WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AT speed record

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    outside of forrest gump, i dont think anyone could actually run the entire trail.
    I dunno, I'd bet some can, though I just can't imagine running some parts. I'd think injury would likely come into play from a fall at some point, but who knows. Not saying many can, but every year I see people running on terrain here in the Whites that I have trouble hiking over. Granted, I'm slow and I suck. But I got pretty much blown off the trail (had to jump out of the way just south of Little Haystack) by the Dartmouth College girls ski team this past fall - they were running the Bridal Path - Franconia Ridge - Liberty Spring trail loop. And I mean flat out running the entire way. Came flying past me jumping off some 4 foot drops and such. They jumped off them - I slid down on my butt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I dunno, I'd bet some can, though I just can't imagine running some parts. I'd think injury would likely come into play from a fall at some point, but who knows. Not saying many can, but every year I see people running on terrain here in the Whites that I have trouble hiking over. Granted, I'm slow and I suck. But I got pretty much blown off the trail (had to jump out of the way just south of Little Haystack) by the Dartmouth College girls ski team this past fall - they were running the Bridal Path - Franconia Ridge - Liberty Spring trail loop. And I mean flat out running the entire way. Came flying past me jumping off some 4 foot drops and such. They jumped off them - I slid down on my butt.
    i dont think i could tell the difference between a speed hiker and someone "running" the trail. i dont think you can run thru mahoosuc notch,up wildcat, up kinsman.
    its kinda like the fine line between a man fishing and a man standing on the shore with a stick, looking like an idiot.

Journal Entries

i dont think i could tell the difference between a speed hiker and someone "running" the trail. i dont think you can run thru mahoosuc notch,up wildcat, up kinsman.
    its kinda like the fine line between a man fishing and a man standing on the shore with a stick, looking like an idiot.
    good point. it really doesnt matter anyway. The record holder on the AT, WALKED the trail. i have seen people running up sections i can barely crawl up, some you mention here. i do envy those people.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I dunno, I'd bet some can, though I just can't imagine running some parts. I'd think injury would likely come into play from a fall at some point, but who knows. Not saying many can, but every year I see people running on terrain here in the Whites that I have trouble hiking over....
    On my '07 Long Trail thruhike, we were sitting at Battelle Shelter about 2/3 of the way up Mt. Abraham when this trail runner came by, waving at us as he ran up-slope doing a pretty good pace. OK - he was aerobically fit, he's going up. 20 minutes later, he passes us again running down at the same pace! Remember this is Northern VT. As my hiking partner and I said to each other, all it takes is one stumble on those rocks and there goes his running career.

One of my pet peeves are trail runners in the Whites. Yep, we have some nice trails off the AT that are fine but I hate you tell you how many injuries we have up here. Most of the SAR's don't even make the news. I've had runners go by me on Lion's Head or down Valley Way. I said something to several young fools on Mount Adams last year that were in fivefingers & they yelled at me. Last I saw, one had fallen & was limping down. What's the rush?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    I guess that would have made him in the 22 -23 age range. That is pretty good for such a young man. He doesn't have the experience yet, but perhaps by the time he is 32 he'll be breaking AT records if he doesn't get injured along the way. Before I would ever bet a dime that he'll set a record, I'd want to see a GA to Maine completion on the AT, and it would need to be done in about 2 months, injury free. This guy is good; no question about it, but inexperienced and is biting off more than he can chew IMHO.
    Agreed. Two months would be a superb outing for him.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Maybe ( The Guy ) Had a change of Luck with Love , I did a good section of the AT in Eastern Pa. and was looking for him to blow by me any day , But nevr seen hide nor hair of him , Doing the math he should have past thru , Maybe he is using his energy,s in other ways now , If u know what i mean , If he needs a Trail name though , It could be NO SHOW !!

Run, hike, bike, chill.

Don't trash the Run Bum until you know the Run Bum. He's a great guy and if there's anyone I would put my faith in to break the record it's him. Kids tough, trains, and eats smart. Already set the Duncan Ridge Trail FKT and puts in a ton of mileage running and hiking. He knows what he's doing and he knows what he's up against.

I'd like to see a transcript of that email if you mind posting it. Just out of curiosity, but I knew and even told him that he'd eventually get heckled on White Blaze by people who log more posts than they do miles.

