WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone -- The Ultimate Ultralight Stove System?

Is the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone the ultimate ultralight stove system?

Hyperbole? Am I being a little "over the top?" Maybe. But maybe not.

When it comes to stoves, there's usually a reason behind what I say.

So, come along and let's have a look at the ultimate ultralight stove system, the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

I've updated my blog post so that it now has the weights of all components listed.

Have a look: the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone

HJ

Hikin_jim, I took a look at the Trail Designs webpage trying to figure out the differences between the Classic, Sidewinder, and ULC model of the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone and got aggravated at the poor description. They really need to find a way to make it easier for customers to decipher between the 3 models. A simple comparison graph would do wonders!

So, from what I gather the Sidewinder model is the only one that's able to fit inside your pot?

The sidewinder and the ulc fit inside your pot. The sidewinder is for short and wide pots. The ulc is for tall and narrow pots. There is a fourth choice called the fissure which fits inside a tall narrow pot but has the effeciancy of the full size caldera cone.

I am going for the fissure (custom made) to fit a snowpeak solo mini pot set with the inferno set up.

The only wish would be an adjustable alcohol burner.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes:1246006
    Hikin_jim, I took a look at the Trail Designs webpage trying to figure out the differences between the Classic, Sidewinder, and ULC model of the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone and got aggravated at the poor description. They really need to find a way to make it easier for customers to decipher between the 3 models. A simple comparison graph would do wonders!

So, from what I gather the Sidewinder model is the only one that's able to fit inside your pot?

Journal Entries
    Images

I really think a good question here for the newbies is you would not want to get this stove and not travel with a knife.... Quick removal of the bark before starting in WET WEATHER would be an important first step...

How do you feel about this... And are swiss up to the task or not.... Honest opinions... What I mean by that - don't post if you think a knife is unnecessary.. It will fall on deaf eyes....
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-29-2012 at 18:16.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ....... And are swiss up to the task or not...
    Watch Hendrick boil water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJuA7...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Ah. So it's not just me? Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm going to pass your comments on to the guys at Trail Designs. I really do think they need to beef up their descriptions of the products, and why aren't PDF's of the directions available for download?

Both the Sidewinder and the ULC will fit inside the pots that they were designed for. It's a nice option. The "classic" Cone will not fit inside a pot.

However, the classic isn't so bad. I roll it and store it in a plastic Ziploc container so it doesn't get bent up in my pack. I can get quite a lot into a plastic ZipLoc container. All of this:

Packs down to this:

And the Ziploc acts as my bowl.

There is also the Fissure which you have to custom order. The Fissure is basically a classic cone that disassembles into two pieces (an upper piece and a lower piece) so you can fit it into a pot.

HJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    The only wish would be an adjustable alcohol burner.
    I don't know if you saw it, but I recently posted about the FeatherFire which is the best adjustable flame alcohol stove that I've yet seen. The FeatherFire, like the 12-10 stove that comes with a Caldera Cone is a chimney type stove. The FeatherFire works pretty well inside a Caldera Cone.

HJ

This is good stuff. I've always been critical of the bulky size of the Classic CC. The ability to roll up and store the Sidewinder inside your cook pot is a plus. Wonder what the performance difference between it and a fold flat Emberlit titanium stove is?

http://www.emberlit.com/buy.php

I agree their website was a challenge for me as well.

-Stephen

This is good stuff. I've always been critical of the bulky size of the Classic CC. The ability to roll up and store the Sidewinder inside your cook pot is a plus. Wonder what the performance difference between it and a fold flat Emberlit titanium stove is?

http://www.emberlit.com/buy.php
    That would be interesting, wouldn't it? Hmm.

I have half a mind to do a wood stove "stove off," but I'm out of work right now and need to focus on job hunting. Argh. Still, maybe I can identify 5 of the top wood stoves and do some testing some weekend.

Some that spring to mind are:
    Ti-Tri Caldera Cone with Inferno option (of course)
    The Backcountry boiler
    The Bush Buddy

What else is popular? I've heard of the Nimble Will (I think that's the right name). There's the Vargo hex. I'm blanking right now, but I know if I think about it, half a dozen names will come to mind.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by cphobes View Post

-Stephen
    OK, I am definitely saying something to the guys at TrailDesigns. I'll let you know if they reply.

HJ

Default Wood Stove-stove off

Might want to throw one of these Bushcookers into the mix, "Uncle Tom" raved about it, in his TJ while hiking the PCT or you can check a youtube vid from the Four Dog web site.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPd0...eature=related

At 2.5 oz it is light enough and from the vids i have watch seems less fussy than the Caldera Cone setup, IMHO.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    Might want to throw one of these Bushcookers into the mix, "Uncle Tom" raved about it, in his TJ while hiking the PCT or you can check a youtube vid from the Four Dog web site.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPd0...eature=related

At 2.5 oz it is light enough and from the vids i have watch seems less fussy than the Caldera Cone setup, IMHO.
    I've heard of FourDog before. I'd love to add them to the mix. It's just a matter of arranging for a test unit for me to use for the evaluation.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by cphobes View Post
    Originally Posted by Spokes Hikin_jim, I took a look at the Trail Designs webpage trying to figure out the differences between the Classic, Sidewinder, and ULC model of the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone and got aggravated at the poor description. They really need to find a way to make it easier for customers to decipher between the 3 models. A simple comparison graph would do wonders!

-Stephen
    I talked to Rand at Trail Designs. He was actually very open to the idea. He posted an update to their FAQ as follows:
    How do I decide which Cone to get?
    1. First decision will be between the aluminum Caldera cones which only support alcohol and esbit or the titanium Ti-Tri cones which support 3 fuels (alcohol, esbit, and wood fires). The aluminum Caldera cones are less expensive but are limited to alcohol/esbit. The titanium Ti-Tri systems are more robust, will last longer, and support wood fires as well. If you only want alcohol/esbit fires check out the Caldera Cones.....but if you want a sturdier system that will provide you a wide range of cooking options, check out the titanium TiTri systems.
    2. Second decision is which system to choose in each category. The "Classic" Caldera or Ti-Tri come with a food grade plastic "Caddy" for storage and eating from. This is the most stable and efficient solution, but packs outside your pot. The "Sidewinder" system packs inside your pot sideways, so long as you are using a short/wide pot. The "ULC" packs inside the taller/skinnier pots, but is less efficient because so much of the pot is outside the warm confines of the cone.
    3. Third, for a full breakdown on all our options in a chart format, check out our Comparison Chart

Notice the link to a comparison chart. I had seen the comparison chart before, but I think the chart makes a lot more sense in light of the above verbiage.

What do you guys think? Helpful at all?

HJ

Much better. The FAQ and comparison chart is a great addition. It's refreshing to see a company so responsive to customer feedback.

Thanks for taking the lead on this HJ.

Jim
    The stove commonly referred to as the "Nimblewill Nomad" is actually called the Little Dandy Stove.
    Franco

Much better. The FAQ and comparison chart is a great addition. It's refreshing to see a company so responsive to customer feedback.

Thanks for taking the lead on this HJ.
    You're welcome. I found the addition helpful. I kind of had an idea before of what was going on, but now I have a much clearer understanding.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Jim
    The stove commonly referred to as the "Nimblewill Nomad" is actually called the Little Dandy Stove.
    Franco
    lol. I think Nimblewill Nomad sounds more manly, but I guess the stove is the important thing.

Thanks, Franco.

HJ

Jim
    This is the Nimblewill Nomad, M. J. "Eb" Eberhart.
    NomadBioPic.jpg

Pretty sure he is not worried about manliness...
    Franco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++