WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Coffee Re-Supply Question

I apologize for having to post this question, because I've seen it discussed before, but in attempting to 'search' it, I can't locate the thread. ?? I'm a morning coffee addict. Generally, I bring Starbucks VIA instant, but I know on my thru-hike that's impossible to get. So, will I be able to find a decent instant in the out-of-the-way small stores, or should I plan on buying regular coffee and having a perculator or french press? If so, what brand? In my research, I see there is a problem with press's and grounds seeping thru since they are more designed for coarse grounds. I'm not willing to carry beans and grind! Help.

Trail Name: TNT JAVA

Most of the convience stores had some sort of ground coffee, i.e., Folgers, Maxwell House. When you get to towns with a real grocery store there is a little more variety.

Maybe put it in your resupply box?

--louis

Images

I'm going to try to ween myself off coffee so I don't need it on my thru, but I'm thinking that may not be very possible.

Folgers sells little jars (8oz and 12oz) of instant coffee if you want to keep it simple, but the taste isn't that fantastic. They also make instant in pouches like VIA, which don't taste too terrible, or coffee in something like a tea bag, which doesn't have an awful taste either.

In terms of singles, my favorite that I've tried at home is Maxwell House International Cafe singles. They have iced options that mix with water and Carnation Instant Breakfast pretty well. I've had them cold and was very content.

If the flavor is important, then a French press will be your best bet, and you can just buy bags of coffee as needed. Gonna be a bit more bulk and weight to carry, though. And also, if you have the press and that much coffee, you might have people try to mooch some coffee off of you. So either be prepared to be ok with it, or be prepared to tell people to get their own.

It's very hard finding coffee anywhere along the trail or in the trail towns. However, you will have no problems finding fresh sushi.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    It's very hard finding coffee anywhere along the trail or in the trail towns. However, you will have no problems finding fresh sushi.
    Seriously?
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Folgers and Maxwell House both make coffee in tea bags and it tastes pretty good. Easy prep for a boil only person like me. It is easy to stop and have a pm cup in the afternoon also . Easy to find in about every re-supply town!

A package of 50 Starbucks VIA packs has a listed shipping weight of 12oz on the Amazon site. Once you throw away the box, you will probably loose some of that... seems like finding one of those a month (or mailing them to yourself) would take care of the problem....
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    A package of 50 Starbucks VIA packs has a listed shipping weight of 12oz on the Amazon site. Once you throw away the box, you will probably loose some of that... seems like finding one of those a month (or mailing them to yourself) would take care of the problem....
    I feel like the bulk/volume of 50 packets would be more the issue than the weight. I'm trying to picture what that would look like, and I feel that it'd be a lot of coffee to carry at once.

Journal Entries
    Images

talk to Hemlock Hollow 423-787-0917 or www.hemlockhollow.net @ 17 miles N of Hot Springs, or at least visit there, they have 50+ (a lot) canisters of all types of fresh beans, they grind them to your specs, package them up for you & I hear they'll even mail them to you up the trail? + there's a great cafe!! I'm not sure what they do as far as instant coffee, but I'm sure any backpacker thats been on trail for a few months WILL come up with a unique way of brewing their Joe!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    I feel like the bulk/volume of 50 packets would be more the issue than the weight. I'm trying to picture what that would look like, and I feel that it'd be a lot of coffee to carry at once.
    It should not be too bad. On my October SNP hike I had two '20' packs in a small ziplock.... it was not very large since the packages are so small and skinny.

Favorite quote;
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

You could just use ground coffee a funnel and a filter, cheap and efficient.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

A 50 count box sells for $28.95 at Amazon and they are listed at 3.3 gram packages. 5.89oz. Fairly economical.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    A 50 count box sells for $28.95 at Amazon and they are listed at 3.3 gram packages. 5.89oz. Fairly economical.

Oh sure, go and DO the math....

Favorite quote;

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    Yeah but you would be the most popular person at the shelter every morning.

Most of the food store chains down on this end of the trail (Ga. and NC) carry Via. Just wing it and use any instant you can find.

crunchy spider shelter mouse roll. All you need to bring is rice, wasabi and soy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes:1254586

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    crunchy spider shelter mouse roll. All you need to bring is rice, wasabi and soy.
    I just puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by louisb View Post
    Yeah but you would be the most popular person at the shelter every morning.
    I imagine the bulk would be remedied by selling off the extra packets to those facing coffee withdrawal. You could make a bit extra $ to help fund the next supply

Also the famous crunchy frog roll is to die for!

Quote Originally Posted by Juice:1254724
    Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    I just puked in my mouth a little.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++