WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Newfound Gap-Standing Bear Farm/I-40

Hello my dear WhiteBlaze friends,

It has been a long time (almost a year and a half, which I guess isn't really that long) since I've been active here. For which I am very sorry! And now I come back only wanting favors. Of course. As you might be able to tell from my signature, I thru-hiked the AT in 2010. When I went through the Smokies in March, it was, ah, snowy. I've always had troublesome knees and one acted up for 17 miles before Newfound Gap. So I shuttled around the 2nd half.

Now, I finally have time to go back and do the second half and I'm super excited. I'm going with my mother & we're probably flying into Asheville. We thought about Knoxville, but it appears that coming from Boston, we'd have to fly thru two other cities before getting there-no thank you. Any suggestions for how to get from Asheville to Gatlinburg? (I think we'll fly in the day before we start hiking and then grab a short-range shuttle from Gatlinburg to Newfound Gap, though we could, I suppose start the same day and stop at that first shelter north of Newfound Gap).

We will be ending our Section at Standing Bear Farm and will need a shuttle back to Asheville (I really wish I could find a way to spend a night at Elmer's but I don't think it's happening, very sadly).

What shuttle services have people used and/or recommend? What kind of prices do you think we should expect?

Thanks so much folks.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Rent a car at the airport, drive to Standing Bear, have Curits or one of the crew drive you over to where need to start. Then drive back to the airport. That would likely be easier (and likely quicker and cost about the same) then getting shuttles back and forth and around.

If you can spend a few extra days down there, maybe do a loop by taking one of the lower trails from Davenport Gap into Gatlinburg, use the Gatlinburg - Cherokee tourist bus to get up to Newfound Gap and then hike the AT back to Standing Bear. It seems a shame to spend all that money on airfare just to spend 3 days down there. At least make it a week.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I wish I could-but I'm going to a bunch of places this year & my work isn't... benevolent with the vacation day structure. Too bad. I really wish I could, I know it's gorgeous around this time.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Images

When are you doing this?

Images

Also, if you are flying into Asheville, and plan on hiking Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap, why do you want to go to Gatlinburg? Get into the Smokies via Cherokee. It will be just over 1.5 hrs from the airport to Newfound Gap.

I agree with Heartfire. Also, if you come through on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll drive you to Newfound Gap. PM if you're interested.

We'll be hiking this section in September.

Happy trails!

Images

I'm flying in just before memorial day (again, with the yucky time off) and had originally planned to fly to Knoxville-gatlinburg is a remnant of that. Cherokee sounds better! Renting a car hadn't even occurred to me. So I'll have to look into that. I'm writing this from my phone, so apologies for missing something..
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I just hiked GSMNP in October. I flew into Asheville, arranged for a shuttle (from The Hike Inn as they are in Fontana where I started) and got a return shuttle to the airport through Standing Bear Farm. If you're doing Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap, I'd probably arrange shuttles from Curtis at Standing Bear Farm (423-487-0014). The problem with a rental is that you have to get a shuttle back to your car anyway, plus you're leaving the car in an exposed area for several days. A shuttle up to Newfound Gap from the Asheville airport will seem expensive, but it's a long, winding road and in the end you'd pay more for a rental and gas I believe.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++