    Has it ever been debated on who are the most influential backpackers of all time (Top 5 )? With the creation of the A.T. Museum, I know there was discussion about the most influential Appalachian Trail backpackers of all time (ie. Earl Shaffer), but what about in general?

I'd argue that Earl Shaffer makes that cut for pioneering the first "official" thru-hike, but what about someone like "Flyin' Brian" Robinson who became the first backpacker to conquer hiking's Triple Crown in a calendar year? He definitely took thru-hiking to an entirely new level? Curious to get your thoughts on this....

BirdShooter
    GA-ME 1994
    The AT is certainly a significant factor for many hikers, but this question goes beyond the AT.

John Muir.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Horace Kephart would be one.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Collin Fletcher - Hands Down.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Wingfoot needs to be included in the discussion of top 5 "most influential" as he created the first appalachian trail internet forum that had any appreciable membership, the existence of that website spawned this one. His "anniversary hike" (is that what it was called?) created interest as newspapers would meet him in town and then write about the trail. Updates were given on the radio in Atlanta.

And how about Bryson? How many millions of people heard about the trail because of his book?

Remember, the category is "most influential" not "strongest hiker".
    i agree. can't think of any others

Images

I would round out the top five with:

Harvey Manning
    Bill Kemsley
    Earl Schafer
    Grandma Gatewood

Honorable mention - Jim Kern

Images

Major Rogers of Rogers Rangers, James Fenimore Cooper, Colin Fletcher, Bill Bryson ( I thought if Katz could do it then I could do it ) , Wingfoot, These are people who actually influenced me. Schaffer, Garvey, and others I read about later
    Everything is in Walking Distance

The internet has made even the least of us here on this forum very 'influential'.

I have to say that I was influenced most by Fletcher. Also, G. W. Sears(Nessmuk) and Kepheart. John Muir gets my vote for first ultralighter that I knew of. Then, there was Lewis and Clark, my vote for provision planning influences. And, Moses, for sheer willingness to stay out on the trail for a long time.

The most influential foot traveler I can think of off the top of my head is Jesus Christ.

Ray Jardine?

Images

Looking over the "nominations", my position would be that we need to define what we mean by backpacking. Is it foot travel, when few other options were available - Jesus Christ, Lewis & Clark, etc? Or are we talking about carrying the items you need for your stay in the "wilderness" on your back - military could be considered here. Or finally, are we limiting it to what is generally considered recreational backpacking, heading out to hike and camp for the fun of it - this is what I defined it as, and most have so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Collin Fletcher - Hands Down.
    Absolutely number one
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++