Oh and on the note of trail running and speed hiking on the AT. It doesn't have a speed limit people. If you don't respect trail runners then stay out of the trail running forum. Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by jos2thehua View Post
    Oh and on the note of trail running and speed hiking on the AT. It doesn't have a speed limit people. If you don't respect trail runners then stay out of the trail running forum. Haha...
    The OP did not post to the trail running forum originally, appartently someone felt because of the title of the thread that it should be moved there. Wingedmokeys never understand the actions of the man behind the curtain.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Run, hike, bike, chill.

Thanks for the clarification WingedMonkey.

Honestly, not trying to cause hostility or insult but just defending the sport I love and a fellow trail runner. I think we can all live in harmony on the trail as I do both hiking and running. I've equally come across a lot of rude hikers who have that "I own the trail outlook so move out of my way".

I will also point out the the OP is a cottage producer of some fine light-weight tents. She did not start this thread in the trail running forum, but was instead making it known that she was hit up for a donation from what she though might be a dubious appeal for funding.

I'm sure that small companies like hers get hit up often by those thinking they are worth her free support.

Not to speak for her, but surely she must constantly have to decide what is a good promotion of her product and what is a a beg for a freebee.

My own thoughts anyway.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Don't trash the Run Bum until you know the Run Bum. He's a great guy and if there's anyone I would put my faith in to break the record it's him. Kids tough, trains, and eats smart. Already set the Duncan Ridge Trail FKT and puts in a ton of mileage running and hiking. He knows what he's doing and he knows what he's up against.

I'd like to see a transcript of that email if you mind posting it. Just out of curiosity, but I knew and even told him that he'd eventually get heckled on White Blaze by people who log more posts than they do miles.

Maybe you are inclined to clarify just a simple question for me and possibly some other members. Does any trail runner needs ten or more pair of shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Maybe you are inclined to clarify just a simple question for me and possibly some other members. Does any trail runner needs ten or more pair of shoes?
    LOL, welllll i mean if you are asking for free stuff might as well go all out right ?? lol my fav was the mp3 player lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    LOL, welllll i mean if you are asking for free stuff might as well go all out right ?? lol my fav was the mp3 player lol
    My question is like this: Doesn't an already experienced runner own a MP3 Player already? My 82 years old aunt has two and I mean it....

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I'm sure the rebound in the soles would bet pretty compressed by 200+ miles of trail running. I don't run in my trail runners and they lose their rebound fairly quickly.

Originally Posted by jos2thehua

I don't think anyone here has a real problem with running on the trail. If they get their jollies running on a trail, be it the AT or other trail, more power to them. Many might think they're missing out on the community of trail hikers, views, town stops, etc. and they are also right.

Asking people that you don't know for money is called panhandling in the city, and it leaves a sour taste in the mouths of those who are heckled by such people.

There must be a fine line between panhandlers and folks looking for free gear. If a runner can work for a year while he trains and saves up his cash for a record attempt I have respect for that.

Looking for sponsors to foot the bill for one's personal bid for glory is a little sketchy, imo, though not illegal.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Oh and on the note of trail running and speed hiking on the AT. It doesn't have a speed limit people.
    Not entirely true! There's a 10 mph speed limit sign 20 miles north of Hot Springs at the base of the side trail to Camp Creek Bald. Didn't see any Lidar though and in late October 2009 there weren't many people on the trail.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Run, hike, bike, chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Not entirely true! There's a 10 mph speed limit sign 20 miles north of Hot Springs at the base of the side trail to Camp Creek Bald. Didn't see any Lidar though and in late October 2009 there weren't many people on the trail.
    Lol, well I don't think many people are running the AT over 10 mph. That's blazing fast.

I still haven't seen a transcript of the email so we're only going by what the OP said Sean said which isn't very creditable in my opinion.

He isn't looking for people to give him handouts...he stated he would like donations. There's a difference between begging for handouts and asking for donations, but since I'm the only one who actually knows Sean in this entire discussion I think all your opinions of his motives are a little miscued.

Images

I'm trying to figure out the difference between a handout and a donation. Please elaborate.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the difference between a handout and a donation. Please elaborate.
    not sure this will explain, but its pretty cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...m7oU&vq=medium

Images

not sure this will explain, but its pretty cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...m7oU&vq=medium

I don't know their difference and I don't care ,the video was absolutely great and a great lesson.

Thank you Hikerboy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++